Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2018, 10:37 AM

Default Electronic predator call.

Looking for input on electronic predator calls. What are guys using Good or bad trying to narrow down what is the best option.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:55 AM

I use the cheapest Foxpro there is, and it works just fine.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 PM

I use an older model FoxPro can't recall the model right now. It works well and has a remote. The remote is handy at times but not necessary by any means.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 PM

I Use the Alpha Dogg---wouldn't spend $350 on it, but picked it up for $200 on sale---works great. Use Duracell Quantum batteries with a toe warmer stuck to the battery case-works great
Old 12-04-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I Use the Alpha Dogg---wouldn't spend $350 on it, but picked it up for $200 on sale---works great. Use Duracell Quantum batteries with a toe warmer stuck to the battery case-works great
Hey, the toe warmer sound like a good idea to try. Here I am taking a bunch of spare batteries and crying them inside my jacket.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Hey, the toe warmer sound like a good idea to try. Here I am taking a bunch of spare batteries and crying them inside my jacket.
I stick one to the inside of the battery unit--lots of room, and one on the back of the remote. Add one to each decoy battery pack too. The red Quantums are on sale at Costco and work pretty good in the cold.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:39 PM

I have a somewhat different view on e-callers.Everbody has them,they all play the same sounds,coyotes are getting used to them and either bolting or not responding.Here's a idea.....get a open reed CUSTOM call and make your own sequences.I can vary the sound to keep the vote interested,I don't worry about battery's,I don't worry about the cold and if it will turn on and off,I can make any coyote vocalization you need .I have had e-calls but never will I hunt coyotes with another one,crows yes,magpies yes.There are very few factory made calls that can perform like a custom hardwood call,learn how to use it and see what happens....you might just be a bit surprised at the results!
Old 12-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
I have a somewhat different view on e-callers.Everbody has them,they all play the same sounds,coyotes are getting used to them and either bolting or not responding.Here's a idea.....get a open reed CUSTOM call and make your own sequences.I can vary the sound to keep the vote interested,I don't worry about battery's,I don't worry about the cold and if it will turn on and off,I can make any coyote vocalization you need .I have had e-calls but never will I hunt coyotes with another one,crows yes,magpies yes.There are very few factory made calls that can perform like a custom hardwood call,learn how to use it and see what happens....you might just be a bit surprised at the results!
The only thing custom in a "custom" call is the barrel. They all get the same tone boards and reeds from the same two or three places. I made calls for a while, so I know how they are made. Off the shelf open reed calls are every bit as good, in my opinion anyway. Diaphragms is what I'm playing with now, a bit of a learning curve. I agree with everything else you posted, interestingly, most of the sounds on an E-caller are made by people using open reed calls and recorded.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-04-2018, 04:55 PM

I have found that the custom hardwood barrels produce a better sound,maybe it's all in my head but I have way better luck with a hardwood barrel,The plastic ones sound is not as rich,or again it just might be my muzzle blast deafened ears LOL
Old 12-04-2018, 05:33 PM

Had the original Primos Powerdog. Okay call for the money but after a year the remote range shrunk considerably.

Next was a Foxpro Fury with the decoy. Worked very well. Had an issue with a speaker on it so sent it back to FoxPro who set the standard for customer service. They added the FoxBang feature to it for me at that time as well. Call was clear and loud enough and coyotes came in no problem.

Sold it and bought the Fury II and decoy. Worked as advertised. Sold it as well.

Now run the Shockwave with decoy. Best sounding call so far and the remote is leaps and bounds better than the Fury remotes. Lots of memory for calls to be stored on it. Has so many Fox features it is ridiculous. Like the stereo capabilities plus being able to point speakers which way you want. Pricey though.

In all my calls I run the rechargeable FoxPro batteries and no issues ever.

Only complaint I have with FoxPro is when you turn the remote off it does not remember some play settings (continuous versus single play) so you have to reset it before you start your stand if you do not want continuous play.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 PM

There are pros and cons to using calls during the colder months. E calls are hard on batteries and reed calls can freeze up. Both can be a pain but can also be very productive. I have learned to use either which can also increase your calling options.

OP if your interested I have a spare Fox Pro that I could sell, which I used for wolves with success.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a Flextone Echo. Can't tell you how effective it is, I've only used it once.

It sure sounds authentic to me and I like the range of sounds that came with it.

I was a bit dissapointed with the battery life the only time I used it, but I've solved that issue. Now I run it with an external 9800 mah lithium battery and it will run for days without charging.

I do plan on doing as much Coyote and Wolf calling with it this winter as money and weather permits. So I'll see. That is, if I can learn how to use the thing.

I've done very little predator calling in my life, and even less succesfully.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2018, 08:55 PM

Mine is a homemade unit, my brother uses a foxpro (not sure which model) both work, his is handier with the remote etc.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 PM

When fox pro calls first become legal to use I bought one and had great luck with it. Couple years ago I bought a fox pro fusion just for the bigger font size on the remote. It works ok but still wasn’t having the success I used to. I went back to using mouth calls again and they are working great.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:04 PM

Very happy with my Foxpro Hellfire.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 PM

Default Johnny Stewart GS2

I figure I'd throw my 2 cents in here. Been calling a lot of years and I have used hand calls from various makers with a lot of success. I use the JS GS2 for a few years now. With my GS2 I am able to go in and delete the sounds I don't want or need and put in new sounds that are what I want. I am also able to go in and make the order of the sounds listed in my preference and style. I have a sequence that I find work well. Hand calls are still my go to if I've never called an area before as I can control so much of the sound myself.