Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Default How do feral horses affect elk and deer?

I took a walk on the weekend in an area that seemed promising to hunt. Some sign of game but mostly just horses (had one right at the gf and I). Do the horses push out all of the other animals or might it still be worthwhile to scout around the area?
Old 08-24-2015, 12:00 PM

Depends who you ask... Lol, been threads on here before. Usually gets very heated. Do a search with the search function.
FIRE.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:48 PM

So many horses out there, I don't think they make a difference, game has gotten used them being around. At the Ya Ha, not unusual to see elk grazing right in with the ranch horses.

Grizz
Old 08-24-2015, 05:00 PM

IBTL

I have witnessed them co-exist quite nicely by the Brazeau. It wouldn't deter me.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So many horses out there, I don't think they make a difference, game has gotten used them being around. At the Ya Ha, not unusual to see elk grazing right in with the ranch horses.

Grizz
When I have hunted the Ya Ha for elk, I have seen more horses and horse poop then I ever saw elk or elk poop. Them studs sure like to stack it high, if you know what I mean?

Seeing a wild horse is neat, but I always wondered how they tasted. I'll bet pretty good!

Giddy Up!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post
When I have hunted the Ya Ha for elk, I have seen more horses and horse poop then I ever saw elk or elk poop. Them studs sure like to stack it high, if you know what I mean?

Seeing a wild horse is neat, but I always wondered how they tasted. I'll bet pretty good!

Giddy Up!
Feral.....
Old 08-24-2015, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Feral.....
Yep unless they were born in the wild, but now completely wild and they don't like humans!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Giddy Up!

If you've ever watched the NFB film, Project Grizzly, there's a clip of a Grizzly feeding right along side a bunch of the ranch horses, without them paying him any mind.

Grizz
Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Giddy Up!
No wildies on the ranch. But I bet if you talked to Smith up at the Ranch buildings he would let you hug and kiss one of the ranch horses!or Maybe a guy could "adopt"(hug and kiss and maybe taste) one from the Limestone or,Ranger station,or west of Coal Camp,or Williams Creek.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 PM

Just heard from a pretty good source that the DNA testing is complete . The horses are feral , nothing wild about them . Some have halters on . Also there may another round up and if not successful it would mean a cull by hunters on a special license...The escaped horse's compete very much with the elk and deer for winter survival feeding grounds ....
Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Feral horses, feral cats, all the same to me. I like them but can't eat a whole one myself.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
No wildies on the ranch. But I bet if you talked to Smith up at the Ranch buildings he would let you hug and kiss one of the ranch horses!or Maybe a guy could "adopt"(hug and kiss and maybe taste) one from the Limestone or,Ranger station,or west of Coal Camp,or Williams Creek.
Maybe it was him that was setting up all of those horse traps I saw?

All I can tell you is that I have many wild horses to include a Black Stallion with a Pinto mare and her colt up close and personal as well as a herd of 9 of them while bow hunting the Ya Ha, as wild as wild gets. Very beautiful actually.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:20 PM

your wild is in the wild and not the horses.. you can go to a petting zoo and see the same .... so are you applying for the special draw and take one home ? those horses are tame , sorry but your wild experience is tainted that's what happens when you see and deal with feral horses ...
Old 08-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you've ever watched the NFB film, Project Grizzly, there's a clip of a Grizzly feeding right along side a bunch of the ranch horses, without them paying him any mind.

Grizz
Witnessed that myself first hand on the FTR 2 years ago,just north of the Red Deer R. in the burnt area....big ol grizz ripping up stumps,and a dozen horses 400m away that could seem to care less?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
your wild is in the wild and not the horses.. you can go to a petting zoo and see the same .... so are you applying for the special draw and take one home ? those horses are tame , sorry but your wild experience is tainted that's what happens when you see and deal with feral horses ...
Oh Geezeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, how old are you?

I started working on horse ranches as a cowboy when I was 9. I have ridden the best quarter horses on open range, rounded up cattle and personally branded, castrated and dehorned them when I was 16 years old, that was 39 years ago. Guess I know about horses a little bit, no pun intended.

Please share you vast experience(s)?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
I took a walk on the weekend in an area that seemed promising to hunt. Some sign of game but mostly just horses (had one right at the gf and I). Do the horses push out all of the other animals or might it still be worthwhile to scout around the area?

They eat they expel waste and if you wish you can eat.

Fire.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Oh Geezeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, how old are you?

I started working on horse ranches as a cowboy when I was 9. I have ridden the best quarter horses on open range, rounded up cattle and personally branded, castrated and dehorned them when I was 16 years old, that was 39 years ago. Guess I know about horses a little bit, no pun intended.

Please share you vast experience(s)?
No offence meant . If you knew that maybe some of those horses you talk about have descendants out there at the ya tinda that you experienced as wild , would you change your thoughts of wild.. The problem is people see them in the wild and associate them as such and its hard for some to separate the wild and what belongs out there and what's feral .. hopefully you understand .. otherwise I have some grazing lease out in the wild with some sheep . if you want to see them let me know ....
Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Thanks. I will keep looking around there then.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
No offence meant . If you knew that maybe some of those horses you talk about have descendants out there at the ya tinda that you experienced as wild , would you change your thoughts of wild.. The problem is people see them in the wild and associate them as such and its hard for some to separate the wild and what belongs out there and what's feral .. hopefully you understand .. otherwise I have some grazing lease out in the wild with some sheep . if you want to see them let me know ....
Thanks for the offer bud

Last edited by elkivory; 08-24-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:09 PM

I hear that the horses battle and compete furiously with the sasquatch over hunting territory. Supposedly a horse will eat a whole bull elk in 3 days....

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Just heard from a pretty good source that the DNA testing is complete . The horses are feral , nothing wild about them . Some have halters on . Also there may another round up and if not successful it would mean a cull by hunters on a special license...The escaped horse's compete very much with the elk and deer for winter survival feeding grounds ....

i heard they got 30 DNA samples out the 100 or so they need and it might take another year. so what's your source?

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
If that's true, I'll bet they keep it quiet. The "Wild horse Lovers" seem to have split into two groups, Henderson's bunch who seem willing to work with SRD and Glover and company, who want total protection. They're the ones who came up with this DNA crap.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 08-24-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
i heard they got 30 DNA samples out the 100 or so they need and it might take another year. so what's your source?
Why would you need a hundred ? The collection method seems haphazard as well. Bring us some hair for testing. Can't see how that would be definitive either. Would have been easy to do on the bunch caught last winter, so why wasn't it done then ? For credibility, this study is about the same as the tobacco industry investigating the dangers of smoking.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 08-24-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 PM

Default Habitat

Those horses often beat the elk to their winter food source when times are tough. Horses aren't indigenous in Alberta, so not sure why the DNA sampling is going on? It's a rats nest of an issue, and what happens when folks don't manage their stock properly. They tend to like hanging out on the trunk road a fair bit, nuisance animal in my opinion in the wild. And ive worked with horses as well, not as much as some on here though. Oh, and I wouldn't hunt around them myself, any non target species is just another nose and set of eyeballs to evade.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post

just the ferals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WHWap.jpg (92.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg WHW.jpg (60.3 KB, 60 views)

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-26-2015, 10:56 AM

It's odd, elk don't seem bothered when riding horses around them. Seen a few ferals but never anything else around. My Uncle was attacked by a bull elk once, as he rode horse into the herd and had no issues until the bull decided it was time for them to leave.

I kind of would treat it like when they have cows grazing, probably won't be deer/elk/etc around until they are gone, unless you are lucky.