Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

Default I Am Such A Dumb *****

Got up early this morning had a shower.. Everything was going good at the site so I was going to head out for a quick morning hunt for my Mulie.. Put on my freshly washed camo, filled the pack sack, with the knife, axe, grunt tube, couple granola bars.. Grabbed the gun checked the scope yup good to go finally opening morning.. Got halfway out the door,, AHHHHHHHHHHHH dumb ***** FORGOT TO PICK UP MY FRIGGIN TAG...... Do you beleive it.. I have been sitting on this draw for 5 years now.. I finally decide on a zone and apply and get it and I forgot to pick up the damn thing...

So I guess its off to town and grab a tag... Maybe get out tonight... If not I may have to wait till next weekend...

P.S. I am in wmu 152,, only weekend hunting....
Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Pretty easy for something like that to happen. Seems to be less time everyday to get things done.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 AM
sheephunter

I think there's a name for that condition Walleyes...altzheimers...no no...it's oldtimers.....

I know I suffer from it routinely.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 AM

I have never forget to get my tags, but 3 years ago i was heading up the cabin for a week of deer/moose hunting when a i was just through Westlock heading north a look over and there was a brush pile burning all of a sudden a light bulb in my head went off and i realized i forgot my knifes. ( i felt like an idiot) luckily the dapp corner store has an awesome supply of hunting stuff and was able to get a knife to get me thru the week.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 AM

Been there, done that. Success on your hunt. I will be hunting for my muley in 151 next week. See if you can send a couple my way. After you have yours of course.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:48 AM

I had a similar bout with “oldtimers” last week. Opening day sees me walk into a herd of elk at first light. I have my backpack, water, snacks, surveyor’s tape, saw, knives, flashlight, headlamp, binoculars, spotting scope, calls, licenses, first-aid kit and extra clothing. I see two legal bulls including a huge 6X6 which would have likely been my best to date. My stalk goes perfect and I am close enough for a good, clean shot. I go to chamber a round and come to the horrifying realization that I have left both my clip and my bullets back at camp. I contemplated a bayonet charge on the 6X6 and then wisely decide against this course of action.

I hiked back to camp, retrieved my clip and ammo and haven’t come across those elk for the past week. Oh well... it’s the thrill of the chase! Regards, Mike
Old 11-01-2007, 09:51 AM
sheephunter

Ouch...now that hurts!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned

Bull shooter,, I don't know weather to cry for you or laugh,, man thats got to hurt...I hope you still have some days left to try and get another chance good luck..

sheep,, it may have something to do with my highschool days if you know what I mean,, never used to take care of myself very well... At least I think I went to highschool lol
Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 AM

It was a similar experience to watching one of those "B" Horror movies; where the preppy college guy is trying to get away from the zombie, hops in his car and it won't turn over. All you are thinking is that the guy is a Dumb ***** and deserves to get ground into meat, because he is so stupid. On this particular hunt, I realized that I was the preppy college guy... it was humbling. Regards, Mike
Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 PM

Default oldtimers

Notice how as we get older our stories gradually change from, "no s...t, there I was", to "dumb*****" moves stories? I know I have. Long as there's still stories to laugh about around the campfire, life is good. Now, was I walking uphill, or downhill?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 PM
s_buffalo

Heh, you could probably run a whole thread on the "I forgot the key to my trigger lock" stories!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 PM

you older gents don't fell to bad i'm 38 last weekend a friend and i were out bow hunting got to where we were hunting and couldn't find my release got home and found it on the table beside the door along with my call so it's not o;dtimers i call it sometimers sometimes i remember sometimes i don't
Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_buffalo View Post
Heh, you could probably run a whole thread on the "I forgot the key to my trigger lock" stories!
My Dad once forgot his trigger lock on after an hour hike into the valley we were going to for elk... It was the funniest thing in the world. But just a note for everyone if it happens to you, try someone elses trigger lock keys. I swear there are only 4 different key cuts out there for trigger locks. It worked for my Dad that day.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 PM

s_buffalo an few years ago went down to Chauvin area to deer hunt but took my 12ga because there was an oppurtunity to take part in my first ever duck hunt. Well the day arrived to take part in the duck hunt, went to get my shotgun out then realized that my keys to the trigger lock where in Edmonton. never did have my first duck hunt but still laugh at myself to this day for that "dumdazz" move. plus the guy i went with won't let me live it down either.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Don’t even get me started... too late. I carry three identical Cobra releases when I am bow hunting. I keep one in my pack, one attached to my bow and another in my coat. I have only forgotten all three on two occasions, so I am pretty pleased with that statistic.

The keys to the trigger lock really tried my patience, so I now keep a cordless drill with a TiN bit inside my hunting truck. I had to use it once and it was pretty messy and slow but I did manage to get the lock off with minimal damage to the trigger guard. As necessity is the mother of invention, I have had much better results using a 6” stainless steel machinist’s rule to depress the lock spline... works like a charm.

I get lost at least twice a year and this is hunting on my own property. To solve this problem, my wife gave me a GPS for Christmas last year, but I can’t remember where I put it.

But the good news to the situation is that I will come home with a new 30-06 and the wife will say, “Don’t you already have 6 or 7 other 30-06’s”, and I will say “Do I?”, and then she will let it slide because it’s likely a mental/medical condition and it wouldn’t be polite or proper to embarrass me any further. Regards, Mike (or Lord Dumb ***** to you neophytes)
Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 PM

I think Jeff foxworthy said it best " here's your sign"
Old 11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

"I get lost at least twice a year and this is hunting on my own property."

Now thats a good one

Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

Well here go's another... Its not only age...

Quite a few years back when I was still living at home and hunting with my father,, I beleive I was around 15 or 16 years old,, anyways we were up in the Manning country down the Chin road hunting Moose as usual... On the 2nd or 3rd morning of calling and no results Dad decided to head into camp a little early. So being full of pi$$ and vinegar at the time my cousin and I decided we didn't feel like heading back into camp just yet so I asked dad for the birch bark which he smirked at and told me "don't call to many" as he handed it to me.. So off we go to a beaver damn that we had found the day before.. It was a new calling spot to all of us and it was to be the first time we called at it.. We get to the spot at around 10:30 in the morning and I start to call... This being my first time calling on my own we really didn't have much faith in it but it was better than sitting in camp.. It was a warm day I recall I was calling in my T-shirt.. On the second call about 15min later we get a grunt and soon a second hear he comes !!!! Sure as anything a nice 4 year old comes on strong we watched him come from a long ways never did he stop once came rite out broad side 200yrds.. Well the old cousin being the gentlemen that he was and both of us young so it was always a competition he lets er rip on the old Remington model 760 pump 30-06 downs it with one shot through the ribs... Wooohooo a moose down and the first one I ever called to boot.. Well were we happy.. So off to get our prize we go.. We get up to the moose and it is still kicking a bit so I go to give it the good old insurance shot to back of the head,, cock my Remington model 760, 270 (see where the competition is from) any ways I cock it and click, cock it again click, what the hell I open the chamber and what the heck !! here I was walking around the bush hunting for 2 days with no damn shells in my gun,, and in grizz country to boot... Well I'll tell you it took along while in that camp to live down that one...

P.S. We ended up with 3 bulls in total that week...
Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM

at least i'm not the only one having had issues with my trigger lock!!! LOL

A couple years ago i had to shoot my Muley with a buddies rifle because i had left the keys for the lock at home. Once i got through that day, all guns were switched the combination locks. Never have that problem again... until i forget the code!!

Another time I wanted to get out for a quick hunt after work and in the process i stopped at home and got all the gear, the gun, the shells and away I went. Drove all the way to my favorite spot for Huns, get the boots and clothes on and try loading the shottie but have major trouble... I had the 20 gauge (right gun) and the 12 gauge ammo!!.. oops! LOL

There are more too but those two always make me laugh... the Muley incident, I almost tore the rifle off my buddies back because it was by far my best deer to date (he didn't have that tag).
Old 11-01-2007, 07:35 PM

Better to dicover you forgot your tag, before the kill, than after.
Grizz
Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM

I'm now lmfao! Why? Because I've done nearly ALL of those things so I feel your pain. I keep copies of my keys everywhere. My release stays strapped to my bow....period. Yet I have to admit one that has ya all beat.

Several years ago, my wife and I flew to Nova Scotia to spend Christmas with my parents. I cased up (black, hard-sided) my beloved .22mag for a couple of weeks of bunny hunting. After about 10 hours of airports and planes, we arrived in the utter chaos that is Halifax International's baggage carousel. I hadn't been back home in about five years and this was 4pm on Christmas Eve. It was a madhouse. Anyway (I'm sure you can see where this is going....) we grad everything, drive 2.5 hours to my parent's house, have some drinks, tell some stories and wait for Santa. Soooo, two days later when everything has settled down a bit, I'm going rabbit hunting for the first time in years!! When I try to unlock my guncase, the damn key won't work! I tried and tried, and nothing. Now I'm getting MAD! Finally, I manage to 'pick' the lock/case open. Woooo hoooo! Oh oh, why is there a 12 gauge where my .22mag should be??? Packed the wrong gun, eh? Nope! We grabbed the WRONG case from the baggage carousel! After several hours on the phone, my gun (which spent hours spinning around before someone noticed) arrived the next morning via courier, and the other one (God I felt so bad for the other guy, but couldn't get in touch to apologize) was taken back. Ughh. Then I killed a whack of bunnies with it!

Tree
Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Oldtimers..No doubt

A couple of weeks ago, headed for 346. Got an hour or so down the road.
Asked my son 'we got the fish hey'?..The fish key chain holds the keys to the locks on the guns..."nope, no fish Dad !.Turn around, head for home.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 PM

About 10 years ago I arrived at camp deep in the backwoods southwest of Grande Prairie for a 6 day moose hunt. The following morning I awoke ready to hit the bush... went to change and.. realized I forgot to take any changes of underwear...

That morning's hunt was replaced with a 3 hour round trip drive to Grande Prairie to purchase some fruit of the looms...

Expensive underwear.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:56 PM

First:
TREE I WILL GET EVEN FOR YOU RUINING THE LOCK ON MY GUN CASE!
Second, WTH with all the trigger locks?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
First:
TREE I WILL GET EVEN FOR YOU RUINING THE LOCK ON MY GUN CASE!
Second, WTH with all the trigger locks?

Had I know it was your, I wouldda KEPT it!

Let's just day my case is now bright orange. Black always seems to cause me problems.

Tree
Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
About 10 years ago I arrived at camp deep in the backwoods southwest of Grande Prairie for a 6 day moose hunt. The following morning I awoke ready to hit the bush... went to change and.. realized I forgot to take any changes of underwear...

That morning's hunt was replaced with a 3 hour round trip drive to Grande Prairie to purchase some fruit of the looms...

Expensive underwear.
Ohh come on pretty boy let them suckers roast for a few days...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Let's see you do it!

Wait...

I don't want to see that.

With fuel costs factored in, at approximately $20 a pair, those fruit of the looms were a bargain.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Hey don't forget there are two side to the fruit of looms.. Just flip them inside out and you got a clean side...