Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Banned

Default So the Quebec election is tomorrow...

Thoughts? Grumbles? Couldn't care less?

I sincerely hope the PQ gets in with a majority - or at least a big minority. Pauline Marois is one scary broad.

Quebec is up to their eyeballs in debt, 1/4 of a trillion estimate, but she still wants to spend, spend and spend some more to lock down the french way of life. Everything else be darned and wants a referendum asap...

Interesting article out of the Toronto Sun...

Quote:
They may find, to their surprise, that Prime Minister Stephen Harper also believes that Ottawa ought to do more to get out of the way of the provinces and he'd be perfectly prepared to let Quebec have more responsibilities - and pay more of their own share - in certain key areas.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/03...at-from-quebec

Last edited by silverdoctor; 09-03-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Wrong numbers...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Banned

Default My favourite quote from the article....

"Canada has been immeasurably enriched by Quebec in non-monetary ways. It is the province that has given Canada five prime ministers, its first astronaut, inventors, deep thinkers, authors, dancers, entrepreneurs, filmmakers, singers and, of course, dozens upon dozens of the greatest hockey players to ever lace up skates. Quebec has added to Canada's wealth with poutine, tourtiere, Perce Rock and the splendour of the Saguenay."

Thanks. Deep thinkers huh. 5 prime ministers...thanks a lot again. Dancers, that canada has paid for, entrepeneurs that have been at the Cdn trough, singers, astronauts, etc etc etc....every single Quebec "contibution" has been nothing but another freaking hobby that the rest of Canada has paid for.

My second favourite quote...and what I would like to see as a motto on Alberta licence plates.... "Quebec has received $146 billion" of course we would need to add 5 billion or so to that number every year.

I pray that Marois gets in and I pray that Quebec has a change of heart and releases the rest of Canada from its burden. We could accept the northern 2/3 of quebec as repayment. It could be renamed Alberta II.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Banned

Found this funny too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfRfwZw-zjQ

The way Harper has been handling everything else, I don't think he's going to get pushed around by her at all.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Seems like Canada's cancer is about to catch a stiff bout of its own.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM

Right on. I'm hoping pq gets in and they split... Quebecs budget is about 25% equilization payments VS about 10-15% for the rest of the provinces minus NFLD who is the only one who actually recieves none.

They are the one who is running Canada into the ground fiscally... Alberta, BC.SK,Ontario,MB run on about 10-15% equilization which is pretty good considering there are 10 province dividing the payments. Nova scotia and new brunswick are up there but have very small populations.

Quebec is is like a friggin' boat anchor. Considering Harper doesn't have much to loose in quebec maybe this is the perfect storm for getting them out? I'd imagine Flarehty is allready crunching the numbers of Canada sans quebec,lol
Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 PM

Here's hoping that PQ wins. Then we will see if they will carry through on their promise to leave Canada.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Here's hoping that PQ wins. Then we will see if they will carry through on their promise to leave Canada.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 PM

It will be interesting to see how the election results will affect the large inquiry/comission into corruption in the construction industry that they have going on.

All that missing money will have had to have went somwhere.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Forget the ideal of Quebec leaving Canada, it's never going to happen and that was never the plan to begin with. It's always been about the spoiled child that "deserves" special treatment and they've always been doted on.

Marois' whole platform is about locking down French Quebec and fighting with the federal government - that's all she's running with. She's appealing to peoples patriotism - and if history dictates, that's all it's going to take. It's Marois' game plan that's going to finish off the province - the woman has no idea about economics and nor does she care.

For example, companies in quebec with 50 or more employees have to deal with the strict language laws - therefore, many businesses cap their employees @ 49. Marois wants to change that magical number from 50 to 10, so how many businesses is she going to drive away? Business can only deal in French? LOL

Immigrants are another good example, they won't have a chance to learn english - they will be forced to learn french and only french. Really Pauline?

She will hire more language police, maybe that's the new jobs she's planning on creating LOL.

There's a long list of problems with this woman - and if she gets a majority, Quebec is going to be toast. People are saying that this is the most dangerous election ever in Quebec? You got that right.

People are tired of Charest and the corruption and many are going to vote just to block his party. Marois sings a good song but on paper? Wow.

Stephen Harper has no real background or history with Quebec, certainly no love for them - and he's proven that he's not one for being bullied, that's a positive through this whole thing. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with a blowhard if Marois gets the majority.

I'm not one for politics - but i'll definitely be watching the outcome of this one...
Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
It will be interesting to see how the election results will affect the large inquiry/comission into corruption in the construction industry that they have going on.

All that missing money will have had to have went somwhere.
I don't think any of us will be surprised as to where and how much but after the Election, if Charest loses, look for this to become a witch hunt of epic proportions.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 AM

Oh for the love of god, there's a whole country of French people across the water. Keeping a majority of French speaking people is one thing but a lot of this just sounds retarded. You'd think they were natives from the way they think their culture is so supremely unique.

The article makes a good point that Quebec indulges in social programs that the provinces funding them can't have. If they're really supposed to be equalization payments then shouldn't all of us have lower tuition?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Maybe we could encourage them with a donation?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 AM

Apparently there are a great number of Quebecers that think they are getting the short end of the stick on equalization payments, and in fact pay more into it than they get back. Talk about being brainwashed.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:04 AM

They'd be better off on their own.

So would we.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

So would we.
So true!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

So would we.
Lol, well we might.

Lets see, they'd go from having "not enough equalization payments" to having no equalization payments. Not to mention their "dollar" or whatever they choose to call it will be suddenly a lot lower in value compared to the rest of the world. Hence their homegrown companies will have so little buying power they'll probably all go bankrupt overnight.

So then half of their little country ends up on their brand new welfare system. Their currency will drop in value even more and they'll keep spiraling downward until they're reclassified as a 3rd world country within the year.

But at least they'll all be speaking French...since every English speaking person will get the hell out of there. So maybe it'll be worth it.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM

It is never good to enable dependency. Ask most of our native tribes.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Separatism and sovereignity in Quebec doesn't mean leaving Canada and becoming their own country, they aren't going to leave and it was never the plan. They want more power within Canada, including the power of veto, but keep sucking on the government teet under the Canadian economy.

1980 Quebec referendum - This is the question posed to the people of Quebec....

The Government of Quebec has made public its proposal to negotiate a new agreement with the rest of Canada, based on the equality of nations; this agreement would enable Quebec to acquire the exclusive power to make its laws, levy its taxes and establish relations abroad - in other words, sovereignty - and at the same time to maintain with Canada an economic association including a common currency; any change in political status resulting from these negotiations will only be implemented with popular approval through another referendum; on these terms, do you give the Government of Quebec the mandate to negotiate the proposed agreement between Quebec and Canada?

Yes 1,485,852 40.44%
No 2,187,991 59.56%

1995 Quebec referendum question.

"Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?"

Again, resounding NO.

This could be the perfect storm, the chance for Canadians once and for all to bitch slap the province called Quebec. The equalization scheme is coming up for renewal in 2014 and I can't wait for Marois - if she gets in - to start publicly kicking Harpers arse.

Quebec didn't sign the constitution act back in 1982 but are still bound by it.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Separatism and sovereignity in Quebec doesn't mean leaving Canada and becoming their own country, they aren't going to leave and it was never the plan. They want more power within Canada, including the power of veto, but keep sucking on the government teet under the Canadian economy.

1980 Quebec referendum - This is the question posed to the people of Quebec....

The Government of Quebec has made public its proposal to negotiate a new agreement with the rest of Canada, based on the equality of nations; this agreement would enable Quebec to acquire the exclusive power to make its laws, levy its taxes and establish relations abroad - in other words, sovereignty - and at the same time to maintain with Canada an economic association including a common currency; any change in political status resulting from these negotiations will only be implemented with popular approval through another referendum; on these terms, do you give the Government of Quebec the mandate to negotiate the proposed agreement between Quebec and Canada?

Yes 1,485,852 40.44%
No 2,187,991 59.56%

1995 Quebec referendum question.

"Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?"

Again, resounding NO.

This could be the perfect storm, the chance for Canadians once and for all to bitch slap the province called Quebec. The equalization scheme is coming up for renewal in 2014 and I can't wait for Marois - if she gets in - to start publicly kicking Harpers arse.

Quebec didn't sign the constitution act back in 1982 but are still bound by it.
I'm aware of their "separatist society" option. Where they basically keep everything they have now (including a large chunk of the military) but have the right to do as they please.

If they actually won a referendum I think the rest of Canada would give a resounding "screw you" to that notion.

So you speak French. Big deal, we love you for it. Will we then give special governing privileges to all the other subcultures within Canada? Heck the Islamic crowd have been pushing to practice Sharia law.

Lets just carve everything up in slices so we can have one province for all the hookers and another for public stonings and so on. Imagine what a blast family vacations would be if you could drive across 20 different nations in 2 days
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 AM

The only good thing in Quebec is the $10 dollar dances...

.....or so I have been told!

LC
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
I'm aware of their "separatist society" option. Where they basically keep everything they have now (including a large chunk of the military) but have the right to do as they please.

If they actually won a referendum I think the rest of Canada would give a resounding "screw you" to that notion.

So you speak French. Big deal, we love you for it. Will we then give special governing privileges to all the other subcultures within Canada? Heck the Islamic crowd have been pushing to practice Sharia law.

Lets just carve everything up in slices so we can have one province for all the hookers and another for public stonings and so on. Imagine what a blast family vacations would be if you could drive across 20 different nations in 2 days
The fact is, alot of people don't realize what sovereign or separtist means and that worries me a little.

But quebec almost got what they wanted through the Meech lake and Charlottetown accords - thank Brian Mulroney (another quebecor) for that one - he was the one trying to "reach out" to quebec and slip a bunch of new rules for the province. There were alot of good options in meech for all the provinces, but the fact that it heavily supported spoiled quebec?

The accords nearly passed until Clyde "lied" Wells was elected premier of Newfoundland and started preaching from his soapbox. I don't think the rest of the provinces realized what quebec was getting in return.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
The fact is, alot of people don't realize what sovereign or separtist means and that worries me a little.

But quebec almost got what they wanted through the Meech lake and Charlottetown accords - thank Brian Mulroney (another quebecor) for that one - he was the one trying to "reach out" to quebec and slip a bunch of new rules for the province. There were alot of good options in meech for all the provinces, but the fact that it heavily supported spoiled quebec?

The accords nearly passed until Clyde "lied" Wells was elected premier of Newfoundland and started preaching from his soapbox. I don't think the rest of the provinces realized what quebec was getting in return.
We Newfoundlanders have a thing about Quebec. We're still grouchy about the deal brokered in the 60s to sell our hydro-electric power to them for resale to the US at big profits for Quebec

Ofcourse if Quebec actually separated we'd be orphaned from the rest of Canada.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 AM

I honestly don't care. Nothing will change for the rest of Canada... unfortunately.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Montreal smoked meat, poutine, great "dancers", crazy clubs, great skating centres, goalies who got good facing 70 shots a game in the Q, and I'm racking my brain but not much else happening
Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 AM

They're stupid to bite the hand that feeds them but again I have my doubt that separation will ever happen. After all these years of being taken care of think they will say no to free food?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM

i LOVE this country with all of my heart, i have the canadian flag sticker on every toy i own, if you dont wanna be a part of this GREAT country then kindly GTFO! and take your share of the debt with you and leave everything officialy canada's at the door including thier provincial welfare cheques, then feel free to speak all the french ya want. just my 2 cents
Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
i LOVE this country with all of my heart, i have the canadian flag sticker on every toy i own, if you dont wanna be a part of this GREAT country then kindly GTFO! and take your share of the debt with you and leave everything officialy canada's at the door including thier provincial welfare cheques, then feel free to speak all the french ya want. just my 2 cents
It was never about leaving and becoming their own country...

Quebec is akin to a spoiled rotten 40 year old kid that lives at home with the parents, and the parents enable the kid to do so. The kid doesn't want a job, doesn't want any responsibility, doesn't want any rules, doesn't want to pay bills - but wants to run the household on the parents money and come and go as they please. That's what Quebec wants. Every prime minister to date has tried to give it to them - really hoping Harper is the exception.

Latest poll shows the PQ headed for a majority Could be the perfect storm blowing through!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Default TWO Words

Transfer Payments

This is the biggest reason i support Quebec seperation. They are the reason Canada is a left of center nation. If they left the country Canada would shift right and that is probably a really good thing. I like alot of others on this forum grow very tired of the constant complaining of socialists from Quebec, they also do alot of little things that drive ya nuts as well; like George St Pierre always carrying a QB flag not a Canadian one, like Quebecers saying they are not from Canada when travelling internationally but saying they are Quebecious.

I like there culture and it is part of what makes us a unique nation. The divide between fracphones and english early in our nations history had a huge impact on the development of our Country. However its time that we went forward as a united country or went our seperate ways. The nation has changed again, and now the future of Canada rests squarely on the western provinces. Quebec in its current form unfortunately drags the rest of the country down and holds our economic develpment back. So in short Quebec needs to get with the program and move forward with us (no special treatment) or seperate and get out of the way.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Banned

Separating - as in leaving Canada completely isn't an option and wasn't ever an option. Canada can't give them the boot, they are too ingrained constitutionally.

The only options we have at this point is some tough love and if all the stars line up correctly - Canada as a whole will get that chance.

The big unknown is Harper - if he chooses to follow Mulroney's lead and kiss Quebec's ass, we're all hooped.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
We Newfoundlanders have a thing about Quebec. We're still grouchy about the deal brokered in the 60s to sell our hydro-electric power to them for resale to the US at big profits for Quebec

Ofcourse if Quebec actually separated we'd be orphaned from the rest of Canada.
Do you think another deal will ever be cut over the hydro issue, or is Newfoundland hooped on this one?