Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2013, 10:44 PM

Default electronic monitoring bracelet question

Michael Sean Stanley left Edmonton on Oct. 1, even though he has conditions to remain in the city. Through his electronic monitoring bracelet, police traced the 48-year-old near Lloydminster and notified the RCMP to move in. But they were too late.
Stanley managed to cut off the bracelet, which was found on the roof of a local business, sparking a multi-province search.

Also ,I read that only 3 people in Alberta have the bracelet and monitored

Here is a question:
what a purposes of above mentioned bracelet? Isnt carrier should be chased as soon as he leaves city boundary?
Its 3hrs drive from Edmonton to Lloydminster
I would suggest the bracelet should have a GPS and should start alarm as soon as carrier left city boundary.Therefore-30 min later he would be located by Police chopper.Unless chopper was busy ticketing more violent offenders-speeders on hi ways.OK disregard my comment about speeders-if you don't drive every day 90km to work (one way )you wont understand what is 100km/hr vs 118km/hr.
Please don't derail the thread toward speeding traps-I would like discuss more serious matter here.
sincerely yours

Last edited by sailor; 10-12-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

He removed the bracelet...

GPS would only help them find the bracelet once it's removed.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 PM

they should have found when he left the city, before the bracelet was removed ,otherwise whats the point of the bracelet?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
He removed the bracelet...

GPS would only help them find the bracelet once it's removed.
Thanks for reply BG
That is amazing-hope you are the expert in those bracelets!
So have you just stated they don't monitor actual location of the subject,
even if he leaves the perimeter of the area he is supposed to stay in if he keeps wearing bracelet?
Hope to hear some clarification from you BG
Regards

Last edited by sailor; 10-12-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
they should have found when he left the city, before the bracelet was removed ,otherwise whats the point of the bracelet?
That's what I thought.So there (was) is huge negligence, taking into consideration there are only 3 people wearing them in Edmonton, oops only 2 now,may be...
Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Banned

Bracelets are monitored closely but like anything electronic there can be delays.

Those monitoring likely contacted EPS as soon as they knew he went outside the boundaries. Now it falls to them and their resources. Which can be time consuming.

Three hours seems like a long time but the reality of it is the time went quickly.
By the time they figured it out, the RCMP were too late and he had cut off the bracelet.

More than 3 people have said bracelets.

Also keep in mind the Redford government also cut funding to the department responsible for monitoring these guys.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Bracelets are monitored closely but like anything electronic there can be delays.

Those monitoring likely contacted EPS as soon as they knew he went outside the boundaries. Now it falls to them and their resources. Which can be time consuming.

Three hours seems like a long time but the reality of it is the time went quickly.
By the time they figured it out, the RCMP were too late and he had cut off the bracelet.

More than 3 people have said bracelets.

Also keep in mind the Redford government also cut funding to the department responsible for monitoring these guys.
Thanks ETOWNCANUCK - its really fair answer.
I read in news there were 3 bracelet carriers-guess news are just guessing too

Last edited by sailor; 10-12-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:09 AM

emails or other alarms should activate immediately to all concerned people immediately their should be no need for monitoring.companies hav this sort of thing on their vehicle if the vehicle is speeding they will know right now.besides where it is. why would it gfo off when removed thats retarded
Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Michael Sean Stanley left Edmonton on Oct. 1, even though he has conditions to remain in the city. Through his electronic monitoring bracelet, police traced the 48-year-old near Lloydminster and notified the RCMP to move in. But they were too late.
Stanley managed to cut off the bracelet, which was found on the roof of a local business, sparking a multi-province search.

Also ,I read that only 3 people in Alberta have the bracelet and monitored

Here is a question:
what a purposes of above mentioned bracelet? Isnt carrier should be chased as soon as he leaves city boundary?
Its 3hrs drive from Edmonton to Lloydminster
I would suggest the bracelet should have a GPS and should start alarm as soon as carrier left city boundary.Therefore-30 min later he would be located by Police chopper.Unless chopper was busy ticketing more violent offenders-speeders on hi ways.OK disregard my comment about speeders-if you don't drive every day 90km to work (one way )you wont understand what is 100km/hr vs 118km/hr.
Please don't derail the thread toward speeding traps-I would like discuss more serious matter here.
sincerely yours
Not to often you see a guy derail his own thread.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:01 AM

It is probable unrealistic to think that the GPS unit is continually broadcasting a signal, look at all you the GPS units you own what is the battery life 18 hrs tops, so does the criminal change batteries everyday? How many of you have lost signal in dense bush or a canyon. Can tin foil mask a signal. I don't think that the singal is strong enough nor is battery life suffient to know definitively the location of the bracelets consistantly.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:44 AM

Why isnt there an electrical current equlivant to a stungun through it that goes off when the circuit is cut?? You should need a special tool to remove these.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Gone Hunting

I understand why they lost the guy for three hours. It's because they were looking for the Dangerous sex offender in Lloydminster.
Oh wait this is who you are talking about.

Obviously there was no memo sent that 'Elvis has left the building" and he managed to drive thorugh any speed traps, and seat belyt traps set between Edmonton and Lloyd. Just keeping the citizens safe.

There should be a live charge in the bracelet, set to explode when it is tampered with.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-13-2013, 01:51 PM

these things should be set to blowup the minute they are tampered with. Should be easy to follow the blood trail then. If not at least you can narrow your search to the guys with one hand.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
It is probable unrealistic to think that the GPS unit is continually broadcasting a signal, look at all you the GPS units you own what is the battery life 18 hrs tops, so does the criminal change batteries everyday? How many of you have lost signal in dense bush or a canyon. Can tin foil mask a signal. I don't think that the singal is strong enough nor is battery life suffient to know definitively the location of the bracelets consistantly.
you are probly right he needs a battery and a windmill on his head beeguy probly knows about if this is practical wearing one beside his lightning rod
Old 10-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I understand why they lost the guy for three hours. It's because they were looking for the Dangerous sex offender in Lloydminster.
Oh wait this is who you are talking about.

Obviously there was no memo sent that 'Elvis has left the building" and he managed to drive thorugh any speed traps, and seat belyt traps set between Edmonton and Lloyd. Just keeping the citizens safe.

There should be a live charge in the bracelet, set to explode when it is tampered with.
And it should be on the neck, not the ankle.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
And it should be on the neck, not the ankle.
Just like that movie wild wild west with Will Smith