Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Default Gap, livingstone, racehorse, Dutch

Anyone know how they are fishing right now? Thinking of heading out there tomorrow for the day. Has the run off subsided? Any place there I should be spending more time? Or....are all the fish still in Lethbridge trying to make their way back from all the flooding/run off?
Thanks for any help.
Don
Old 07-09-2014, 06:53 PM

http://environment.alberta.ca/apps/b...ionID=RRACEMOU

I'd say she's fishable, flows are lower than before all this **** came down
Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 PM

No offense,

But why not go and find out yourself?

Yes you might get there and find out it sucks, But you still got to spend the day in a beautiful area. Good time to scout for potential spots when it is fishable.

Fishing and specifically fly fishing fishing is about the experiences, the unknown, finding something new or trying something new to catch that fish.

Honestly, this instant gratification culture of knowing everything about a body of water before even setting foot near it cheapens the point of the sport.

Would your day be ruined by not catching a fish? If so then you have missed the point.

I get people don't want to waste time, but a little gas and some km's never seemed like a waste of time to me.

Good luck, I hope you go and find out for yourself. :-) and please don't tell me what you found. I'll figure it out myself.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Default BiggyJ...you're wrong and right

Look BiggyJ:

Let's establish one thing; his point had little or nothing to do with instant gratification. He's simply trying to get a scouting report.

Honestly, what's wrong with that? Would a guy want to spend $6000 to fish Plummers in late June only to find out that Great Bear Lake still has ice? How about the guy from Lethbridge who may want to fish Maligne in late May? Or, like me, living in Edmonton, would I not want to know what the conditions are like on the Missourri and Madison before driving 9 hours to Montana, only to find the rivers are blown out?

Ok, ok...I exaggerate to make the point. Yes - of course! OF COURSE! it is a perfectly valid truism that "life is about the journey".

And yes, true too, there really can't be a thing such as a "day wasted" when it comes to fishing. Spend a little money on gas, do some scouting, exactly like you said. That's a good day in my books.

Nevertheless, the province is blessed with a bounty of choices. Nothing wrong with a guy doing a little homework beforehand to see where his best bets are. Nothing wrong with trying to narrow down your choices in terms of runoff and fishable water.

There are lot of us (I'm sure you too) hard working Albertans in this hot economy that having some time off is precious, and we're going to go anyways, why not do a little info gathering beforehand to optimize the experience? Nothing wrong with that, in my books.

Guess I'm saying I understand the spirit of your post, just thought the tone was a little judgemental / harsh.

Smitty
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 PM

wish i knew i would tell you. i wanna go fish there on saturday. i also like to hear reports if some rivers are fishing badly south then ill spend my day heading north. nothing wrong with asking about river conditions
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 PM

Well the plan is to go tomorrow regardless. Yes I was just gonna go and check it out for the day by the way. The only way I would not have gone is if it was still flowing fast and muddy...which is probably doubtful at this time, but trout I would check. And I guess that's what I was asking.
I get there is no bad day fishing especially in that area...however the key word is fishing. If I'm going to go and not be able to fish at all because it is muddy and flowing too fast, well then that ain't fishing.

I will let you know twispi what I find and see. Pm me Friday morning in case I forget to post up.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Look BiggyJ:

Let's establish one thing; his point had little or nothing to do with instant gratification. He's simply trying to get a scouting report.

Honestly, what's wrong with that? Would a guy want to spend $6000 to fish Plummers in late June only to find out that Great Bear Lake still has ice? How about the guy from Lethbridge who may want to fish Maligne in late May? Or, like me, living in Edmonton, would I not want to know what the conditions are like on the Missourri and Madison before driving 9 hours to Montana, only to find the rivers are blown out?

Ok, ok...I exaggerate to make the point. Yes - of course! OF COURSE! it is a perfectly valid truism that "life is about the journey".

And yes, true too, there really can't be a thing such as a "day wasted" when it comes to fishing. Spend a little money on gas, do some scouting, exactly like you said. That's a good day in my books.

Nevertheless, the province is blessed with a bounty of choices. Nothing wrong with a guy doing a little homework beforehand to see where his best bets are. Nothing wrong with trying to narrow down your choices in terms of runoff and fishable water.

There are lot of us (I'm sure you too) hard working Albertans in this hot economy that having some time off is precious, and we're going to go anyways, why not do a little info gathering beforehand to optimize the experience? Nothing wrong with that, in my books.

Guess I'm saying I understand the spirit of your post, just thought the tone was a little judgemental / harsh.

Smitty
Thank you for saying what was on my mind!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Livingstone

Livingston was fine 3 days ago, bit high but clear. 1 little Bull and one good Cutt on Stimulator, think #12? Was raining, and warm.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 PM

Well I went. Got there and started around 1030 and ended about 300
Landed 7.
1 Smallest was 8". Other 6 were in the 12" to 18" range with majority in the upper half.
Was using dry flies which was incredibly difficult once the wind started roaring. And I mean roaring. Had a good day!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Fished race horse on the sunday the 6th. It was a great time, beautiful day out and the water was running super clear compared to some parts of livingstone. We were on livingstone early and nothing was really rising, kinda overcast. But by noon we made it to racehorse and they were rising.

~Get out and explore~
Old 07-13-2014, 10:31 PM

Camped at dutch and fished race horse and dutch on sat and sun on 12th and 13th. Water is crystal clear and at mormal level of mid July. Caught some nice and fat cutties. No sight of bulls tho. It seen like cutties are more likely to hide in the faster water close the the bank during early July.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.3 KB, 188 views)
Old 07-14-2014, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the report; nice pic Upstream.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 AM

Thanks a lot upstream, was just wondering how it was out there :-)
Old 07-16-2014, 01:49 PM

I wanted to post more pictures but it wont let me upload the pics that i took from my i-phone... anyone have this kind of issue?