Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Default Summer fishing toast?

So with all this runoff and epic flooding are most of the rivers and creeks toast for the summer? I have a 4 day trip planned in early september on the bow near deadmans flats....should I scrap it?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM

I would imagine by the end of summer providing we don't continue to see the rain we have been getting things should back on par. The rivers will have changed though so everyones old honey hole may not be there anymore but that isn't necessarily a bad thing as exploring is half the fun. Accesability to some areas may not be in place by then though depending on what roads got washed out so I would hold off and see what happens here in the next month or so and then maybe look at changing up the plans if need be.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Fry and fingerling numbers will have been reduced along with mature fish being swept overland along flood affected areas. That being said fish can sense changes in atmospheric pressure, so many will have hunkered down in deeper pools. I imagine it will be a couple of weeks before the waters recede and clear. Try giving fish and wildlife a call to find out how the fishing season may be effected.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 PM

I figure fishing will be severely affected for the next few years in the Bow drainage at least (haven't seen much from the oldman or red deer). This year's spawn will be toast, most of the young fish, not to mention a lot of the 'healthy' population will be lost.
I'd also suggest entire life cycles of insects will be annihilated. It will take several years just to regain normal aquatic insect numbers, which of course hurts the trout.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 PM

Go fish, have fun.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Fishing will be fine and so will the insects. I walked numberous portions of the bow today and saw a lot of stones, PMDs and Caddis coming off. The river is below 400 cm/s, with the way its dropping it should be fishable in no time.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Fishing will be fine and so will the insects. I walked numberous portions of the bow today and saw a lot of stones, PMDs and Caddis coming off. The river is below 400 cm/s, with the way its dropping it should be fishable in no time.
Which portions of the bow did you walk?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Police, FC, Glenmore, bonnybrock, shouldice, and bowness
Old 07-01-2013, 11:02 PM

I was up in the Ghost River drainage this weekend water was wadeable and a bit off color 2 to 3 foot visibility. Lots of little Brookies and a 12" Bull nice to see that the fish will be just fine as they have been millions of years.