Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-22-2014, 07:52 PM

Default Trespassers and ruined hunts?

Anyone else having a real bad year for trespassing and ruined hunts this year?

I have been out over 2 dozen days this year for bow hunting and probably half or more of those days have been ruined by trespassers.

Last night I got out to my hunting area right after work and glassed until I found the deer. I have been out there enough to know the 2 trails that the deer take to the fields to feed every night and knew of a spot to sit and wait for them.
So I set out on foot at a jog to try to get to the spot before the deer made it there. After about a half an hour or so I made it to the spot I could set up at. I figured the deer had to be close so I took a peak into the coulee and the deer were within about 100 yards from me and heading my way. So I backed up and crawled into the backside of some bushes and got all set up in the shooting lane.
Just as I picked up my bow to get ready to draw back a truck comes over the hill and barrels down into the coulee and stops. The deer are now inside 80 yards from me. They get real nervous but just hold steady where they were. The truck then heads up the other side of the coulee and drives around right beside the bushes I was in and stops about 20 to 30 yards from me on top of the coulee just above the deer. At this point the deer start taking off so the truck peels out in the farmers field.
Needless to say those guys ruined my hunt for the evening and it seems like that is happening more often then not.
Take into consideration that to get to the spot I was set up at is about a 4 mile drive through a farmers field from any road anywhere near there.

So tonight I head out right after work with my 4 year old son to see if we can get set up in those bushes hoping the deer will take the same trail and come right by us.
As I get to a spot I am planning on parking to hike in I notice a truck parked there. That is all fine and dandy except one the only land that holds deer near there is land that only 3 people have permission on. I myself am one of them and my buddy is another. The 3rd person is a lady bow hunter and she doesn't drive a vehicle like that.
So I make a phone call and get the ball rolling on what the plan of attack should be in this situation. The land owner wants me to get pictures of the truck and license plate and the hunter if possible. I couldn't see the hunter anywhere so I took some pictures of the truck and license plate and kept heading to where I was going to park. Just as I got out of the truck with my kid and started on our way to the spot I noticed something across the valley on the land that needs permission. I decide to check things out through my binos and notice it is a hunter. I try to get pictures but it was just to far of a distance to get clear shots.
So we continue down the trail to where we want to set up. all of a sudden we notice a hunter coming up the valley right towards us. I thought it was a deer at first so we ducked down and I checked things out. I decided to snap some photos and take a video of the hunter that is trespassing.
That was pretty much the end of the night for us so we head back to the truck. Forward the pictures on to the land owner and head on our way.

I don't know if this person is on this forum or not but I hope you are prepared for a trespassing charge at the least in the very near future. There is plenty of pictures and video to prove you were on land you had no permission to be on.

Sorry for the long rant. It is just really starting to get at me this season with everything that has gone on and all the ruined hunts.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 AM

I really do not blame you. Something else i have started to notice. The trespassers are no longer trying to remain unseen. They are more times than not loud, messy, and belligerent. What happened to the old trespassers who you would not even notice they were there if it weren't for the tire tracks and the gut pile. I do sincerily hope that something comes of the trespasser you mentioned.Something needs to be done with them, yesturday!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:07 AM

That sucks bud. I deal with poaching on land I hunt every year.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:22 AM

I would love to buy a recreational quarter and hunt it during the season.

All of these stories make me second guess doing that. I wouldn't be too happy if I let a nice deer try to mature on my property to find out that a poacher had harvested it.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 AM

Cut the valve stems off there tires they can't go far better be sure there tresspassing
Old 10-23-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post

All of these stories make me second guess doing that. I wouldn't be too happy if I let a nice deer try to mature on my property to find out that a poacher had harvested it.
It would happen for sure . Too many guys figure a licence gives them access to any where they want to go .Hope it works out npauls .
Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 AM

Default Trespassers ruining hunts

I can't tell you how many times I've had a day of hunting ruined.

Neighbours kids decided to use the field for their dirt bikes. When I confronted them they didn't have permission.

Neighbour drove into the field to tell me about the huge deer he saw a hundred yards from my stand. He was a hunter too and probably wanted to preserve the deer for his hunting

Truck full of natives with guns and barrels pointing out the window cruising the field. This was in the bow zone to boot!

The bottom line is if you don't have permission on an area stay the heck out of it.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Was sitting on a hill where there is a opening of about 500 yards where the deer really like to cross. A disiel truck drives up to us and asks how we were doing and if we had seen anything. Then when he was done talking to us he drove right down the middle of the opening we were watching, we didnt see any deer that night
Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Cut the valve stems off there tires they can't go far better be sure there tresspassing
I will leave that part to the land owners and what they want to do about it.

I made the calls i needed to make and took the pictures for evidence and sent them off to the land owners.

I know for sure that they were trespassing and the landowners are not happy at all.

They have been battling cut fences and everything else that these guys want to do for the last few years.

They are real happy that we are out there quite a bit and are keeping an eye on things for them. They have already mentioned that it has restored faith in them that there is some good people out there that do follow rules and should be allowed to have permission.

Hopefully the word spreads that we are good hunters and we gain even more access.

I also hope the word spreads that trespassing will not be tolerated on this land and that you will be caught.

It was tough explaining to my 4 year old why werent going to be setting up for a hunt last night because people cant follow rules and just dont care. He is pretty bummed out so i will have to see if we can get out there again next week after the deer have settled down again.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:56 PM

New Albertans
Alberta outdoorsman
wild tv

3 reasons why hunting has changed here.... and not for the better in my opinion.

Its a double edged sword isn't it....
Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
New Albertans
Alberta outdoorsman
wild tv

3 reasons why hunting has changed here.... and not for the better in my opinion.

I can agree with those things being factors for sure....

LC
Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
New Albertans
Alberta outdoorsman
wild tv

X3
Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 PM

Talking moose wonders why you say alberta outdoorsmen contributes? I see nobody here condoning it. It's looked upon with disgust here. Confused.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Had one hunt ruined so far and one locked up trail cam stolen....Bad year so far and I suspect it is going to get worse as rifle season fires up in my area....
Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Banned

Default ruined hunts

Quote:
New Albertans
Alberta outdoorsman
wild tv

X100. Add in big box hunting stores, and part hunting/reality shows that are making it a bit more attractive/acceptable to the masses, which has both good and bad results in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Talking moose wonders why you say alberta outdoorsmen contributes? I see nobody here condoning it. It's looked upon with disgust here. Confused.
I think what some are getting at is the information freely flows here quite often. If you had a honey hole at km 85 on carrot patch road ....and it somehow gets mentioned here, it could literally ruin the area.

Several fishing spots have been ruined this way...

It's a double edged sword...nice to share, but too much info can lead to too much activity in a previously "quiet" area...

LC
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think what some are getting at is the information freely flows here quite often. If you had a honey hole at km 85 on carrot patch road ....and it somehow gets mentioned here, it could literally ruin the area.

Several fishing spots have been ruined this way...

It's a double edged sword...nice to share, but too much info can lead to too much activity in a previously "quiet" area...

LC
Ok yes that makes sense. Just wasn't sure how AOF was stated as a factor in a tresspassing thread, but with the masses of people, would also mean more tresspassing incidenents. Talking moose thanks you for explanation.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
New Albertans
Alberta outdoorsman
wild tv

i would agree with the last 2. I own land and its the long time locals that are always the worst for trespassing. They believe they asked once in the 80's and it was permission for life, or they hunted the property when so and so owned it so they still have permission. New Albertans are not the problem.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post

They move in and out of a quarter anyway, always risk that someone may get them on another property. Make the investment, it will be a good place to hunt that YOU control and land is always a good investment, they don't make more of it!! LOL
Old 10-24-2014, 04:14 PM

Default Here's what you do?

Call report a poacher line, tell them you are observing a poacher in action. The wildlife officer will respond within the hour. you report the vehicle license and description.

The officer will ask if its thier land or if they have permission.

Game over and F & W like convictions.

Trespassing is just as much a crime as poaching.

Being defeated is optional!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
i would agree with the last 2. I own land and its the long time locals that are always the worst for trespassing. They believe they asked once in the 80's and it was permission for life, or they hunted the property when so and so owned it so they still have permission. New Albertans are not the problem.
Ran into this a few times this year. Last night I had a bull elk coming in to my cow calls and I'm ready to start drawing my bow and a truck pulls up 20 yrds behind me and yells "seen anything " I'm like ya that elk that's running away.. no respect..soo mad
Old 10-24-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAT Hunter View Post
Call report a poacher line, tell them you are observing a poacher in action. The wildlife officer will respond within the hour. you report the vehicle license and description.

The officer will ask if its thier land or if they have permission.

Game over and F & W like convictions.

Trespassing is just as much a crime as poaching.
That may work if you have enough f&w officers in your area but down here in the south they are very under manned and can rarely make it to a call from what i have found.

They just have too many calls to take care of and too much land to cover for the amount of staff the have.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=npauls;2588471]Anyone else having a real bad year for trespassing and ruined hunts this year?/QUOTE]

I think what you have experienced has been pretty common for many years now. You could go back 5 years or more and look at the posts in October and November about trespassers, and although some of the names change, the stories are the same. The one exception, is that you actually did something about it. Like you stated F/W staffing is low, and the responsibility now, and in the future is going to fall on hunters to report trespassing and poaching.

Most guys come on here and seem completely frustrated and genuinely pizzed off, with trespassers, but do nothing about it, even when they have seen the people/vehicles up close???????
Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
That may work if you have enough f&w officers in your area but down here in the south they are very under manned and can rarely make it to a call from what i have found.

They just have too many calls to take care of and too much land to cover for the amount of staff the have.
I heard they are looking to add 19 more officers across the province.....they just can't find them.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Happened to me again this morning. Same truck.. assumed permission.... that's a local thing for sure.. also was told to go back to calgary and hunt there.. Sooo mad..
Old 10-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Im hoping to get out this afternoon for awhile. Hopefully things go better then the last few trips.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Im hoping to get out this afternoon for awhile. Hopefully things go better then the last few trips.
Best of luck.. I'm hoping the same..
Old 10-25-2014, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=bobalong;2590939]
Quote:
Anyone else having a real bad year for trespassing and ruined hunts this year?/QUOTE]

I think what you have experienced has been pretty common for many years now. You could go back 5 years or more and look at the posts in October and November about trespassers, and although some of the names change, the stories are the same. The one exception, is that you actually did something about it. Like you stated F/W staffing is low, and the responsibility now, and in the future is going to fall on hunters to report trespassing and poaching.

Most guys come on here and seem completely frustrated and genuinely pizzed off, with trespassers, but do nothing about it, even when they have seen the people/vehicles up close???????

Sound more like friend if my girlfriends best friends story's. No confrontations. someone should open a new site
Albertasissyoutdoors. Must ruined hunts i ve witnessed someone was sh..ttying teeth for a week. I guess everyone hunts the first bush and coulee they see 3 mins out of town I would hate to be the poor kid listening to these story's around a campfire. He's probably thinking I left my xbox for this.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Cell ph photos of Lic plates has worked well for me...

Neil
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Cell ph photos of Lic plates has worked well for me...

Neil
That is exactly what I ended up doing along with hd video of the trespassers walking around the land owners coulees.