Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2022, 08:01 PM

Default Price of Horses

The horse market seems to be going the way of real estate.
Been looking for a horse casually for quite some time and now that I have sold a few things and have the money, I cant find one that isn't either sold right away or ridiculous price.
I saw one a few weeks ago in GP, real nice all around horse, just a grade no papers, should be a 7000-8000 in this market. It went to the Topgun Auction a few weeks ago and sold for $22,000. This wasn't a race horse or barrel horse just a nice trail QH.
I thought I made a deal last night, everything all good, woman was going to trailer it up to Water valley for noon. Texts me at 11:30, sorry I just sold it to someone else. No call no heads up just skipped out.
The Alberta Horses for sale FB page gets a horse listed and within minutes there are 20 responses.
The economy here must not be that bad.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:16 PM

Holy crow, $22K for a saddle horse. I have no idea about horse prices yet this seems like a bunch?
Mind you, my dad hung 2, $100.00 bills on the tree for my gifted Welsh pony, back in 1972. So I'm a bit out of touch

Good luck to you finding one that works for you though
Old 04-14-2022, 08:25 PM

Ya I believe average price on a horse at the top gun was about 14k last weekend. Good market for sellers.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:13 PM

Funny how 100 years ago everyone had horses and only the rich had cars. Now everyone has cars and only the rich have horses.

Checkout this site for horses for sale in Alberta. Might find a more reasponable priced horse.
https://www.equinenow.com/alberta.htm
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-14-2022, 10:18 PM

It’s a crazy market for sure. I’m casually looking for another couple horses to add. Even something with 30 days and as green as can be are commanding 4-6k… a couple years ago, I picked up my 10 year old main mount for 2700….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2022, 10:23 PM

Funny how 100 years ago everyone had horses and only the rich had cars. Now everyone has cars and only the rich have horses.

With the price of fuel, we might be back there very soon .

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-14-2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

With the price of fuel, we might be back there very soon .

Ha, my dad used to say this back in the 70s when gas was at 73 cents a gallon.
“The price of gas is so high we will be back to the horse and buggy soon”
Old 04-14-2022, 11:33 PM

meat is expensive right now
Old 04-15-2022, 04:34 AM

Try VJV in Dawson
Old 04-15-2022, 05:40 AM

The price of horses is just like anything else these day's, it is as high as people are willing to pay, just like dogs for $4,000 cheese and rice give me a break

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfarmer View Post
Try VJV in Dawson
VJV is having a horse sale in Beaverlodge next Saturday I believe.

My wife is looking for a broke mini horse for the boy currently and I am also shocked at some of these prices.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:57 AM

And hay price well over 100 for quality Rounds. Oats 9 dollar per bushel. And 3/4 of the people pay someone to board them. Hmmmm
Old 04-15-2022, 08:12 AM

Pandemic and sustained poor hay crops has caused many a horse owner to ditch their hay burners-not surprised come peak buying season equine prices are high.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-15-2022, 09:16 AM

Expand your search area - you will never compete with the crazy horse chicks and urban cowboy types around here.
Still some reasonable prices in Sask and, quite honestly, I think you will find better horseflesh there
Old 04-15-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Expand your search area - you will never compete with the crazy horse chicks and urban cowboy types around here.
Still some reasonable prices in Sask and, quite honestly, I think you will find better horseflesh there
That is a big problem right there
Old 04-15-2022, 10:01 AM

You say you've been looking on FB - if you haven't already, search and try joining this group
Canadian horses To Move
Its like an online auction but you can reach out to the owners and view or at least chat with them
I've seen reasonable deals go through there, my cousin just bid and bought a nice mare of the site.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
You say you've been looking on FB - if you haven't already, search and try joining this group
Canadian horses To Move
Its like an online auction but you can reach out to the owners and view or at least chat with them
I've seen reasonable deals go through there, my cousin just bid and bought a nice mare of the site.
I will check that out, thanks
Old 04-15-2022, 01:38 PM

If Larry Davids still in the business he'd be worth tracking down, ex hunting partner/guide purchased a few good saddle horses through Larry over the years.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-15-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
If Larry Davids still in the business he'd be worth tracking down, ex hunting partner/guide purchased a few good saddle horses through Larry over the years.

Creeky....

The horse trainer, father of Dallas . from Condor ? I'm thinking with Covid about done, we might see some more local in person auctions.

Grizz

Old 04-15-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post

Creeky....

Yes Larry is still in business. This particular Larry David is the youngest of the wagon racers. Roy & Ron are his older brothers.

403-880-5710

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-17-2022, 07:27 PM

I bought a grade 10 year old gelding on Kijiji for 3,000.00, 16 hands and 1250 lbs in shape, broke trail horse, quarter percheron and three quarters quarter horse. Ad was 1 hour old when I called the guy. Talked to him a bit and told him I'd call him back once I talked to the wife. Call him back a half hour later and he tells me he has two ladies waiting to see if I was taking him, they were ready to come load him up. I sent him a deposit right then without laying a hand on the horse and went to high prairie and picked him up. There's the odd reasonable deal but you have to be quick and gamble a bit. Now that I have him close to Edmonton I think I could brush him up and get 8,000.00 for him.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:34 PM

Default Price of Horses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
I bought a grade 10 year old gelding on Kijiji for 3,000.00, 16 hands and 1250 lbs in shape, broke trail horse, quarter percheron and three quarters quarter horse. Ad was 1 hour old when I called the guy. Talked to him a bit and told him I'd call him back once I talked to the wife. Call him back a half hour later and he tells me he has two ladies waiting to see if I was taking him, they were ready to come load him up. I sent him a deposit right then without laying a hand on the horse and went to high prairie and picked him up. There's the odd reasonable deal but you have to be quick and gamble a bit. Now that I have him close to Edmonton I think I could brush him up and get 8,000.00 for him.

Pm me if your wanting to sell..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Yes Larry is still in business. This particular Larry David is the youngest of the wagon racers. Roy & Ron are his older brothers.

403-880-5710
I think that's a different person from the Larry David I knew.

Grizz.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:23 PM

What is this going to do to the price of glue and dog food?
Old 04-18-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
What is this going to do to the price of glue and dog food?
Or Dobbin steaks.

Grizz

Old 04-18-2022, 09:17 AM

Default horse

I have two registered American paints and a paint/morgan cross filly. Willing to let them go for modest $$ so dont have to buy more $200 bales.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I have two registered American paints and a paint/morgan cross filly. Willing to let them go for modest $$ so dont have to buy more $200 bales.
i hear you GW.....after owning horses for over 30 years, i've come to realize that the smallest cost of owning them is the initial purchase. taking care of them is the biggest cost and anyone thinking of getting into horses should realize that initial purchase is only the small tip of the iceberg.

if you can't afford the initial purchase price, you better stay away altogether.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:49 AM

When bales were $60-$80 not to bad keeping horses at $200 completely new dynamics.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:00 AM

I sell a lot of hay to acreage horse people that don’t use their horses much. And the conversation between husband and wife when they come to pick it up is always the same, he hates spending the money, and she won’t sell the horses. I don’t see this changing, as the heart stings are strong between women and horse.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I sell a lot of hay to acreage horse people that don’t use their horses much. And the conversation between husband and wife when they come to pick it up is always the same, he hates spending the money, and she won’t sell the horses. I don’t see this changing, as the heart stings are strong between women and horse.
Been there, done that, bought the T Shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mEJUEOq2G8

Grizz