Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Default new gun new operator

to make a long story short
which took all after noon and the evening by time they went home
yesterday I had a gentlman and his son knock on my door explaining they wanted to get into hunting but didnt know where to start
so set them strait on hunter education courses fac courses, the the age old question, what gun, caliber ect, i let em handle a few of my own and came to the conclusion that because of their unfamiliarity of fire arms maybe a thompson center pro single shot maybe a good place to start, my reason
1 safety u have to do 4 or 5 things before that gun is ready to fire
2 they can start wth a 17 hmr small caliber
go buy a new barrel say a 223 then to lets say a muzzle loader and rifle
one action one registry several differnt calibers
my question is
was this a good suggestion for a beginner who seemed clumsy unfamilierer wth a firearm????
pls excuse my lack of coma,s piroids & spellin errors
Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 AM

Directing them towards the firearms course, and the hunter education is a good start. I went through the PAL several years before I went through hunter education. They're kind of like high school in that they give you some of the basics, then it's time to go into the real world and then your education reallys starts. It takes experianced guys (sounds like yourself) to show people the ropes. Fortunately I had and continue to have great resources. Those courses are a good place to start, and as an example AHEIA is certainly striving to put the right people together to mentor new ones.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:09 AM

For what it's worth I think you've got them on the right track. Get the education and start with something simple and safe. I learned to shoot with an old single shot cooey with a crooked front sight. Helps you appreciate the bells and whistles later too.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longarm View Post
For what it's worth I think you've got them on the right track. Get the education and start with something simple and safe. I learned to shoot with an old single shot cooey with a crooked front sight. Helps you appreciate the bells and whistles later too.
thats they way I wuz thinking that they can always upgrade later after they get more aquainted wth fire arms and gun safety
Old 11-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Can do alot of shooting inexpensively with a reasonable .22 cal. Learn alot about shooting and gun handling with a good ole .22. Hunter ed courses are a must good job "U can't rope the wind".
Just my 2 cents
Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378 Wthrby View Post
Can do alot of shooting inexpensively with a reasonable .22 cal. Learn alot about shooting and gun handling with a good ole .22. Hunter ed courses are a must good job "U can't rope the wind".
Just my 2 cents
I agree I also mentioned that as well as they have a whole summer of gophers comeing up before Big game season
Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
to make a long story short
which took all after noon and the evening by time they went home
yesterday I had a gentlman and his son knock on my door explaining they wanted to get into hunting but didnt know where to start
so set them strait on hunter education courses fac courses, the the age old question, what gun, caliber ect, i let em handle a few of my own and came to the conclusion that because of their unfamiliarity of fire arms maybe a thompson center pro single shot maybe a good place to start, my reason
1 safety u have to do 4 or 5 things before that gun is ready to fire
2 they can start wth a 17 hmr small caliber
go buy a new barrel say a 223 then to lets say a muzzle loader and rifle
one action one registry several differnt calibers
my question is
was this a good suggestion for a beginner who seemed clumsy unfamilierer wth a firearm????
pls excuse my lack of coma,s piroids & spellin errors
I think it was great advice and I think it's even better you spent the time with them discussing things. Good on you!!!!