Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2020, 03:44 PM

Default Showers

What are some of you guys using for showering while out in the woods for prolonged periods of time.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
What are some of you guys using for showering while out in the woods for prolonged periods of time.
I heat up a small pot of water and use a face cloth. Face, hair, chest then the nasty bits. Feels much better afterwards.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:06 PM
Banned

Baby wipes are the best thing going for personal hygiene in the bush.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:34 PM

We use baby wipes but have discovered the Coleman shower bag in sheep camp. Heat up a Pot of water, dump it in the low flow bag and it’s amazing.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I heat up a small pot of water and use a face cloth. Face, hair, chest then the nasty bits. Feels much better afterwards.
Same here. If it's sunny or I'm REALLY grimy, I'll heat a few pots of water and put it in this. Just look at the expression on their faces!

https://www.amazon.ca/Camping-Portab...39166313&psc=1
Old 09-14-2020, 04:51 PM

Pot of warm water and a facecloth, no soap. Baby wipes stink
Old 09-14-2020, 05:15 PM

Default Showers

I do the same thing showers bags all the way set them out in the sun for the day warm right up if cool just add hot water.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
This.

Although, I'll use baby wipes if I am conserving water or if I can't keep water thawed.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:34 PM

I like those shower bags CT and elsewhere sell. Cheap and easy. Winter is a different story though. Just have to get used to your own stench. Maybe it helps stave off the cold.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:07 PM

I see there are collapsible one person wood fired hot tubs now. Probably only weighs a couple pounds.

I like a dip in a creek or lake. Mud, sand or horsetail (plant) for scrubbing with. Invigorating depending how cold the water is. And a facecloth in a baggie in the pack for day trips.

For longer trips I like taking a square galvanized tub to camp. In camp I use it for heating water. The tub is big enough to squat in for a good scrub down. Can wash clothes or socks in the tub if needed too. Filled with cold creek water a tub is good to cold store watertight perishable foods. Great for hauling out meat. Upside down and you have a camp seat or table top too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-14-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.S View Post
I like those shower bags CT and elsewhere sell. Cheap and easy. Winter is a different story though. Just have to get used to your own stench. Maybe it helps stave off the cold.
In winter a sweat lodge is good. Getting some rocks might be a challenge though. Even just a hot coal bed will raise a sweat. A person can make a simple sweat shelter. Smack and rub down with a pine bough while sweating and then have a roll in the snow. You'll be fresher than brand new.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-14-2020, 06:49 PM

After 1 week of hunting , on saturday night ; fill wash tub with warm water , stand or sit and wash everything . Repeat after 2nd week of hunting on saturday night . Rinse and repeat on the next saturday !
Old 09-14-2020, 07:09 PM

Heat up some water in a pot, pour it into the can. Take the watering can with you and start at the top and work your way down.

You can even get a bigger tub/pot to heat the water at the fire and have someone a 2 watering can rotation going there. Just watch the temp or have a bucket of cold on standby to mix in.

A little water goes a long way if you wet, soap up and scrub and do a quick rinse.

The bags need to be hoisted, often snag, may rip or split, water can't be to hot (so you have to pre-mix it) are hard to fill if you are heating your water and the rope/grommets don't last - stopped doing that a long time ago.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
In winter a sweat lodge is good. Getting some rocks might be a challenge though. Even just a hot coal bed will raise a sweat. A person can make a simple sweat shelter. Smack and rub down with a pine bough while sweating and then have a roll in the snow. You'll be fresher than brand new.
Meh, that’s what we all need! That’s how real men getting themselves clean!
https://youtu.be/9dDuf82KVQE
It’s in Russian, but you don’t have to listen, just watch.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I’ve never been in one (saunas but understand they’re different). Have to give a try someday for sure.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 PM

https://www.thecabindepot.ca/collect...s-water-heater

I use something similar to this.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:13 PM
Banned

The best camp shower I ever seen was about 10 years ago.

The guys had a 12 V boat sump pump hooked up to a Honda 1000 W generator.
From the pump they had a few feet of garden hose connected to a coil of 1” copper pipe/tubing looped about 2 feet in diameter. This coil was elevated about 2 feet off the ground using some metal rod supports they had. Next they had 2 tiger torches hooked up to 20 lb propane tanks pointed such that the flame was on the copper coil. From the copper coil 10-15 feet more of garden hose ran to a typical shower head which was strapped to a tree Using duct tape pointing downwards at an angle like you see in your own shower at home.

They camped right next to the river. So you toss the pump in the river, fire up the genset and you have endless water supply coming out the shower nozzle. Then once water flow was established, the tiger torches were lit and you adjusted the flame until you got a nice water temp.

Using regular ivory soap only, you shower away and everything ran back into the river. We were taking 20-25 minute showers sometimes. It was awesome. The only downside was that occasionally the pump would plug with mud/dirt from the bottom. That was solved by putting a rock base near the shore and surrounding it by rocks such that only water came in around the pump suction. Because we were only using ivory soap, when we were done we smelled like the river....you know as if we were swimming in it and then got out and dried up. No big deal, you were clean.

Obviously, this setup is not very portable.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitumen View Post

From the pump they had a few feet of garden hose connected to a coil of 1” copper pipe/tubing looped about 2 feet in diameter. This coil was elevated about 2 feet off the ground using some metal rod supports they had. Next they had 2 tiger torches hooked up to 20 lb propane tanks pointed such that the flame was on the copper coil. From the copper coil 10-15 feet more of garden hose ran to a typical shower head which was strapped to a tree Using duct tape pointing downwards at an angle like you see in your own shower at home.

They camped right next to the river. So you toss the pump in the river, fire up the genset and you have endless water supply coming out the shower nozzle. Then once water flow was established, the tiger torches were lit and you adjusted the flame until you got a nice water temp.

Using regular ivory soap only, you shower away and everything ran back into the river. We were taking 20-25 minute showers sometimes. It was awesome. The only downside was that occasionally the pump would plug with mud/dirt from the bottom. That was solved by putting a rock base near the shore and surrounding it by rocks such that only water came in around the pump suction. Because we were only using ivory soap, when we were done we smelled like the river....you know as if we were swimming in it and then got out and dried up. No big deal, you were clean.

The unnecessary-ness of this shower system is what makes it amazing. Well, well done lads. Slow clap.

Awesome!
Old 09-14-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitumen View Post

And after the showers .......... ya'all made some moonshine !!!!!!!! same set up !!!!!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
You can buy unscented baby wipes.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:38 AM

A spray bottle. Fill it with warm/hot water. And a small towel.
Spray - wipe. Spray - wipe. Done.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:52 AM

I like the pressure shower bags like these.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=presure+sh...ref=nb_sb_noss

water is heavy hanging from a tree, so now no lifting the water bag for me.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:03 AM

Zodi 2 burner and EcoTemp L5 is what I use, nothing beats a 10+ min hot shower in the bush.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:21 AM

Hand pump weed sprayer.

Obviously use a new sprayer and designate it as water only.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The unnecessary-ness of this shower system is what makes it amazing. Well, well done lads. Slow clap.

Awesome!
Well, they were on a 2 week camping trip in October, so they needed something good.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:24 PM

Thank you for the help
Old 09-15-2020, 10:44 PM

Baby wipes for us, the alcohol stings a little makes you feel cleaner.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrfn View Post
Hand pump weed sprayer.

Obviously use a new sprayer and designate it as water only.
^^ *Thread Winner*
Old 09-16-2020, 11:43 AM

Regualr 5 gallon bucket, threaded hole in the bottom for a shower head with a ball cock shut off. Three gallon GSW bucket to heat the water on the Coleman stove, add to 2 gallons of cold in the shower bucket. Six pieces of conduit that screw together to make a tripod for Grassland trips, with a pulley to hoist the bucket up and a carabiner to tie it off. If you are shy or it is windy you can wrap the tripod with a tarp. Real cold weather we put a Herman Nelson hose into the shower. In treed country just hoist it on the meat pole.

You can have a nice long shower on 5 gallons of water, or if you wet, soap and rinse, two or three guys can have a shower with 5 gallons.When you are out hunting for 3 or more weeks at a time, those showers are a real treat. Heck, even after one week. We remove the shower head for transport and you can use the two buckets to store stuff.