Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 AM

Default Stocked lakes/ ponds - Lorette, Sibbald, Grotto etc

Just wondering if it is worth heading to these ponds/ lakes or have they been completely fished out by now?

Any suggestions on good places with minimal hiking [say around 1km] would be appreciated

Cheers
Ian
Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 AM

pretty safe to say Lorrette is fished out , Sybill should still have some , not sure about grotto.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 AM

Default Stocked Ponds

Winchell lake out by Water Valley has always held fish well into the fall and even for early season ice fishing.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:51 AM

review this thread and if you want to prolong the harvest in these stocked ponds please send in your comments to Jim Stelfox supporting a reduction in the limit from 5 to 2.

If the purpose is to sport fish and have fun in the outdoors with the opportunity to take a couple home to eat...this is the way to go!

I CHALLENGE ALL OF YOU TO TAKE THIS ONE TIME TO HELP EFFECT POSITIVE CHANGE TO FISHERIES REGULATIONS IN ALBERTA! EXERCISE YOUR RIGHT TO LOBBY AS A RECREATIONAL FISHERMAN!

Please email ASAP!

Let's effect a regulation change. Email or Fax Jim Stelfox regarding the following issue!

Jim Stelfox
Senior Fisheries Biologist, Southern Rockies Area
Fish and Wildlife Division, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development
Box 1420, Room 228, 2nd floor, Provincial Building
Cochrane, Alberta, Canada T4C 1B4
Tel 403/851-2205, Fax 403/932-2158
Jim.Stelfox@gov.ab.ca

For many of us our first exposure to fishing as a kid was with our parents or grandparents. They took us camping or to their favorite local lake...set us up with everything we need to get hooked and started us on our path to being respectful and appreciative users of the great outdoors.

As our population exploded, our water bodies have become more and more loaded up with everyone "wanting their share" of the resource to the point that people need to catch and kill their limit in these put and take lakes before the next guy beside them catches "their trout".

What has resulted from this is that now we take our kids or ourselves out to K Country to relax and enjoy the great outdoors...share the love of everything "nature" with the next generation and be able to look into your son's or daughter's eyes as they see a trout rise and then the anticipation and excitement of seeing a trout bite. They the joyous laughter and loud expressions of amazement and thrill as they fight there first fish to the shallows. For some the next step is to kill the trout so that their child can eat their first fish and realize the hunting and gathering instinct we all have to some degree or in some instances explain how they enjoyed the experience so much that by releasing this fish back to the lake that they can come back again and relive the experience or allow another child this same thrill.

Unfortunately with these put and take lakes that the 5 fish per day limit in some fashion forces people to try and kill their limit. It makes this sport more about meat than about the thrill of the hunt. Now just to be clear I am not advocating catch and release but rather we all need to consider how to spread out the finite number of stocked trout in a lake to allow for people have a strong chance of seeing and hooking a trout versus coming out in June, July, August or September to find they were fished out long before. What a waste to see a child get bored and associate fishing with sitting doing nothing.

Therefore Allen Bill pond is going to be stocked again and for the first time this year since 2005 just before the outlet berm washed out in June 2005. Currently IMHO there is no long term fishery but rather a short window of a feeding frenzy. I would then respectfully request to all my fishing community to open up and email Jim Stelfox with the following proposal.

I recommend we take Allen Bill Pond and make it a special regulation lake to have a maximum daily limit of 1 trout per person. I also recommend we go baitless as my experience shows that with more fish in the lake a fly rod or spinning rod with a spinner, spoon or bobber and fly worked just great there. Baitless will allow for better survival of catch and release for those that desire that yet still leave a variety of other fishing methods available

Simple and straight forward. You take your family there...you want to eat fish...keep one each. You are not going to fill your freezer here but hey...do you really need to? At the same time...releasing trout means more fish and more future fun in one lake in which you can be more assured your trip to the mountains will not result in sadness for you and your kids due to no fish. Allen Bill Pond is also close to the city of Calgary such that the fishing pressure is that much more intense.

Please take the time to excercise your ability to direct managment recommendation in our fisheries! Please do not delay. The sooner you respond the sooner the regulation change can be implemented. There is a process and time is of the essence!

Cheers all.

Sun

Cheers

Sun
Old 08-18-2009, 08:12 AM

personally I gave up fishing stocked ponds. too many people keeping too many little trout . I don't see how you will ever stop this . they are put and take fisheries after all. Now don't get me wrong I agree with the lower limit
Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 AM

My buddy fished Grotto, he said TONNES of jumping little fish. Caught some on the fly, one bigger 13" one too. Winchell is a good choice, usually have luck with a five of diamonds there.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 AM

You might consider Elbow Lake... it might be slightly more of a hike than you're looking for, but not much. It has brookies in it and they usually aren't very fussy.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
personally I gave up fishing stocked ponds. too many people keeping too many little trout . I don't see how you will ever stop this . they are put and take fisheries after all. Now don't get me wrong I agree with the lower limit
I agree with that as I too stopped fishing the smaller public stocked lakes. I can say that after dropping the limits in Lake Sundance that there are a lot more fish around to catch. The "prolonged" harvest concept is a win/win and hopefully you can send in a quick email to Jim Stelfox supporting that.

Cheers

Sun
Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Default Stocked ponds

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
Personally, I gave up fishing anywhere in Alberta. The numbers of fishermen has seemed to be higher and higher than the numbers of fish. The cost of just going fishing, limited sizes and creel limit are just a couple limiting factors. Fish cops are less cops and more Revenuers willing to pinch people for nonsensical issues in the name of conservation.
I have a cabin in BC on a lake where I do all my fishing. I will never buy another license in Alberta. I truly feel sorry for all the guys that are limited to fishing Alberta.
if what I am writing seems a bit harsh, I direct your attention to the true measure of Alberta's idea of fish management. A freaking limited entry draw for walleye. That says it all! I wish it weren't so.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 PM

You're starting to sound like a zealot, Sundance. I think designating a few of the stocked waters as C&R or 1-2 harvest is a good idea (as they have already done). However, I think 5 catch limit is about right for the families or individuals who can only get out once or twice a year. Alot of the stocked lakes in the Edmonton area do fine right into the winter. If that situation differs in your neck of the woods, perhaps addressing the limits or stocking numbers of some specific waters in that area that tend to get pounded too hard is the answer rather than a sweeping limit change.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser99 View Post
Personally, I gave up fishing anywhere in Alberta. The numbers of fishermen has seemed to be higher and higher than the numbers of fish. The cost of just going fishing, limited sizes and creel limit are just a couple limiting factors. Fish cops are less cops and more Revenuers willing to pinch people for nonsensical issues in the name of conservation.
I have a cabin in BC on a lake where I do all my fishing. I will never buy another license in Alberta. I truly feel sorry for all the guys that are limited to fishing Alberta.
if what I am writing seems a bit harsh, I direct your attention to the true measure of Alberta's idea of fish management. A freaking limited entry draw for walleye. That says it all! I wish it weren't so.
Im from BC and have found the fishing here in Alberta increadible just check some of my posts, the trout fishing here is tops in the WORLD with all the bulls, cutties and monster brown trout!!! I have no problem releasing walleye and other fish, if I have a strong craveing Ill buy a few fillets of cod to fry up. I also have lots of fishing spots where I can fish all day and not run into anyone I also have a few Brookies I caught on my days off filited up sitting in some brine waiting to be smoked up tommorrow morning ( two over 3LB)
Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Alberta fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Im from BC and have found the fishing here in Alberta increadible just check some of my posts, the trout fishing here is tops in the WORLD with all the bulls, cutties and monster brown trout!!! I have no problem releasing walleye and other fish, if I have a strong craveing Ill buy a few fillets of cod to fry up. I also have lots of fishing spots where I can fish all day and not run into anyone I also have a few Brookies I caught on my days off filited up sitting in some brine waiting to be smoked up tommorrow morning ( two over 3LB)
You Sir, are a luckier man than me! I really wish I had your luck around Calgary. I used to fish Meadow creek near Waiporous for cutties but they disappeared as brookies moved in. There were a lot of 4X4s and stuff crossing the creek and i think that had a detremental effect on the population. I tried a couple other places but for whatever reason..no luck.
I have a place at Trout Lake, south of Revelstoke. Ever been there?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
You're starting to sound like a zealot, Sundance. I think designating a few of the stocked waters as C&R or 1-2 harvest is a good idea (as they have already done). However, I think 5 catch limit is about right for the families or individuals who can only get out once or twice a year. Alot of the stocked lakes in the Edmonton area do fine right into the winter. If that situation differs in your neck of the woods, perhaps addressing the limits or stocking numbers of some specific waters in that area that tend to get pounded too hard is the answer rather than a sweeping limit change.
Depending upon the water body size and stocking rate and catch and kill rate I am sure some lakes do fine. I am not advocating a trophy or 1 over 20 inch limit for these lakes as they can not sustain it. But for a put and take lake in simple terms if all you can put in is 100 trout say...then the first 20 people kill them all. Then the lake is useless to fish and it is a shame if as you say families wish to catch fish. Soon after stocking the families should not even bother in some lakes. Now if you said you can only keep 2 then 50 people can take fish home. I will do a poll to see how many people fish for meat versus fishing for sport and fun. It will be interesting to see. I love eating fish but I love catching them two. How about combining the two and delaying harvest by spreading the available trout around rather than feeding the greedy...in those ponds that get fished out quickly.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 PM

Hoser99, lets get this straight. You feel sorry for anyone who is limited to fishing alberta. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that meadow creek is a good spot to fish. You dont like fishing alberta due to the cost. I guess it must be free to fish in trout lake BC. If the cost is what is holding you back from fishing in Alberta, take a look at what a BC licence cost... 36$ The cost of fishing in Alberta is 10$ for a win card. That is good for 5 years. The actual fishing license is 27$. so 37 bucks and your good to go. Crowded rivers? I rarly see another fisherman out there.
Some times in fishing and life you have to share things. I dont know of any sport out there where you are the only person doing it. Do the alberta fishers a favor and go to TROUT LAKE and stay there. I feel sorry for anyone who has to resort to bad mouthing Alberta fishing because she cant catch fish here. Whats going to happen when the world class trout lake skunks you? Move to sask and hate bc. Spin caster!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Depending upon the water body size and stocking rate and catch and kill rate I am sure some lakes do fine. I am not advocating a trophy or 1 over 20 inch limit for these lakes as they can not sustain it. But for a put and take lake in simple terms if all you can put in is 100 trout say...then the first 20 people kill them all. Then the lake is useless to fish and it is a shame if as you say families wish to catch fish. Soon after stocking the families should not even bother in some lakes. Now if you said you can only keep 2 then 50 people can take fish home. I will do a poll to see how many people fish for meat versus fishing for sport and fun. It will be interesting to see. I love eating fish but I love catching them two. How about combining the two and delaying harvest by spreading the available trout around rather than feeding the greedy...in those ponds that get fished out quickly.
Hey I'm with you on that - I don't need to bring anything home to make it a good fishing trip but I love to chow down on fish I've caught at least once every month or two.

If there's a lake whose stocked population has truly dwindled to near nothingness halfway through the open water season, by all means cut the limit down or stock more in there.

I just don't want to see any sweeping, heavy handed changes to all of the stocked fisheries in this province - many of which are good bets 365 a year. Underfunded F&W departments have been known to make such changes without any real understanding of individual fisheries.

BTW, your poll is missing the "I like fishing. I like eating fish. I don't fill my freezer." option.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 PM

I will not be sending an email to Jim Stelfox to lower the limit to 2 from 5. There are many ponds in other parts of Alberta than yours that keep fish all year long. I propose that you email Jim Stelfox and ask that there be a review of some of the stocked ponds in alberta and maybe think of stocking the ones that get fished out, multiple times per year. I see that as a better use of my money than lowering the limit for all the stocked ponds, lakes and resivoirs. If increased stocking is not a viable option than there should be a lowered limit on only the overfished areas. Please do not ask for sweeping change for the whole province when it is only needed in Calgary!!! Thank you for your concern and for the contact info for Jim, I will be sending him my opinion. I do understand your frustration but please see the whole picture.

To Hoser99
You can stay in BC!

I enjoy fishing for fishing not for filling my boat or freezer!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckman View Post
I will not be sending an email to Jim Stelfox to lower the limit to 2 from 5. There are many ponds in other parts of Alberta than yours that keep fish all year long. I propose that you email Jim Stelfox and ask that there be a review of some of the stocked ponds in alberta and maybe think of stocking the ones that get fished out, multiple times per year. I see that as a better use of my money than lowering the limit for all the stocked ponds, lakes and resivoirs. If increased stocking is not a viable option than there should be a lowered limit on only the overfished areas. Please do not ask for sweeping change for the whole province when it is only needed in Calgary!!! Thank you for your concern and for the contact info for Jim, I will be sending him my opinion. I do understand your frustration but please see the whole picture.

To Hoser99
You can stay in BC!

I enjoy fishing for fishing not for filling my boat or freezer!

You and I are in agreement. If there is a problem with a stocked pond getting fished out quickly then dropping the limit is fine. If there is no problem with over harvest then leave it at 5. I think saying that to Jim is an important point. As for stocking it repeatedly...since that benefits only those greedy people that want to fill their freezers and care less about the experience...I would strongly suspect 99% of anglers would not support the money being spent on such an activity but rather being spent on the whole fishery in Alberta. Stocking is an extremely expensive proposition. A 12 inch trout can cost $5 to buy from a hatchery. 5 of them costs $25. Repeated visits and the cost benefit goes to a limited few within the province.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser99 View Post
You Sir, are a luckier man than me! I really wish I had your luck around Calgary. I used to fish Meadow creek near Waiporous for cutties but they disappeared as brookies moved in. There were a lot of 4X4s and stuff crossing the creek and i think that had a detremental effect on the population. I tried a couple other places but for whatever reason..no luck.
I have a place at Trout Lake, south of Revelstoke. Ever been there?
The biggest hurtle fishing Alberta is just GRAP A MAP and get out!! You have the Bow River at your feet, and if you dont like crowds how hard is it to drive outside the city and move up and down the river exploring. Im from Vancouver Island and for the longest time I never gave Red Deer and area a chance I would end up waiting for my holidays so I could head home to fish. Affter purchasing a copy of barry mitchell guide (bible) I use my time off to explore around jasper (free camping in Hinton) and all over nordegg which also has free camping in and around tons of streams and rivers only 2.5-3hrs from you. I find it extreamly hard to listen to anyone complain about fishing in Alberta when thay have no clue what there talking about hence you my friend, Id like to take you out and throw trout off you head anyways just get out and look around. I also suggest looking up a lake with brookies and give icefishing for them a try, absolutely stunning colours and you sight fish in less than 1.5ft of water!!! cant wait
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You and I are in agreement. If there is a problem with a stocked pond getting fished out quickly then dropping the limit is fine. If there is no problem with over harvest then leave it at 5. I think saying that to Jim is an important point. As for stocking it repeatedly...since that benefits only those greedy people that want to fill their freezers and care less about the experience...I would strongly suspect 99% of anglers would not support the money being spent on such an activity but rather being spent on the whole fishery in Alberta. Stocking is an extremely expensive proposition. A 12 inch trout can cost $5 to buy from a hatchery. 5 of them costs $25. Repeated visits and the cost benefit goes to a limited few within the province.
I never knew the cost associated with stocking rainbows. I would have to agree with the lowered limit in select lakes. Thank you for the idea of how much it really costs to have this service provided to us.