Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Meat fishing

what is the largest amount of fish you have caught and kept for food, mine is 16 gold eye in a small river up by Fort McMurry a few years back and yes they were legal
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Gone Hunting

We used to go to Pine Point every year to fish for Jack. The only time I weighed my total catch, anywhere was on one of the last times I went.

The total for 10 fish was 86 3/4 pounds.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM

My best trip was salmon fishing at Bella Coola, BC. Everyone in our party
caught their limit of pink and chum salmon all three days we fished, and while not the *most* fish for a trip, for pounds caught we did pretty good. We had fresh caught salmon for every meal every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and still brought back fish.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
My best trip was salmon fishing at Bella Coola, BC. Everyone in our party
caught their limit of pink and chum salmon all three days we fished, and while not the *most* fish for a trip, for pounds caught we did pretty good. We had fresh caught salmon for every meal every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and still brought back fish.
What were the possession limits like?

I remember we almost needed an inventory for our freezer with the number of sal****er fish I'd bring home.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
What were the possession limits like?

I remember we almost needed an inventory for our freezer with the number of sal****er fish I'd bring home.
To be honest I don't recall the daily catch limits. I think it was 5 for pinks, 3 for chums, but I could be wrong. I don't recall what the possession limit was, but I know we had to keep eating fish in order to keep more fish!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
To be honest I don't recall the daily catch limits. I think it was 5 for pinks, 3 for chums, but I could be wrong. I don't recall what the possession limit was, but I know we had to keep eating fish in order to keep more fish!
Man, that is a ton of meat!

Makin my mouth water.

Maybe I'll go thaw some burb for tomorrow....
Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Most I've possessed was probably 12lbs of pike (8lber and a 4lber). I don't keep many fish.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM

When i lived in northwest ontario we used to go dip netting for jumbo whitefish around halloween every year. Limt was 25 per man and each fish was between 5-10 lbs. I sure miss smoked whitefish!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
It's usually four per person per day combined across all species, fresh and salt, now, with possession limit twice the daily limit.

One boat with four limits of rockfish and a couple big lingcod. Four rods fishing.

Otherwise our food fish came from the local res. after they'd taken their chum salmon; we were given a 3/4 ton loaded to the top of the box with chum and smoked the whole batch.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:08 PM

64 lake whites one morning, couple of winters ago. all between 1-8lbs, between the 8 of us, probably lost twice that. lol. We would put our camera down 75ft and see 4-8 whites in the camera screen at all times. hahaha. and one bow at 28inch caught on a tip up. What a race that was to the flag. first one there got to bring in the fish.
then countless hours of cleaning. lol.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinggeek View Post
64 lake whites one morning, couple of winters ago. all between 1-8lbs, between the 8 of us, probably lost twice that. lol. We would put our camera down 75ft and see 4-8 whites in the camera screen at all times. hahaha. and one bow at 28inch caught on a tip up. What a race that was to the flag. first one there got to bring in the fish.
then countless hours of cleaning. lol.
That is crazy deep for whites!! to me anyways. That is probably why I dont catch fish like yours....... Anyways. What time of year was that in? I am assuming either mid winter or closer to spring?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
That is crazy deep for whites!! to me anyways. That is probably why I dont catch fish like yours....... Anyways. What time of year was that in? I am assuming either mid winter or closer to spring?
Just head out 6.5hrs to dief, go right to wild west trout farm, head out to the nets in the wintertime on diefenbaker lake, find the easy to spot city of icefishing huts sitting right outside the trout nets, put on a small ball of dough made from trout pellets egg and flower, and fill your boots with lake whites. hahaha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocG457ZtLg