Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-10-2024, 09:59 AM

Default Scope for a 22 Hornet?

Hey guys-after a long search and a few other rifle distractions, I was finally able to find a nice CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet, and gleefully went about starting to mount the scope I had in mind for the gun, and older Leupold Vari-X AO that tops-out @ 12X. Nice glossy scope, thought it would be a home run. Nope! The scope's eye relief if a bit too generous, so the scope has to be mounted jammed forward against the rings with far too much scope hanging off forward of the front one.

Rail/weaver rings? I've done that before on 527s, the best rail type (like EGW) adds a fair amount of height. Not keen on 30mm tubes, or an Obj. bigger than about 44mm. I'm hoping to use rings directly, and open to any brand but Leupold. (the most I'd ever spent on rings were Leupolds, and they were the only rings I've ever owned that damaged a scope due to poor machining)

SO, it might come down to the eye relief/length of the scope. Interested in seeing your set-ups/scope suggestions, what you're using on your 527, pics, etc. Anything would help.

Based on what I've read, some of the lowest weaver rings are Ken Farrell's, but that seems like overkill. What are you guys using? Pics?

thanks!
Old 06-10-2024, 10:07 AM

Depending on when that 527 was made, you can buy a bolt handle that allows you to mount the scope much lower and closer to the action. Later made 527s came with the altered bolt from the factory. Jim Calhoon is one source for the lower bolt handle. My 527s I just use standard CZ low rings with the altered bolt handle, and generally a 6x24x44 scope.
Old 06-10-2024, 12:19 PM

I used CZ rings on one 527, and Warne on the other. Scopes were a Zeiss 3-15x 42 HD5
Old 06-10-2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11;4729072 [B
]I used CZ rings on one 527, and Warne on the other.[/B] Scopes were a Zeiss 3-15x 42 HD5
Same, same, I have only had mounting issues if the power ring is big and over molded / sized. Two of my CZ rigs run 6x scopes and my Walther with an old school 3.5x Walther scope. I never feel that I am under scoped.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:01 AM

Burris FF 3-9x40 with the ballistic-plex reticule is an inexpensive scope that works really well on Hornets (fairly short eye relief on 9X too). The 4 hash marks can likely be made to correspond with nice incremental yardages out to about 250 yards.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:57 AM

Default scope for a Hornet

I like a fixed 6X Leupold for a walking hunting rifle SAKO....It's a 200 yard gun.
Old 06-11-2024, 12:20 PM

I prefer 4 to 14X scopes on smaller calibers usually because I am dealing with smaller critters and if I can see them wink or wave to me I consider them friendly. I use Burris rings, medium or high. On lower power cartridges I have found the inexpensive Hawke scopes to have very good clarity and fine crosshairs and have held up well for me. Expensive scopes are for big or dangerous game.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:43 PM

I have two different setups on my 527’s in 223, one is a minox 2-10x40 in I think medium leupold rings and the other is a 6-18x44 vortex crossfire2 in I think leopold low picatinni rings with I forget the name of the rail.

I found there’s a fair bit of variance in heights between ring manufacturers and it took some time to find their specs.

If you’re calling your leupold scope eye relief too generous I wonder how far forward are you on the stock, my minox is 4” and it’s mounted just fine
Old 06-12-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I like a fixed 6X Leupold for a walking hunting rifle SAKO....It's a 200 yard gun.
Now you’re talking - later, much later for the cz527. I had one in 17 hornet, I love rifles but I hated that thing. Happy day when it left. Best part of that rifle it was really pretty, closely followed by it held its price-point (can’t say value lol) very well. I know a lot of guys love them but I’m not in that crowd. Pretty sure mine was made Friday afternoon just before quitting time.

Rant over, lol, I had a 3-9x40 Leopold on mine. With the factory rings that came with the rifle. As I remember it the bolt was really tight to the scope, not sure if you’d be able to fit a 30mm tube on there

Last edited by aardvaark; 06-12-2024 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
Now you’re talking - later, much later for the cz527. I had one in 17 hornet, I love rifles but I hated that thing. Happy day when it left. Best part of that rifle it was really pretty, closely followed by it held its price-point (can’t say value lol) very well. I know a lot of guys love them but I’m not in that crowd. Pretty sure mine was made Friday afternoon just before quitting time.

Rant over, lol, I had a 3-9x40 Leopold on mine. With the factory rings that came with the rifle. As I remember it the bolt was really tight to the scope, not sure if you’d be able to fit a 30mm tube on there
Yep=no 30mm-tubed scopes for me/for this, I'm down to one and it's on my 204R. They look nutty on 527s and anything smaller, at least to my eyes. As for "Expensive scopes are for big or dangerous game" I get that too. I might be more inclined to say;

Expensive scopes are for the guns you use most. And for heavy-recoiling guns. lol

Yeah, funny, I've always had mixed feelings about 527s but I do like them. They're the nicest 22/17 Hornets in my opinion, now I have one of each. I could never imagine myself shooting one for hours, and I've never shot one enough to know what a broken-in one feels like. I did decide I don't want a varmint model if I found a 22H, so the one needing the scope is a 22H American. There is a Bushnell 3200 Elite 4-12 AO sitting at the post office close to my house, I'll be checking the fit soon.

If it works-out, I'll post a pic.

thanks again guys
Old 06-28-2024, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Hey guys-after a long search and a few other rifle distractions, I was finally able to find a nice CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet, and gleefully went about starting to mount the scope I had in mind for the gun, and older Leupold Vari-X AO that tops-out @ 12X. Nice glossy scope, thought it would be a home run. Nope! The scope's eye relief if a bit too generous, so the scope has to be mounted jammed forward against the rings with far too much scope hanging off forward of the front one.

Rail/weaver rings? I've done that before on 527s, the best rail type (like EGW) adds a fair amount of height. Not keen on 30mm tubes, or an Obj. bigger than about 44mm. I'm hoping to use rings directly, and open to any brand but Leupold. (the most I'd ever spent on rings were Leupolds, and they were the only rings I've ever owned that damaged a scope due to poor machining)

SO, it might come down to the eye relief/length of the scope. Interested in seeing your set-ups/scope suggestions, what you're using on your 527, pics, etc. Anything would help.

Based on what I've read, some of the lowest weaver rings are Ken Farrell's, but that seems like overkill. What are you guys using? Pics?

thanks!
Would a thicker recoil pad(unneeded) give you enough eye relief .