Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 AM

Default WW2 Vet - Denied Health Care - Blood Boiling yet ? Didnt they just cut 25,000 new health care cards.... Were losing

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...card-1.3375487

A concerned citizen.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 AM

Smile Bureaucracy?

Don't you just love it. Here is how it works, they have rules, if there aren't any they write them. Then they can only say NO to exceptions. The politicians can and will "solve" this in a heart beat.

There will be lots of photo ops for people who weren't born when this man served.

It is true in every country.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 AM

The vet situation has nothing to do with the refugee's. Your title linking the two is just dog whistle politics, poorly disguised. The rules for the vet will get sorted out as soon as a bureaucrat uses their brain.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
The vet situation has nothing to do with the refugee's. Your title linking the two is just dog whistle politics, poorly disguised. The rules for the vet will get sorted out as soon as a bureaucrat uses their brain.
But it is a sign of the growing frustration in this country. Opening up and spending billions on foreigners when a Canadian Vet can't get the help needed.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-22-2015, 09:27 AM

it was the previous government who started cutting services to vets - give the new government time to fix it
Old 12-22-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
it was the previous government who started cutting services to vets - give the new government time to fix it
After all the military cuts John and Paul made do you seriously think Justin will help? Maybe pass a joint, that'll help. I hope I'm wrong.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-22-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
But it is a sign of the growing frustration in this country. Opening up and spending billions on foreigners when a Canadian Vet can't get the help needed.
Canadians have overwhelmingly welcomed the refugees. The "billions" to which you refer are not in play in the vets story. My comment stands ... just a dog whistle.
Want to support the vet, make a call. Whining about refugees does him no good!
Mods have been good trying to tone down the politics in Gen Discussion, but I guess some missed the memo?

Last edited by 260 Rem; 12-22-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
liberals where cutting services to vets way before the pc

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-22-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
We need to look after our own people, before we start worrying about refugees.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Canadians have overwhelmingly welcomed the refugees. The "billions" to which you refer are not in play in the vets story. My comment stands ... just a dog whistle.
Mods have been good trying to tone down the politics in Gen Discussion, but I guess some missed the memo?

Really so the 2 are seperate? Where is this money tree Trudeau found, he's robbing Peter to pay Paul! Only problem is Paul never lived here , never put one red cent into tax , never stood up to fight for his country, and very, very likely will be a tax drain for eons to come..
Meanwhile Peter, who would have given his life for his country gets the shaft, nope I don't see anything wrong with that picture.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
How is that exactly? I mean if we are issuing health cards to non Canadian citizens some of which have questionable ID, how come this man has to prove Canadian citizenship to get his? Why can't he just be issued one (again no less) by showing his expired Canadian passport and health care card? Why is the burden of proof higher for a decorated WWII vet than a newcomer to Canada?

I think this is valid to compare the two situations. It's not about whether refugees should or shouldn't be here or get health cards etc., it's about how the government when they want to do something can get it done in arguably "record time" and with "checks" that lots of people are concerned about. Those same concerns that people are expressing about refugees are the same bureaucratic red tape and reasoning being used to deny this man a health card. The irony in this case is staggering.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 AM

He was not denied medical care. This isn't political, it's a process being followed to rigorously by clerks. Breathe................
Old 12-22-2015, 09:50 AM

A dumb low level bureaucrat will be getting a call from the Minister's office any second now. It will all be fixed by lunch.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We need to look after our own people, before we start worrying about refugees.
Right on, our welfare cheats deserve more
So is the Fed Gov issuing health cards?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 AM

this veteran will get his card, they treated him with no cost to him or family...this is just a misunderstanding in a huge way..it may not seem right at this point but he did get the treatment he needed,my bet is he has his new card pretty quick as well.
Now this will be another one of those threads that will get locked down and feelings hurt...those poor mods, their job is getting a bit tougher these days trying to figure out when to put a stop to these sorta threads.
I also want to go on record as saying I don't like that this vet had to go through this..it is not fair at all....but like I said, he will be looked after post haste!
Ibtl
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Apparently you didn't get the memo either?????
Old 12-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Apparently you didn't get the memo either?????
Hey, good to see you back Hal ... Since AO took "the decision", I have removed you from my ignore list. Guess the whistle woke you up this morning
Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Hey, good to see you back Hal ... Since AO took "the decision", I have removed you from my ignore list. Guess the whistle woke you up this morning
Hal was suspended??? I didn't even know. Damn, so my signature line earned me absolutely no cred. Damn! LOL

Well Hal, welcome to the club of suspended users. Just stay out of band camp!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:10 AM

That's true....

No need to talk about things like this... it'll all work out right ?!

Doors are wide open!
System is full of holes that foreigners are exploiting

Lets be 'nice' Canadians as per usual, be oblivious and give away, without any plan what so ever... the most precious thing on the planet today CANADA! to other people that clearly want at all cost, what we as typical Canadians take for granted everyday.

Should be interesting to see how things play out.... I know the Scandinavian countries are pretty happy about the decisions they've made towards immigration in the past 20 years....
Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Do me a favor and put me back on it...I would hate for you to see things that "upset" you...LOL
Old 12-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Hal was suspended??? I didn't even know. Damn, so my signature line earned me absolutely no cred. Damn! LOL

Well Hal, welcome to the club of suspended users. Just stay out of band camp!
All I want for Christmas is for you to change your sig line haha!!! Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
All I want for Christmas is for you to change your sig line haha!!! Merry Christmas!!!
Happy Holidays Hal

ok ok, I just said that to yank your chain. Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
How are the 2 examples not related? At issue is whether or no he is a citizen of Canada. It is impossibly for a Refugee to be a citizen but they will recieve their health care cards, but someone who has a copy of an expired passport, has served this country, and probably much more can't?

If the issue was one of residency or something then sure, I agree the two are not related but in this case there is a direct correlation between someone who has served this country his entire life being denied the something someone who has just arrived is given.

Nothing to do with whether we you agree with taking in the refugees, how it is being handled, or anything related. It simply boils down to, does a citizen of this country have the same rights as someone who is still applying for that status. In this case the answer is no!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoak View Post
WW2 Vet - Denied Health Care - Blood Boiling yet ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...card-1.3375487

A concerned citizen.
He wasn't denied health care, he was denied a health care card until he gets his documents in order.

I appreciate that they are not issuing health care cards to anyone that walks in with a photo copy and a story.

Had he actually been denied health care you and the "sky is falling" media would have something credible to talk about instead of wasting people's time. I know they do it for the ratings but why are you buying into this?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Do me a favor and put me back on it...I would hate for you to seethe truth...LOL
fixed it for ya

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
What services were cut? Perhaps you are referring to the New Veterans Charter which was drafted and implemented by Paul Martin's Liberals in 2005. It was conceived by Jean Chretien's Liberals around 2002. The media party conveniently left those facts out while reporting on it over the last couple years!

Or maybe you are referring to the closure of the 9 regional Veterans Affairs offices that were under review for closure as far back as 2003 and the Treasury board decided that maintaining government offices that served only a handful of individuals was cost ineffective and that the same services could be had at Service Canada offices in the same communities, in a couple of cases in the same building! One office had 1 walk in visit and only a handful of phone or email inquiries over the 12 months preceding it's closure. That is not cutting services, that is cutting REDUNDANT services and correct stewardship of taxpayer dollars.

The more you know!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Banned

Careful, don't point out anything bad about the Libs or NDP, you'll make some on here cry you meanie.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
What services were cut? Perhaps you are referring to the New Veterans Charter which was drafted and implemented by Paul Martin's Liberals in 2005. It was conceived by Jean Chretien's Liberals around 2002. The media party conveniently left those facts out while reporting on it over the last couple years!

Or maybe you are referring to the closure of the 9 regional Veterans Affairs offices that were under review for closure as far back as 2003 and the Treasury board decided that maintaining government offices that served only a handful of individuals was cost ineffective and that the same services could be had at Service Canada offices in the same communities, in a couple of cases in the same building! One office had 1 walk in visit and only a handful of phone or email inquiries over the 12 months preceding it's closure. That is not cutting services, that is cutting REDUNDANT services and correct stewardship of taxpayer dollars.

The more you know!
Good post. Amazing what the biased media have accomplished.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
We are talking about a 94 year old second world war veteran. Are you accusing him of being a welfare cheat?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We are talking about a 94 year old second world war veteran. Are you accusing him of being a welfare cheat?
I hate to say it but there are all sorts of "war vets" looking for handouts downtown Ottawa and numerous other cities these days that couldn't tell you which way the bullet goes in.

I have full faith this guy is who he says he is but the rules are in place for a reason. If he was born in Scotland and doesn't have a birth certificate he should use his immigration card. If we allow anyone to just vouch for themselves that is where the welfare fraud comes in.