Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 PM

Default Specialize or change it up?

Just wondering how many of you folks like to key in on just a couple types of fish, or if you go after a variety? Like I know that there are some folks that prefer to chase walleye, or are just into trout or whatever.

For me, I change it up a lot. At one point in time or another this year I've targeted stocked trout (rainbows and brookies) tons of pike this spring, walleye, goldeye, and even a whack of perch from Hasse on a couple occasions. It's not because I'm bored with one type or another, but I just like going to different spots and chasing different fish

Hasse perch

Big ol' river pike

Goldeye

And a stocked rainbow

Does this guy count for anything?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Nice pics Geezle.
I try and mix it up, we don't have a lot of trout opportunity out here unless its a dugout, but I love to fish for em, still learning on my fly rod.
My favorite fish to catch has to be pike, lots of fun and great tasting!! Therefore I don't usually target Walleye. Truthfully the only time I go out and specifically target a species is icefishing.
Well I have tried sturgeon fishing too but to date no luck for me.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 AM

Of course they count whenever the fishings slow theres nothing better to do but flip a rock over and catch a few..there pretty cool and when theres no fish in the pot they can be pretty tasty boiled with some garlic butter mmmmm
Old 07-25-2010, 04:51 AM

I love to switch it up. It is just as much fun to fish high mountain lakes for small cutts as it is to do my annual fly in for walleye and pike. (10 more days, I can't wait) I also love to fish the creeks for rainbows, browns, bulls, brookies, rockies or grayling. A few perch in the winter and start all over again. I will have to try the NSR for a few of those goldeyes one day or maybe even on of those sturgeon.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Nice pics Geezle.
I try and mix it up, we don't have a lot of trout opportunity out here unless its a dugout, but I love to fish for em, still learning on my fly rod.
My favorite fish to catch has to be pike, lots of fun and great tasting!! Therefore I don't usually target Walleye. Truthfully the only time I go out and specifically target a species is icefishing.
Well I have tried sturgeon fishing too but to date no luck for me.
Thanks

I almost forgot about the sturgeon...I've spent some time targeting those guys as well, but so far the sturgeon still elude me.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 PM

I've caught a lot of crawdads,I've always wondered what they wuold be like. How cold and clean should the water be? Do you cook them just like lobster?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I've caught a lot of crawdads,I've always wondered what they wuold be like. How cold and clean should the water be? Do you cook them just like lobster?
Do a forum search. There is a relatively recent thread about cooking those lil guys. Personally I've yet to cook them, but if I did, I'd give em a really quick boil, and then pan fry with whatever floats your boat - a lil garlic butter and perhaps a couple favorite spices - like cajun and roasted red pepper, for me
(Assuming they are coming from decent water??? don't know about around here?)

And as for the original question Geezle. I fish any species I can get within reach of! Gotta make my way up farther North, still lotsa species for this boy to catch here in Alberta!(example- cuttys, golden, grayling and a few more).
I think I've knocked sturgeon off my list though, can't seem to recall Jus kiddn hehe.
Cheers n GL all!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 PM

I mostly fish for 'eyes. that been said I do fish for trout, pike a lot. As long as im fishing the species doesn't really matter
Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Thanks

I almost forgot about the sturgeon...I've spent some time targeting those guys as well, but so far the sturgeon still elude me.
cause your never at the hole!!! mr anti-social. funny thing about fishing for sturgeon is that I always catch tons of OTHER fish......
Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
cause your never at the hole!!! mr anti-social. funny thing about fishing for sturgeon is that I always catch tons of OTHER fish......
Yeah yeah, I know

Was gonna drop by yesterday actually, but BBJ couldn't make it and I figured the spot would be fairly busy since it was a nice sunny Sunday afternoon.

There are actually 2 out of the way spots I want to try for sturgeon. One's in the city and I fished it for sturg once, but only caught a nice walleye. The other is outside of the city and I haven't really put any time into it yet. Too many fishing options sometimes! (if that's possible)

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Im all about targeting one spieces , but sometimes you get a surprise . I love my Pike and walleye fishing , but sometimes you hook into a perch aswell , Or targeting Sturgeon and end up catching well god only know what your gonna catch maybe a top hat , or tampon ,Perhaps a dead goldeye or whatever else lovely desides to be attacted to your hook .

Jay sorry about yesterday was enjoying the indy . Ill be back at it agian daily after wednesday .
Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 PM

No worries bud, can't be fishing *all* the time...just most of it!

Ran into Cody down there today

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 PM

yeah we ran into each other and no fish
Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Nobody got anything there last night? How long did you guys stick around?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Theres a simple answer to that , they are simply waiting for me ... they miss me slaming razor sharp hooks thru there faces .
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
ummm till about 10:30
Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Theres a simple answer to that , they are simply waiting for me ... they miss me slaming razor sharp hooks thru there faces .
So that's how it is huh?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams