Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 06:10 PM

Default RV Dealers

Any recomendations? Who is good? who to avoid? I'm northeast of Edmonton but willing to travel.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:44 PM

service wise or purchasing?

If buying, why on earth anyone would buy new is beyond me. With the economy the way it is, there is no advantage to buying new other than financing it over the rest of your life at $50 a week. Kijiji is absolutely flooded with rv's right now.

The markup on new rv's is insane. I wouldn't offer more than 70-75% of msrp on any new rv. Warranty really isn't that big of a concern IMO. In fact, Id rather get a unit 2-3 years old that has been well looked after, barely used, and likely already had the little bugs worked out or repaired. Too many horror stories of wasting an entire year trying to get service work done on something bought at that specific dealer or simply being outright refused warranty work if the unit wasn't bought at their dealership ect....

Only problem with Kijiji from what I have seen lately is people are unrealistic in what they are asking for their rv's. I attribute this to the low down payment and 30 year financing plan they chose. Guess what people, you are not going to sell a 3 year old trailer for 25 grand, when you bought it for 30g simply because you still owe 25 on it lol

just my 2 cents
Old 04-30-2016, 07:48 PM

I bought our rev from carefree in 2008 and was completely happy with the experience. Msrp was $35k and got it for $27500 tax in out the door with a hitch on the back.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post

If buying, why on earth anyone would buy new is beyond me. With the economy the way it is, there is no advantage to buying new other than financing it over the rest of your life at $50 a week. Kijiji is absolutely flooded with rv's right now.

The markup on new rv's is insane. I wouldn't offer more than 70-75% of msrp on any new rv. Warranty really isn't that big of a concern IMO. In fact, Id rather get a unit 2-3 years old that has been well looked after, barely used, and likely already had the little bugs worked out or repaired. Too many horror stories of wasting an entire year trying to get service work done on something bought at that specific dealer or simply being outright refused warranty work if the unit wasn't bought at their dealership ect....

Only problem with Kijiji from what I have seen lately is people are unrealistic in what they are asking for their rv's. I attribute this to the low down payment and 30 year financing plan they chose. Guess what people, you are not going to sell a 3 year old trailer for 25 grand, when you bought it for 30g simply because you still owe 25 on it lol

just my 2 cents
I won't buy a used vehicle or RV for the simple fact I don't want anything that has been smoked in , puked in or anything else in. I'm buying it so I should be able to buy whatever I want I would think but thanks for the input.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:28 PM

Frazerway on Stony Plain road has been great to deal with. They have their annual spring clear out on now.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:33 PM

I'd avoid Carefree RV in Edmonton, based on personal experience.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:08 PM

Mornville rv is good to deal with. but there service department is horrible. Once they get your money they could care less. My dad has had his in for repair twice and they didn't even fix the problems. Had to leave it there a third time...
Old 04-30-2016, 10:31 PM

Have dealt with Fraserway in the past, walked away with a positive exprience
Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
I won't buy a used vehicle or RV for the simple fact I don't want anything that has been smoked in , puked in or anything else in. I'm buying it so I should be able to buy whatever I want I would think but thanks for the input.
No offense intended. I understand the points you raised. I have bought vehicles brand new simply because I cant find what I want used. In the same token, I have bought 5 rv's used that have been in mint shape. Its pretty easy when looking at an rv and dealing with the seller if it has been babied, or beat to sh*t.

Good luck with your purchase
Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 AM

Default RV

PM sent
Old 05-01-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post

just my 2 cents
You answered your own 2nd sentence question with your last paragraph, you would never quess the economy is in the tank with the prices people are asking, crazy.
Op, can't recommend a good one, but stay as far away from Roadmaster in Leduc as you can.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:44 AM

Stay away from Fraser Way RV in Airdrie as I agree with buying a brand new second hand one (used) some great deals on kijiji people need money
Old 05-01-2016, 10:05 AM

Allstar RV north of sherwood park is decent, its where I bought my Jayco.

I visited many RV dealers when I shopped for mine and wasn't overly impressed by any of them. It's the kind of purchase you really want to do a bunch of your own research. Sales people don't seem to have very in depth knowledge on the products, especially when comparing their own product to competitors. They will generally tell you anything they think you want to hear.

Rv dot net forum is an excellent resource.

And like others have said, push for 30% off msrp, its possible to get there. Wish I would have negotiated more agressively when I bought. Oh and be prepared to hear the sob story of prices being affected by the CDN to US dollar.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
I'd avoid Carefree RV in Edmonton, based on personal experience.
Same here. Made a bad electrical repair that we caught before it started a fire! Have gone to Arkaan RV off Sherwood Park Freeway between 34th St and 17th Street since. Very good service and quality work. Will send in your warranty claim even if you didn't buy trailer from them.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the advice but we found what we were looking for at an amazing price at Allstar RV in Sherwood Park. The people we dealt with there were awesome, just hope the service is as good.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:56 PM

When my wife and I were shopping go for a trailer back in 2013, best 2 dealers were Allstar and GoRV in Leduc. Great people, spent a lot of time with us over 2 days as we kept going back looking at one trailer at each dealer. Sales people not pushy. We ended up going with GoRV . I would recommend either one.

We hit every dealer in the Edmonton area over 5 days.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:33 PM

Are you willing to travel to the US? If so check out Blue Dog RV in Post Falls ID. I got my trailer from them 3 years ago. Easy to deal with and top notch customer service in both sales and service. When I picked my trailer up they spent over an hour walking through it with me showing me how everything worked and allowed me to inspect to ensure it was up to what I expected before taking it away.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Are you willing to travel to the US? If so check out Blue Dog RV in Post Falls ID. I got my trailer from them 3 years ago. Easy to deal with and top notch customer service in both sales and service. When I picked my trailer up they spent over an hour walking through it with me showing me how everything worked and allowed me to inspect to ensure it was up to what I expected before taking it away.
Back then it was great cause the Dollar was close to par...and would of done the same thing........Not now though.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM

Buy used....or I mean barely used...

Got a 2014 30FT Coachmen last year for 22,000 and just like new....dealer price...32,000....

Shop around and don't impulse buy and you will find a great deal right now.