Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-30-2020, 08:47 PM

Default Rem 700, custom 20-22" barrel contour?

I've been waiting to put a rifle together for a long time. Ive always had a hard time justifying the cost when a tikka will do what I need for 1/4 the price, and as Im typing this Im cringing again!

I know I wont regret the purchase as it will be a lifetime investment. I want my kids to remember that this is dads gun and its the same one for the rest of my life at deer and moose camp every year. Something with some future sentimental value hopefully.

The action is a short action based on the rem700 and is approx 26-28 oz.

The stock is an ag privateer at 24oz

It will have a hawkins bdl and a trigger tech trigger.

Scope could range from 12-20oz which is a larger weight range.

What barrel would you choose for balance?

Options for barrels are 20-22" max in length and remington sporter -.660 muzzle , remington magnum sporter, heavier at the breach but finishing at the same .660 or a benchmark no 5 which is 0.700 but I feel this contour is too heavy.

I currently shoot a browing abolt medallion in 25-06 and a stainless stalker in .30-06 with 22" barrels that finish at .550 or .560 I believe. I really like the handling of both these rifles but feel a little more barrel weight would be good and the Remington sporter contours have this.

Personally I'm leaning towards a basic 21" rem sporter contour based off a barrett fieldcraft which will be the most similar factory offering to what Im wanting to put together.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2020, 09:24 PM

Depends what you want the gun for. I have 2 custom hunting rifles based off a rem 700 action one is a .30-06 with a shilen#4 and the other a 6.5x55 with a 23” benchmark #5. I don’t mind the weight of either as I shoot them all year round but if it’s purely a hunting rifle a #3 taper at 22” balances nice in a rem 700 SA.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:41 PM

I'm having a 280AI built as we speak. I chose a #2 contour barrel for this one.
I also have a custom 338-06 that I put a #3 on.
Is it being carried a lot or is it more of an off-the-bench target rifle? Might help with the decision.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:48 AM

Yes, a carry field gun.

With a remington sporter contour, its weighing in a just over 6.5lbs I believe, maybe 6.75 max.

I think this will provide the slightly forward balance and weight that Im looking for as the remington sporter contour is already a heavier profile compare to the browning abolt which I beleive is similar to a Winchester featherlite and both rifles are similiar in weight.

A remington sps 20" weighs in at 7lbs apparently, so a slighty lighter rifle with the same barrel means a slightly heavier front end.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:38 AM

On any of my hunting rifles I’ve had over the years I’ve never said “I wish this was heavier.” I had said I “wish it was lighter “.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:48 AM

I run the lilja barrels with no3 contour on my 700 builds the barrels are more accurate than the tikka factory and your gunsmith can cut the blank to what ever size you choose.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Yes, a carry field gun.

With a remington sporter contour, its weighing in a just over 6.5lbs I believe, maybe 6.75 max.

I think this will provide the slightly forward balance and weight that Im looking for as the remington sporter contour is already a heavier profile compare to the browning abolt which I beleive is similar to a Winchester featherlite and both rifles are similiar in weight.

A remington sps 20" weighs in at 7lbs apparently, so a slighty lighter rifle with the same barrel means a slightly heavier front end.
Other than your barrel your components are similar in weight to a NULA 24, the best balanced hunting rifle I have ever carried or pointed. NULA action is obviously 24 oz but a couple ounces more action weight won't affect balance point. NULA stock is 23 oz with good recoil pad. My 280 Rem rifle has a 24" barrel in #2 contour and weighs 5 lb 9 oz with Talleys. I suggest you handle one if you have not. Barrett Fieldcraft is pretty similar.

As fps has stated, no one ever wished for more weight in the field. You will have to learn a bit of technique if you want to shoot small groups off a bench, however.

Good luck with your build.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:40 AM

Benchmark now offers their #5 in a carbon fiber option.

I have three incoming to test them out.

#5 in steel would be too heavy for what you're attempting to build IMO.

Id suspect you're listing these options as they are what AG has on their site as far as inlets. You should eliminate the #5 for sure if you're looking at building a light(er) weight unless you go carbon to shave a few ounces (and it's really not as many as you'd think).
Old 11-01-2020, 08:49 AM

Yes after comparing the barrel contours and weights on factory rifles to ag's barrel inlets I think the Remington sporter is a good contour considering it has a short breech and finishes at .660

I did look at benchmark 5 and in steel itll be too heavy. Retail pricing for benchmark new carbon 5 barrel was 750 usd so I feel thats double what a steel barrel will cost probably.

I may get a price on 1 to compare before finializing.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk