Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2023, 07:23 PM

Default Load Development - 223 Remington using 55 gr. Vmax bullets and Ram Shot X-terminator powder

Hello everybody…

I’ve just loaded and shot some load development rounds for my 223 Remington using 55 gr. Vmax bullets and Ram Shot X-terminator powder with interesting results.

The load that Quick-Load predicted to be the best load actually got the best group size of 0.29 inches at 100 years but at the same time got near worst ES/SD values at 83 and 43 respectively.

The group that had the best ES/SD values at 18 and 10 had the worst group size at 0.88 inches at 100 yards.

All groups were shot 0.008 off the lands (as a starting point)

Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this load development quandary? Where should I take it from here?

Best regards

Mike
Old 12-28-2023, 07:42 PM

Best group wins every time, people get to hung up on SD/ES they are just numbers, if the group is tiny little bug holes stop searching you found the best load.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:18 AM

Read the above post, then read it again.
If it were me, I would take those two loads and shoot them at 200 and 300 or whatever you figure your nax distance is.
I am not sure what you group shot number was, but when I am working up a load on my .233's. As long as my groups stay tight I am happy. I concentrate more on OAL than velocity to get my loads where I want them.
I shoot three different match .223's with 1:9, 1:8, and 1:7 twists out ro 1,000 yards.
Cat
Old 12-30-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Best group wins every time, people get to hung up on SD/ES they are just numbers, if the group is tiny little bug holes stop searching you found the best load.
That is my procedure as well, shoot groups as far as you will ever shoot, and go with the smallest groups at that distance. I have actually seen people at the range shooting over a chronograph, without even putting up a target because all that they cared about was ES/SD, that makes no sense to me.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:30 AM

If you want max velocity however, and your .88 group was that, you will be okay as long as you don't think you need .50 for a varmint rifle.

.88 is still pretty tight at 300 or 400 yards and I have seen rifles tgat group far worse regularly kill coyotes at that distance .
Cat
Old 12-30-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Read the above post, then read it again.
If it were me, I would take those two loads and shoot them at 200 and 300 or whatever you figure your nax distance is.
I am not sure what you group shot number was, but when I am working up a load on my .233's. As long as my groups stay tight I am happy. I concentrate more on OAL than velocity to get my loads where I want them.
I shoot three different match .223's with 1:9, 1:8, and 1:7 twists out ro 1,000 yards.
Cat

What are the diff .224 projectiles you are using for the various ranges your shooting in all those diff barrel twists if you don’t mind sharing?
Old 12-30-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarie_boy1 View Post
What are the diff .224 projectiles you are using for the various ranges your shooting in all those diff barrel twists if you don’t mind sharing?
In the 1:9 Musgrave I mostly shoot 69 grain Match Kingsmand Hornadys , but don't take it out much out past 600 ) although I have ) because I have the the other two.
In my 1:8 Sportco I use 75 and 80 grain Berger Match bullets, and in my 1:7 RPA I use 80 and 80.5 Bergers, and have shot the 88 grain Hornady bullets as well.
I am waiting on a Remnigton 600 with a 1:6.5 twist a friend has told me he is going to send me to try out, and I will be shooting 95 grain Bergers out of that.

I have shot a pile of 55's out of the Musgrave as well, and it is a very accurate rifle . The barrel is a Krieger.
Cat