Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2018, 06:55 AM

Question ATV Riser in F150?

I was wondering if anyone with a short box F150 with the 5’6” box has been able to fit an at. In and close the tailgate with the help of a set of Atv risers? Trying to figure it out...and I know that a long box would work but didn’t want one.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:06 AM

No you can’t close the tailgate with one in the back sitting level.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=riser
Old 07-25-2018, 07:38 AM

I have been running around for years with my tail gate down and the quad loaded. Funny thing is the tail gate does not seem to get damaged on gravel roads.
But now that the police in Calgary are giving tickets for bike racks blocking license plates I wonder if someone might say he can't read your license plate with the tail gate down. I guess he could always read the quads plate.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:26 AM

I have been thinking a lot about this issue after loading a quad in a rainstorm where everything was covered in mud and things were very slippery. I was very nervous driving up on the back of a Dodge 3/4 ton. The safest option is probably a trailer. I did see a guy who had a double snowmobile setup on the back of his truck and he used his winch to load his quads to that height. You would have to have an anchor point for your winch. If anyone else has some safe options for loading myself and others would be interested.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I have been thinking a lot about this issue after loading a quad in a rainstorm where everything was covered in mud and things were very slippery. I was very nervous driving up on the back of a Dodge 3/4 ton. The safest option is probably a trailer. I did see a guy who had a double snowmobile setup on the back of his truck and he used his winch to load his quads to that height. You would have to have an anchor point for your winch. If anyone else has some safe options for loading myself and others would be interested.
I got one. Post pics in a min.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:23 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i1z6inrl4...onRSdN2Ta?dl=0

Pretty simple. Chain run across my tie down hooks and I run a winch from the chain and winch myself up. Loading a quad in a lifted one ton scares the crap outta me every time. Just make sure you keep a rag or something in between the winch cable and the tailgate to keep your truck shiny and your synthetic winch rope unfrayed.

And in case anyone asks, the wood blocks are there so I don't dent the box when "inching" my quad forward. Did it with the last two trucks (before I was winching in) so I built this so my tires bounce off the blocks instead of my fairlead denting the box.

I also threw a picture in there of what a Renegade 800 with 28" tires on it looks like when you use a rathcet strap to keep the tailgate closed in my last truck. Might give the op an idea of whether he needs risers. I didn't while pulling a trailer doing that.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i1z6inrl4...onRSdN2Ta?dl=0

Pretty simple. Chain run across my tie down hooks and I run a winch from the chain and winch myself up. Loading a quad in a lifted one ton scares the crap outta me every time. Just make sure you keep a rag or something in between the winch cable and the tailgate to keep your truck shiny and your synthetic winch rope unfrayed.

And in case anyone asks, the wood blocks are there so I don't dent the box when "inching" my quad forward. Did it with the last two trucks (before I was winching in) so I built this so my tires bounce off the blocks instead of my fairlead denting the box.

I also threw a picture in there of what a Renegade 800 with 28" tires on it looks like when you use a rathcet strap to keep the tailgate closed in my last truck. Might give the op an idea of whether he needs risers. I didn't while pulling a trailer doing that.
thanks for the pictures good ideas there
Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Im going through something similar. I’m looking at building a riser to get my king quad with a front bush bar into the back of my f150 with the tailgate closed (6.5 ft bed). Does anyone have an idea approximately how tall a riser a guy would need?