Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 AM

Default Salting your minnow

What do you guys/gals think of salting mnnows? I have heard that if you cover your thawed minnows in salt and leave overnight they will become tougher and last on your hook longer. Has anyone tried this? I wonder if this affects the scent at all and will turn fish off?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 AM

When buying frozen minnows I typically buy salted. Considering that salt is in alot of the sented rubber baits I don't think it is a problem either way.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM

i have also heard of this and tried it with the bigger grain kosher salt on the regular minnows i buy and catch. it does help the minnow stay on longer and stiffer.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Depends on the situation. If I am trolling Herring or Anchovy for Lakers I do as it does strengthen the bait up a lot. We used to do this in the ocean all the time. If it is a less vigorous approach, (Walleye fishing) I don't because they are mouthing the bait and I believe (with no proof) that it may decrease the bite. Maybe I will have to try two similar set ups and see which has the better hit ratio.

It will definitely make the bait last way longer though!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Salting your minnow? Sounds like slang for something inappropriate for this board.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM

The coast is where I usually salt Anchovies or Herring for Salmon too, as mentioned in a previous reply. I did this last year for the anchovies I use for pike. I bought a few packs and put them in a rubber maid container with the coarse salt. I didn't get out much and the bait stayed firm right through the season. The container stayed in my garage when not in use. They never re-froze, so always ready to use. I did find however, that it did take away from the stink that smelts or anchovies get when they un-thaw. I could handle the anchovies at the end of the season and the regular stench was not left on my fingers. I would say yes salt does affect the smell of the bait after a while, so I would switch them up regularly as a lot of the fish will use that smell to find the bait. As for keeping the minnows or anchovies firm.........salt does a great job of that.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 PM

We use salted minnows on the SSR all the time.Definitely much stronger and perform as good or better than regular minnows.They also last much longer when you run out of ice in the cooler,which is probably the main reason I use them.
I don't buy the salted ones but make my own.Just thaw the minnows and layer in salt....I use pickling salt but any coarse grain salt will do.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 PM

well till a few years ago i have never used salted minnows till the sturgeon trip with terry chow. all i brought was regular tubs of shiners and got decent hits. terry brought tubs of salted shiners and mine fell apart after a day of sitting in the sun and terrys salted minnows sat in the sun for like a day and a half and still stayed on the hooks very well and using his salted minnows out fished my regular ones. so since then i bring both and find the salted do seem to work better in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 PM

Just salted my first batch of minnows last week after finally getting sick of dealing with all the problems that come with frozen ones. I used the directions here:

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/ti...ed_minnows.htm

I made three tubs (about 150 minnows) in three different sizes and they turned out great. They are much easier to deal with and stay on the hook much better. I caught walleye, pike, and burbot with them so they seem to perform well too.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 PM

When we where in B.C. on guided fishing trips, all the guids would salt their Bait (herring and smelts). they simply lie a layer of salt on a flat tub, then put ur bait on, and add more of the coarse salt on the top, If you want really stiff bait some said to lay a Moist towel over top. Hope this helps goodluck.
bh1
Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Borax works as well for preservation. Salt adds scent of course.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM

It's a fact. Fishing on the coast salted bait in a tub in the shade at +30C would keep bait firm all day and into the next day. Think the salt covers up some of the good stink for us but by the time you get em in the water the initial layer of salt wears off and fish will bite no matter what if they can see it.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 PM

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html
originally posted by Walleyes, doing some smelts right now for Gull

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich