Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 AM

Default Which reel is best

I am looking at purchasing a new reel. I am new to walleye fishing and wonder what are the advantage/disadvantage or bait cashing reel vs a open face reel.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 AM

Depends on the application.... cranking? spinner rigging with a bottom bouncer?? drop shotting? jigging? Alot can be said about rod action and length in these applications as well
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Ya for sure...so many variables. I'm an open face fisher for sure but I do use a bait caster for trolling. Easier to adjust depth and to line count.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM

There are a ton of variables, but I think it boils down to simplicity and the best "all around" application, to my mind, that's a spinning (open face) reel.

Unless you're going to be mostly trolling or casting big lures, go with a spinning setup. They're lightweight, balance well, have nice perks like quickly interchangeable spools, and most of all, they're simple and reliable. If you're you're new to the game, the learning curve will be a lot less steep with a spinning rig and you can buy better quality for the same price.

It is personal preference though, and I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer, it comes down to what each person is most comfortable with.

Regardless of which you choose, don't buy a great big one. Go with the smallest size or the next size up for an all around reel that will cast nicely as well. For AB fishing you just don't need a big reel. The small ones have plenty of drag power and hold more than enough line, especially when using a braid or superline. The advantages of light weight and smaller size are far more important.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 AM

I have to agree with freeones. smaller light rods reels, and line are the way to go.
my biggest choice is rear or front drag open face reels, i hve found that rear drag reels are less exspensive thirefore not built as well and normaly hve fewer ball bearings, i like lots of bearing in my reels thire just so much smoother and easeir to cast light lures with light line.
shimanno or pflueger are the best reels in my opionion
Old 03-17-2011, 11:16 AM

x2 to pflueger....the presidents are on sale right now at bps for $49 if you have a reel to trade in.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM

it doesnt matter what you buy if you are gonna get a cheap reel. spend the 200 bucks and get a good reel either way you go. you cant fake quality no matter how cool it looks. the shimano CI4 looks and feels great, sustains have proven themselves year after year and you cant go wrong with a pt. just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 AM

Not everyone can afford $200 reels. Plus you can spend $70 (or $50 on sale) on a pfluegar which is very high quality for the price you pay. just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Both types of reels have their place. For me and the fishing I do, open face reels are just fine - plus I'm too lazy to 'learn' to use a baitcaster

$200 reels are great if you can afford them, but for a lot of us that's just not an option. If going the spinning route, something in the $60-70 price range, like mustang suggested will get you along just fine, and it won't be a POS.

Personally I like Shimano reels, but that's just me. I do have one Pflueger (Trion GX7 I think) that I picked up on sale last year, but I'm not a big fan of it - but at the same time a couple friends have used that reel from time to time and really like it, so maybe it's just me? To be fair, I'm pretty sure that it was one of their 'entry level' reels, and I think it's since been discontinued. I've heard good things about the Presidents too, but I haven't had the chance to use one yet.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM

all i was trying to say is that he should get the best reel that he can afford. if thats 70 bucks then great, but if he can afford it he shouldnt hesitate to spend the money. you cant compare a 70 dollar flugger to a sustain or pt.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
all i was trying to say is that he should get the best reel that he can afford. if thats 70 bucks then great, but if he can afford it he shouldnt hesitate to spend the money. you cant compare a 70 dollar flugger to a sustain or pt.
Yes agree 100%.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 PM

level winds dont twist line when fighting a fish. level winds typically are more difficult to cast light weight lures.
Spinning reels in similar capacity are faster but twists line when fought against the drag and the lighter the line the worst it is. Back reeling is a technique that should be learned.
Imo a spinning reel is more versitle weapon if your limited in the variety you can purchase.

for spinning reels my choices are...any shimano above and including the stradic c14 and the quantum pt energy. A little bird told me the 2012 pt is going to turn some heads.

For baitcasters you cant go wrong with any of the Shimano line-up. Unlike a spinning reel which almost any reel will conform to the users hands, I recomeend you personally try baitcasters for fit before purchasing. There position on top of the rod makes it more critical in the balancing act that they fit your hand size. Also the trigger on the level wind rods add another issue that must be considered for proper individual fit. Dont be afraid to mix and match brand names to get the right fit with baitcasters. Learning to use a baitcaster is more difficult and a poor fitting outfit only makes the learning curve more difficult.
or you can fish it like a spinning reel and reel backwards....i giggle when i see that...those guys are the best multi taskers, no way i could reel backwards.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarcreek View Post
I am looking at purchasing a new reel. I am new to walleye fishing and wonder what are the advantage/disadvantage or bait cashing reel vs a open face reel.
It depends what you want in a reel and application in which you wanna use it .

Bait casters are great , take some time getting use to . I especially like these for fishing for heavy species of fish . Also use it for casting , but great for trolling . I like them for pike , trolling for walleye and bull / lake trout .

Spin cast reels - Very simple to use flip open the bale and cast your hook out there . Good for jigging and casting , also like them for casting if im targeting walleye and such.

Id say pick up one of each . You can get a half decent entry baitcaster set up for a 100 bucks . And for a spin cast rod and reel you can pick up a fairly decent rod and reel for 50 to 75 bucks or of course alot more . Just depends how much you want to spend and how you intend to use it . You can never have to many rods and reels .

But if you do get a baitcaster do yourself a favor and done spool it with Mono , do braided then you can make a Mono or fluorocarbon leader or whatever you wanna use . Just my personal preference and from experience Mono and baitcasters = alot of birds nests .
Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
But if you do get a baitcaster do yourself a favor and done spool it with Mono , do braided then you can make a Mono or fluorocarbon leader or whatever you wanna use . Just my personal preference and from experience Mono and baitcasters = alot of birds nests .
How do the baitcasters do with fluoro when casting? I've only used my casting reels while ice fishing, and I've got fluoro on them . . . I have yet to actually learn to cast them.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
How do the baitcasters do with fluoro when casting? I've only used my casting reels while ice fishing, and I've got fluoro on them . . . I have yet to actually learn to cast them.
Its a giant birds nest , but not to bad if you just use mostly all braided line and a good chunk of fluorocarbon , seems to really cut down on bird nests , which are fairly easy to remove once you know how to remove them .

First baitcaster I bought I used Fluorocarbon full spool and it was nothing but bird nest after bird nest even once I had the reel set up seemed to be a pain in the rump .

I tend to chuck some pretty beefy baits , so I like the idea of have 30 lb or better braided line on them and if I decide I want to use my baitcaster for walleye or trout or something I can , just tie in a piece of 5 or 6 lb fluorocarbon and im good to go .

Hope that helps .

If you need a lesson or two ive been known to teach a folk or three ,
Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
If you need a lesson or two ive been known to teach a folk or three ,
You are exactly the gentleman I've got in mind.

I was going to ask you at Medicine Lake last summer . . . but that just wasn't our weekend (with the trailer issue, and then having to leave early).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
The learning curve is different fo everyone like almost anything in life. That being said flouro will make it more difficult its stiffness will exagerate the want to backlash.

Follow the learning steps.
Put on a 1/2 oz. casting plug
with plug at the rod tip, hit the release button. What you want is the plug to slowly fall. Adjust your backlash control to achieve this.
Cast.
As you get a feel for it back of the magnets.
After some practice you can remove the back lash control
Use a cheap line to learn in your back yard.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:37 PM

The best reel is the one that catches the biggest and most fish... no? Well it's true...
Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
The best reel is the one that catches the biggest and most fish... no? Well it's true...
My Mitchell 300A and my early 70's Pfluger, new reels are to smooth.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
My Mitchell 300A and my early 70's Pfluger, new reels are to smooth.
I hear you. The best ones are the ones that are still around after that length of time and cannot be replaced. I have a big gold late 70's Diawa salt water spinning reel that I just manufactured a new handle for. It even has two ballbearings. Was probably $200 at the time. Now bought a $300 Penn that's pretty comparable.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:01 PM

If you choose an open face reel, the Pfluger president reels are awesome IMO. My Pfluger reel has been used frequently and has reeled in countless walleye to reeling in pike up to 15lbs.

The reel has a 10 ball bearing system which allows it to operate so smoothly and durably. These Plugers are also under $100.00.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say that the reel is also awesome at reeling in rocks and sunken branches. Lmao

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 03-17-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling lol
Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Cougarcreek,

Don't get hung up on the number of ball bearings a reel has, it's a marketing gimmick for the most part - "more is better". A reel could have 25 bearings and still be far worse than a reel with 2 bearings, it's all about the quality of the components, not the quantity.

This is NOT meant as a shot at the Pfluegers, just a general thing that people should be aware of.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
Cougarcreek,

Don't get hung up on the number of ball bearings a reel has, it's a marketing gimmick for the most part - "more is better". A reel could have 25 bearings and still be far worse than a reel with 2 bearings, it's all about the quality of the components, not the quantity.

This is NOT meant as a shot at the Pfluegers, just a general thing that people should be aware of.
Good call. I've got a little Quantum reel with 10 bearings, and it's one of the biggest piece of crap reels I've ever owned.

Go down to whatever fishing shop you like and play with their display models until you find one that you think feels good TO YOU. That's what really matters

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Good call. I've got a little Quantum reel with 10 bearings, and it's one of the biggest piece of crap reels I've ever owned.

Go down to whatever fishing shop you like and play with their display models until you find one that you think feels good TO YOU. That's what really matters
I agree that quantums are garbage. All of the quantum reels my dad and I have owned were hunks of crap. My dad even owned a quantum mooching rod that broke prematuruly after light use.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 03-18-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Spelling lol
Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
I agree that quantums are garbage. All of the quantum reels my dad and I have owned were hunks of crap. My dad even owned a quantum mooching rod that broke prematuruly after light use.
I like my quantum and have never had a problem with it. I find there bottom line reels are garbage. but i like mine
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
If you buy low end anything they are gonna suck. Quantum makes some great products. The pt is one of the nicest reels on the market.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

I have the catalyst and I love it. So much infact I picked up the catalyst baitcaster version as well for my bouncer set up.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
i also own several quantum spinning reels, both in ultra light and medium size. have had them for many years and still use most regularly. they are not top end but were not $20 reels either. bold and unfair statement to say they're junk. i have had the same luck with shimano, the rest of my arsenal is from them.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i also own several quantum spinning reels, both in ultra light and medium size. have had them for many years and still use most regularly. they are not top end but were not $20 reels either. bold and unfair statement to say they're junk. i have had the same luck with shimano, the rest of my arsenal is from them.
I admit that was dumb of me to generalize that all quantums were garbage. The one quantum that broke to the point it was useless was a $30.00 one.

The other one I have had for about 9 years now was a salmon reel for $50.00 and it isn't perfect but it still does the job. The only thing that is wrong with it, is that the bail won't automatically close in cold weather and the joinig handle between the reel and rod mount can be a bit on the flimsy side. Besides that, the reel operates very smoothly and still works strong after heavy use.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 PM

i guess i like crap...cuz i really like all of my pt1A energy reels. In fact i think they are almost as smooth as my sustains.

I like trashy women too...