Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM

Default towing with an Ecoboost

Anybody out there got an Ecoboost F150 and used it for towing. I will be signing the papers to take mine in a couple days, just hoping to find out real world towing numbers with it. Can't imagine it will change my mind either way, but thought it would be some nice info to have incase my numbers are way off. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:10 PM

Default rv.net

Head over to rv.net forums. Go into the towing section and do a search. There are several of the guys there with Ecoboost's and there real world towing reports.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM

What do you mean by towing numbers? Tow ratings? if that's the case, what exactly did you buy? Every option, and accessory affects your tow ratings.

Or do you mean mileage?

If your looking for the weight of trailer you can tow, there's lots of factors, but for a travel trailer your looking about 7000lbs trailer weight. Payload (RAWR) is the issue with all 1/2 tons.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 PM

I was just looking for the fuel numbers, it can tow 11,400 lbs which is way more then my quad and trailer. Power isn't the issue, i am just curious about mileage.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 PM

You might want to check your weights. If you're carrying a quad in the back and a Travel trailer, you are WAY over your legal weights.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Default ecco boost

Send a msg to nicemustang he has had his for a few months now, also search fishing fourm he talked a bit about it on there..
Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 PM

Trailer isn't a big one. Its only 5500lbs fully loaded. well under the 11400 im allowed to tow with the truck. The quad is only around 650 lbs too so i think i should be pretty safe.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 AM

On the contrary... 5500 * 13% =715 lbs tongue weight + 650 lbs quad= 1265 lbs w/o adding any passengers in the truck. You are right at (if not over) your truck's legal payload capacity and rear GAWR. You best bet (if you care or not) is to go and weigh the truck with a full tank of gas, loaded ready for camping + quad, and compare that number to the GVWR on the door jam. Or you can do like everyone else and hope you don't get stopped (or travel in BC). Looking at ford's website, you should be ok, but each truck weighs differently depending on options.

The problem with 1/2 tons is not the "towing capacity", but the payload rating & Rear axle GAWR. BTW, unless you bought a base model 2wd ecoboost, the max tow rating (according to ford's website) is 9300lbs for an ecoboost.

I'm not trying to be a *****, just trying to give you the facts. ALOT of people are misled by ads & salepeople.

BTW... I have been stopped by RCMP in BC checking trucks/travel trailers for any infraction (including overweight).
Old 06-07-2011, 08:09 AM

id say a good 80% of RV'ers in alberta are overweight for their tow rigs.....how many Dodge Dakotas do you see with 5th wheels behind them on a long weekend LOL

scary stuff.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 AM

I completely agree, Scares the **** out of me (which is why I'm trying to inform as many people as I can).
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM

*cough cough* check your owners guide. With Max Trailer Tow its 11,300 Towing.

It had 90% of its torque at 1,800 RPM while the big block 6.2 L gas job has the same level of torque (90%) at 4500rpm. Which is why its so superior for towing. Took one out last night... AMAZING for offroad power

Pics of your new ride?? Please say its a FX4 with a locking diff
Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 AM

I can't believe I'm writing this, but Ford sure has turned things around. Time will tell on how well the turbos fair in the long run. I tend to stay away from small motors with turbo chargers, but this one seems to have promise.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Whoops.. just checked another source (trailerlife), looks like ford's website is wrong.

At any rate, payload is still the issue.

Not denying the engine, it's the best option out there right now for 1/2 tons.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Not denying the engine, it's the best option out there right now for 1/2 tons.
Took one out for a spin the other night, and I was impressed.

I would be torn between that motor and the 5.0 litre.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
I can't believe I'm writing this, but Ford sure has turned things around. Time will tell on how well the turbos fair in the long run. I tend to stay away from small motors with turbo chargers, but this one seems to have promise.
a home builder friend changes trucks before they need tires, went diesel for long time then went ford harley edition gas pot and then bought a tundra and actually put a second set of tires on the tundra he liked so much, then just got another tundra and he said he looked at the ford eco but went back to the tundra so i will have to bug him and find out why he didn't go ecoboost?

having said that, i sure would be looking hard at the ecoboost myself if i was shopping right now, after looking at that torque curve it would be hard to buy anything without a turbo from now on....i sure hope we see more turbos down the road, the ford eco looks to be top pic of 1/2 tons right now to me and i read tons on truck stuff out of interest, never stop

remember when dodge put the cummins in back in 88 in 3/4 and 1 tons? truck guys thought they had died and gone to heaven 400 to 410 ft/lbs torque with 160 to 170 hp depending on stick or auto....

the eco gives 90% of its 420 ft/lbs starting at 1700 rpm...man that would be nice, folks in law got the lincoln car with it, trip down to san fran or pheonix etc. i think he said it only downshifted once while on cruise and got good mileage too, i think if he took easy around 30 but he usually pushes 80 and likes to pass so can't remember what he said maybe 24-25 when he did that? i will try to find this post and correct next time i ask him, but he loves it after driving lots of turbo diesel etc. in europe he has been waiting for that sort of thing to come here, good on gas and torque....too bad its a gas pot but still better looking for 1/2 ton truck work than anything else out there imo

sure is exciting times in the 1/2 ton world now that the ecoboost is here

bring on more turbo's gas or diesel...its the turbos that give the crazy torque curves that start at minimal rpms!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM

im allowed 1890 lbs payload. So with me, the wife, the dog and the quad with the trailer on the back i should be okay (wife is only 110, dog is 70 and i weigh 170 for a combined 350). It would be close, but most of the stuff would be in the trailer anyways. I don't fill it with water till i get to where i'm going so it helps that i can put more stuff in it. PLUS i live in northern alberta where DOT seem to ignore everyone except service trucks (i drive one). I honestly can't see it being a problem. I will be heading to BC with the quad in it probably and the trailer but still, not to worried. Also with the Equalizer hitch i feel i should be okay. I'll post pics up once i get it. And sorry man, its not an fx4 with a locking diff, its my holiday truck, my bronco on 39's is for extreme offroading.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM

I took one out for a spin last week, LOTS of power and I really like Fords interior. If I didn't need the payload of a 1-ton I would jump to an eco-boost in a heartbeat.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm all about a Good V8, unfortunately since the 302, 351 and 460 Ford really hasn't had a great V8. In the last 20 years IMO. I'm definately down with the amount of testing Ford has done with this ecoboost. Seems like they have done more of it on this engine than they have on their past engines. With the price of fuel I definately don't mind the extra MPGS the V6 offers.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
I took one out for a spin last week, LOTS of power and I really like Fords interior. If I didn't need the payload of a 1-ton I would jump to an eco-boost in a heartbeat.
Only a matter of time till they either throw it in the f250 or Ecoboost the new 5L for super duty. I've heard it's in the works.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
Only a matter of time till they either throw it in the f250 or Ecoboost the new 5L for super duty. I've heard it's in the works.
Not to mention chev and dodge will follow suit I'm sure.