Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 12:02 PM

Default Premium Gas & Ethanol

I have been buying premium gas to avoid ethanol in my small engines and in my boat. After researching this am it appears that all gas including premium can and most likely has up tp 10% ethanol in it. Even on the Shell website it looks like they caved in. Would appreciate any thoughts on how AO members avoid ethanol. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:20 PM

https://afdpetroleum.com/fuel/
Old 03-25-2021, 12:28 PM

Is the Shell thing new? Still shows no ethanol on their website... that’s what I’ve been using

https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists...-gasoline.html
Old 03-25-2021, 12:29 PM

Not all premium contains ethanol, it depends which refinery the fuel comes from, not the brand name on the pump. As of very recently , former coworkers that now work at the shell refinery, tell me that our local Shell refinery still produces non ethanol premium.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof View Post
Is the Shell thing new? Still shows no ethanol on their website... that’s what I’ve been using

https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists...-gasoline.html

Correct. Unless they are lying, which I highly doubt, it clearly says 0% Ethanol in ALL stations across Canada for the premium fuel. Depending on where you buy, many Co-op, Mobil and Esso have no ethanol in their premium, the Costco in St Albert had no ethanol in their premium last time I checked but haven't looked closely at the pump lately.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:01 PM

BC's marked boat gas has no ethanol, has higher octane, and is a couple of cents less.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:11 PM

Shell premium V power is what I use in all small engines supposed to have no ethanol, sure hope that is still the case, I'll have to check the pump when I fill my jerry can in the next little while, time to put the snow blower away but want fresh gas in it for summer storage with a bit of sea foam.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:15 PM

I have never used premium in my small engines or outboards. I just use whatever mid-grade is available wherever I am. In the fall I put in a dash of injector cleaner and marine Stabil. I haven't had one issue with starting, carbs or fuel lines related to the fuel in more than 20 years.
I am starting to think all this worry is a bunch of horsefeathers.
Run the engines once in a while and use fresh fuel. Seems to work.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:16 PM

Always get Shell Premium for my 2 strokes. I read it takes 8 litres or so to clear the gas station fuel hose so I always pump some premium into my truck, then fill the jerry's.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:16 PM

Do they not label pumps ethanol free if they are? Simple solution.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Always get Shell Premium for my 2 strokes. I read it takes 8 litres or so to clear the gas station fuel hose so I always pump some premium into my truck, then fill the jerry's.
That's true if the pump nozzle isn't dedicated to the Premium (some pumps have nozzles that only are for Premium).

When I run into a pump where the selector indicates any one of three fuel grades, I do the same, filling my truck up with 20 bucks or so then filling my gas cans.

When I fill my boat, (150hp Honda) I don't bother, I can fill in 120 liters in that giant boat gas tank so a few liters of mixed lower grade gas isn;t a concern.

But, yes, for small engines like the trimmer, lawnmower, mix for the chainsaws, I agree, try and keep it pure premium with no ethanol.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:14 PM

Regular gas only has 5% ethanol until mid April then it goes to 10% until October.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 PM

I’ve been buying the premixed gas from Stihl.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:48 PM

Here is a site that shows where the ethanol free fuels are.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB
Old 03-25-2021, 04:58 PM

The Flying J at Barlow and 114 ave SE in Calgary has a sticker on it (last time I was there) saying to all grades may contain up to 10% ethanol. As my car doesn't get as good of milage with ethanol in the fuel, I went to the Shell on 52nd south of the ring road.

I always fill my car with fuel before filling gas for my power equipment. I've always added stabilizer and seafoam to the gas right away. If gas is to be mixed, I mix it as I empty the previous gallon. I've used up to 2 years old gas in my power equipment treated that way, and never had a problem.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:39 PM

Default I try to use methanol free as much as possible

My Merc manual

GASOLINES CONTAINING ALCOHOL
If the gasoline in your area contains either methanol (methyl alcohol) or ethanol
(ethyl alcohol), you should be aware of certain adverse effects that can occur.
These adverse effects are more severe with methanol. Increasing the
percentage of alcohol in the fuel can also worsen these adverse effects.
Some of these adverse effects are caused because the alcohol in the gasoline
can absorb moisture from the air, resulting in a separation of the water/alcohol
from the gasoline in the fuel tank.
The fuel system components on your Mercury Marine engine will withstand up
to 10% alcohol content in the gasoline.
We do not know what percentage your
boat's fuel system will withstand. Contact your boat manufacturer for specific
recommendations on the boat's fuel system components (fuel tanks, fuel lines,
and fittings). Be aware that gasolines containing alcohol may cause increased:
• Corrosion of metal parts
• Deterioration of rubber or plastic parts
• Fuel permeation through rubber fuel lines
• Starting and operating difficulties

Because of possible adverse effects of alcohol in gasoline, it is recommended
that only alcohol‑free gasoline be used where possible. If only fuel containing
alcohol is available, or if the presence of alcohol is unknown, increased
inspection frequency for leaks and abnormalities is required.
IMPORTANT: When operating a Mercury Marine engine on gasoline containing
alcohol, storage of gasoline in the fuel tank for long periods should be avoided.
Long periods of storage, common to boats, create unique problems. In cars,
alcohol‑blend fuels normally are consumed before they can absorb enough
moisture to cause trouble, but boats often sit idle long enough for phase
separation to take place. In addition, internal corrosion may take place during
storage if alcohol has washed protective oil films from internal components.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:08 AM

You need a "graduated" container or buy a $10 dollar Ethanol tester.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...oholTester.php

It's pretty simple.

Add water to the container.

Fill container with your fuel.

Agitate and let settle for a minute or 2.

It will give you a percentage of Ethanol in your fuel.

Premium Fuels I have found to be Ethanol free.

Shell Premium
Esso Premium
Coop Premium
Domo Premium.

All PetroCanada fuels should be avoided....as they have had Ethanol in premium for years.

I test all fuel sources periodically....as well I carry one of those testers in my sled.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:52 AM

I have never bought over priced premium fuel since I sold my 1967 Camero with 327 high compression engine 50 years ago.. Only motor I ever needed premium fuel to run. Every quad, truck, car, chain saw, weed waker, tractor runs beautiful on low cost regular fuel with high octane ethanol. By the way I am a retired petroleum chemist.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:04 AM

Easy home test

https://youtu.be/uLToBqG_F6M
Old 03-26-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I have never bought over priced premium fuel since I sold my 1967 Camero with 327 high compression engine 50 years ago.. Only motor I ever needed premium fuel to run. Every quad, truck, car, chain saw, weed waker, tractor runs beautiful on low cost regular fuel with high octane ethanol. By the way I am a retired petroleum chemist.
While my motorcycle will run with regular, because the knock sensor retards the timing, it doesn't run as well, and burns more fuel, more than offsetting the cost difference. My snowmobile is the same, it has two settings, one with a timing curve for regular ethanol, and another for premium non ethanol, and you can certainly feel the difference, and if you try to run the non ethanol setting , you get detonation, and the computer let's you know.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
Cool! Thanks for the link.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Have ran across a couple of small engines that have had fuel issues. Some of them have turned green and left a residue, others have gelled up. Pretty much destroyed one carb with the green.

Regular fuel being used, unsure of what brand but caused issues.

Any ideas as to why this would happen from regular fuel. I haven't seen it from premium that had no ethanol.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Have ran across a couple of small engines that have had fuel issues. Some of them have turned green and left a residue, others have gelled up. Pretty much destroyed one carb with the green.

Any ideas as to why this would happen from regular fuel. I haven't seen it from premium that had no ethanol.
If the regular fuel contains ethanol there will be phase separation if there is any moisture present. The ethanol and water mixture will drop to the bottom and the fuel will sit on top. I would think that might be what happened.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post

There's a reaction between the water logged ethanol and the aluminum. The carbs I've pulled apart are full of greenish and white powder. They're pretty nearly impossible to clean. You can use cleaning vinegar and and ultrasonic cleaner and sometimes things work. Other times fuel needles won't seat, and there's little you can do about it.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:53 PM

Default Costco premium non ethanol

I did Steve's test from the video and found no ethanol in premium fuel from Sherwood Park Costco today.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Where I get my fuel from has one gas hose and you get to choose from three or four different grades. I figured out that a hose with an interior volume of 1/2" and a length of 10 feet has a volume of half a liter. A hose with an interior volume of 3/4" and a 10 foot length has a volume of 1 liter.
I fill my vehicle tank with regular and switch to premium to top it off and then to my jerry can.

Edit; Just as an after thought, I like premium for my four strokes but have not had any problems with ethanol in my two stroke mix. Maybe the oil works like a fuel stabilizer.

Last edited by silver; 07-14-2022 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:23 AM

I have at least 20 gas burning engines and have never had a problem yet burning regular gasoline.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I have at least 20 gas burning engines and have never had a problem yet burning regular gasoline.
I am glad for you but my experience has been different.

Usually my lawnmower gets regular all summer but in the fall I switch over to premium and for the last run it gets a bit of stabilizer.
The units that only see sporadic use like the rototiller and wood chipper get premium and stabilizer.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I have never bought over priced premium fuel since I sold my 1967 Camero with 327 high compression engine 50 years ago.. Only motor I ever needed premium fuel to run. Every quad, truck, car, chain saw, weed wacker, tractor runs beautiful on low cost regular fuel with high octane ethanol. By the way I am a retired petroleum chemist.
Not to drag up an old post, but BGW has it right. In my 50+ years of pumping fuel into jerry cans/fuel tanks and ONLY running low cost regular fuel in every engine, I've never had issues (with the exception of dirty fuel). And have never had an engine fail due to fuel issues.

My 30+ year old sportbike has had regular fuel run through it, every drop. Still performs like it did on day 1 in 1991. Leaves a lot of vehicles in the rearview mirror and just simply works.

Premium fuel (IMHO) is just not worth it for my engines. But if I were to buy a spanking new Lambo with a 10 year warranty that would be somehow caput by using low cost regular, then for sure I'd pump premium.... But then again, if I could afford the Lambo I'd probably be able to afford the premium....

J.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
It isn’t the burning that is the issue. It is the sitting idle for several months that is where the problems begin.