Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-20-2023, 12:45 AM

Default Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph Review and Initial Thoughts

I finally got the new Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph and tried it out at the range this weekend. I am very impressed with it. Huge improvement and advancement over the Lab Radar, which I had prior to getting the Xero C1.

My initial impressions and observations:

It is super compact. In person, it’s even smaller than I realized from watching some of the YouTube reviews.

Simple to use, with a very intuitive and user friendly menu. I used mine with the Garmin ShotView app, which records each shooting session and allows quick and easy export to a CSV file that you can open in EXCEL.

I only shot 6 rounds from my .30-06 to test it out. There is really no aiming it like the sometimes finicky Labradar, you just point it in the general direction of the target. There is also no arming of the unit like the Labradar, you just start a session. It picked up each shot quickly, providing the muzzle velocity and running average within a couple seconds after each shot.

I was concerned whether the radar would work with the shooting baffles at my local gun range (huge metal tubes used for safety and to suppress noise as the range is right beside a Calgary suburb), but it worked fine. This was great news as it was not possible to use the Labradar at this range due to the shooting baffles.

The Garmin beats the Labradar in every area except down range velocities, which the Ladradar provides but the Garmin does not. However, I never really used that info for anything other than “nice to know”.

I give the Garmin Xero C1 Pro a 10/10 and would highly recommend. It is a quantum leap forward in chronograph technology.

For those unwilling to pay the $800 CAD, there will be many used Labradars on the market for cheap in the near future. The Labradar still does the job, but in a much larger and less convenient / less user friendly package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2023, 05:42 AM

Thanks for posting this. As much as I like my labradar this new Garmin looks pretty sweet
Old 11-20-2023, 06:22 AM

I would be interested in how the little unit does on a busy firing line. Whether it would pick up other shots unintentionally.

btw, I feel for you at that range with those tubes to shoot through.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:31 AM

Dang. Now I have to get one.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:49 AM

Where did you find one here in Alberta?
Old 11-20-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I would be interested in how the little unit does on a busy firing line. Whether it would pick up other shots unintentionally.

btw, I feel for you at that range with those tubes to shoot through.
It’s been proven not to by several testers
Old 11-20-2023, 07:32 AM

Garmin will be the game changer in the chronograph world. Why would one by something different than that ??cost maybe ?
Old 11-20-2023, 08:08 AM

Great report. Nice that its so small and produces an easy to read display.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
Where did you find one here in Alberta?

GPS Central in Calgary. They had a couple left in stock as of this weekend.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:28 AM

I ran my the first time about a week ago.

Had two new loads I was testing on the 444, so roughly 36 shots in 3 shot strings. Ran my 44 mag as well for some speed. Then the 6.5CM to get speed and verify my loads between two different powders.

So roughly 86 shots total. Was very easy to start new strings with the different powder loads. Recorded it all, and was easy to add little details on the phone app later at home before exporting.

It will record the bullet weight on the shot string, but it is nice to add powder weight charges and other details and that is easy to do in the app.

My first radar, so I can't compare to the others, but I have been shopping for 2 years and know all the others details and shortcomings, hence I was still waiting. Glad I waited for the Xero to come out, as its a pleasant surprise.

No problem with the 26" barrel that is with a break to the short 18" barrels, as I didn't have to move the unit at all. Had guys 2 tables over and that was no problems either.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
I ran my the first time about a week ago.

Had two new loads I was testing on the 444, so roughly 36 shots in 3 shot strings. Ran my 44 mag as well for some speed. Then the 6.5CM to get speed and verify my loads between two different powders.

So roughly 86 shots total. Was very easy to start new strings with the different powder loads. Recorded it all, and was easy to add little details on the phone app later at home before exporting.

It will record the bullet weight on the shot string, but it is nice to add powder weight charges and other details and that is easy to do in the app.

My first radar, so I can't compare to the others, but I have been shopping for 2 years and know all the others details and shortcomings, hence I was still waiting. Glad I waited for the Xero to come out, as its a pleasant surprise.

No problem with the 26" barrel that is with a break to the short 18" barrels, as I didn't have to move the unit at all. Had guys 2 tables over and that was no problems either.
That was a much more substantial test than I did. Great review and comments. Did you have any missed shots? I haven't heard of that being an issue with the Garmin, but just curious.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
It’s been proven not to by several testers
Anywhere you could direct us to these tests?
Old 11-20-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Anywhere you could direct us to these tests?
I am sure a quick search and you could find that out. There have been more than enough reviews done on this thing since it came out.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett View Post
That was a much more substantial test than I did. Great review and comments. Did you have any missed shots? I haven't heard of that being an issue with the Garmin, but just curious.
The only shot it missed is when I reloaded the 44 mag to fast and did not give it a chance to register. I get too carried away sometimes on mag dumps and was just cruising along and only noticed later that my 5 shots only registered 4. They were really mag dumps so I should have know better. A semi auto will be hard to catch all the shots.

I did not have any other hickups or dropped shots. And it is not like you have to wait for it to register the shot for any length of time, just no mag dumps. Normal bolt action operation will be fine.

I did all the 6.5 cm testing with 10 round strings, and they were all fine. 4 batches of them, and I'm not one to take my time between shots when things are all lined up. The last 20 shots were out to 500m and 1000 meter. It don't care where and what you shoot at and provides the data promptly.

The app is really easy to use and add all you data as you require. On the unit itself after the string is done, you can either scroll up, (the short way) or down, (the long way) thru the menu to end the string and stat a new one.

My first time using a chrony of any kind and it was super easy peasy. I have watched some use the LR and struggle with it and complain of its "easy" use.

Its like the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:21 PM

Great to hear! Really good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
The only shot it missed is when I reloaded the 44 mag to fast and did not give it a chance to register. I get too carried away sometimes on mag dumps and was just cruising along and only noticed later that my 5 shots only registered 4. They were really mag dumps so I should have know better. A semi auto will be hard to catch all the shots.

I did not have any other hickups or dropped shots. And it is not like you have to wait for it to register the shot for any length of time, just no mag dumps. Normal bolt action operation will be fine.

I did all the 6.5 cm testing with 10 round strings, and they were all fine. 4 batches of them, and I'm not one to take my time between shots when things are all lined up. The last 20 shots were out to 500m and 1000 meter. It don't care where and what you shoot at and provides the data promptly.

The app is really easy to use and add all you data as you require. On the unit itself after the string is done, you can either scroll up, (the short way) or down, (the long way) thru the menu to end the string and stat a new one.

My first time using a chrony of any kind and it was super easy peasy. I have watched some use the LR and struggle with it and complain of its "easy" use.

Its like the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the thread OP, I'm glad to see some more confirmation of this unit's quality. I'm planning on starting reloading next year and I had been bemoaning the drawbacks of all the other chronographs on the market when I found out about the Garmin. Quantum leap indeed.

Cheers
Old 11-22-2023, 07:59 PM

I started reading your thread but thought to myself "yeah but will they work with the baffles at the range".......and then I scroll down and see those dreaded green pipes!

PS: just a warning, never use a brake in those tubes with a high caliber rifle, very bad day!
Old 11-22-2023, 08:39 PM

Does anyone know who actually has these in stock?
Old 11-22-2023, 10:28 PM

Default Great Review

Great Review. I picked up the Bullet Seeker but I have to admit the price of this unit is alot better. If a guy picked up a picatiny rail adapter I think it would still be cheaper than the Bullet Seeker.

My guess is performance would be similar as would features. Seems the big thing in the Garmins Favor is Price. Its a good time to be a shooter with all the tech available to us.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:57 AM

Default Garmin Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett View Post
GPS Central in Calgary. They had a couple left in stock as of this weekend.
I just called and they are out of stock. They may get more in a month or so.
Any one know where they are in stock?
Old 11-23-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
Cabelas Edmonton north, as of right now.

Out of stock online though
Old 11-23-2023, 02:18 PM

Man glad I was able to jump onto the bandwagon before this all started.

Almost worse than finding primers!

Showing limited stock in Calgary and Saskatoon stores. Maybe call them and get transferred to a store near you?
Old 11-23-2023, 04:37 PM

It's all the rage I would bet in a couple months a guy will be able to pick up a lightly used magneto speed for $200

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-23-2023, 05:03 PM

I already own a Labradar , basically because a Magnetospeed is not comparable with my BP cartridge guns .
I am not about to sell the Labradar and try and buy a Garmin however since the Labradar does all I need .
As far as downrange velocities go, our club has Shotmarker electronic targets that give the velocity at the target accurately.
Cat
Old 11-23-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
Placed order on October 20-th to Garmin.ca. Called them on Monday and was told it would be available in the end of December or in January . Then 2 days ago got email that items were shipped 2 days ago.
PS. The guy from Garmin told me that the first batch was sold within an hour

Last edited by sailor; 11-23-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 05:41 AM

I’ll probably end up getting the Garmin but my Labradar does everything I need it to except for .22 cal.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’ll probably end up getting the Garmin but my Labradar does everything I need it to except for .22 cal.
I just use the slower velocity setting for .22's on my Labradar.
Apparently ypu can use it for arrows as well.
Cat
Old 11-24-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I use the pistol mode and doppler trigger for my 22, hasn't missed a shot yet.

I actually like the down range speeds too as I cast some of mine and that will tell me the SD of the bullet and the drop better.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:56 AM

Smile Xero

Mannn...now y'all got me wantin one of these...
My Magneto works just fine...but...but..but

Great info ! Thanks for taking the time to post and share
Old 11-25-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I use the pistol mode and doppler trigger for my 22, hasn't missed a shot yet.

I actually like the down range speeds too as I cast some of mine and that will tell me the SD of the bullet and the drop better.
I was thinking more like 22-250 223