Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 PM

Default Chain Lks. Hwy 22 - Why?

I need some input. Using a 1 1/4" tear drop style jig tipped with a piece of shrimp. Fished in about 16 fow, 6"-10" off bottom, nothing doing. Visible for about 8-9'. Brought it up to change lure, tossed the tiny chunk of shrimp down the whole and watched. At 3' until it disapeared from sight trout were all over it but not hitting it. They would come charging in and turn away at the last second, remember, no hook or line just free falling. Did the same with a gulp earthwork, natural colour, gulp corn, small piece of real garlic, nothing inhaled. When I dropped a jig tipped with any of the above, not a fish to be seen. The same with an untipped jig of various colors, didn't see a fish. Was using 6lb. mono. Any comments/thoughts on this? Was I doing something wrong? Are the fish just spooked from fishing pressure? Thanks. Tried my Big Buddy today. AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM

sorry i cant help you but did you catch any suckers?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:22 PM

maybe pick up some 2 pound test mono and a marmish rod
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-16-2011, 07:34 PM

could be just the time of day. Rainbows??? I find one day they are on and the next they are off.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM

No hits at all. Never saw a sucker. Took a senior fishing today. Hoped to get some action at Chain but............ a bad day fishing is better than.........
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM

Take him to PCR next time, pretty hard not to catch fish there, might not be too big but at least they are entertaining. And the odd huge pike just to keep things interesting
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM

Smile

Would the suggestion increase the action?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM

could be just the time of day. Rainbows??? I find one day they are on and the next they are off.

Sorry, Rainbows. Not to bad, 10-11"
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post

Would the suggestion increase the action?
Ive fished side by side in clear ponds using 2 to 4 pound mono, besides people using 6 pound and up, and outfished them 10 to 1. If the trout are at least interested in the freefalling bait, maybe slowing the fall a bit with light line would entice them to take it. sometimes a jigging action will get them to eat it.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Wayne, what would be a good bait to start off with at PCR?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 PM

pick up a bag of smelts at Stupor store, cut them into half inch pieces and fish them on and just off the bottom on quarter ounce jigs, or glow jigs after dark for burbs too. colour dosesnt really matter much, they will eat anything that smells like fish. I tried small shrimp and they worked ok too, but smelts are awesome in there.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Ive fished side by side in clear ponds using 2 to 4 pound mono, besides people using 6 pound and up, and outfished them 10 to 1. If the trout are at least interested in the freefalling bait, maybe slowing the fall a bit with light line would entice them to take it. sometimes a jigging action will get them to eat it.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Take him to PCR next time, pretty hard not to catch fish there, might not be too big but at least they are entertaining. And the odd huge pike just to keep things interesting
wayne, please clarify huge pike? i am not saying they arent there and i have only fished twice with my kids but i havent heard of a big gator comming out of there. the walley must be starving in that lake cause they eat anything that moves..
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
WC the lighter the line the faster the bait will fall
Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Smile

they will eat anything that smells like fish. I tried small shrimp and they worked ok too, but smelts are awesome in there.

I would comment, but this is a family show
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
wayne, please clarify huge pike? i am not saying they arent there and i have only fished twice with my kids but i havent heard of a big gator comming out of there. the walley must be starving in that lake cause they eat anything that moves..
30 pound plus. Ive had one well over 20 eat the walleye on my line in the summer, unfortunately I was using 4 pound line and didnt manage to land it. Did have it on for a while and got it to the surface tho, right baitfisher??? Was talking to a retired commercial fisherman who swears he had one come up at the dock that was at least 30. they are in there, but theres so many walleye for food they are hard to catch. and Crusty Oh yes on the light drag, if you catch something bigger at least you have a chance then. Im going to spool up a reel with 2 pound for PCR just for the fun of it, it makes even smaller fish put up a good fight. I always prefer 4 pound in the Bow for Rockies, you have to work at landing them, especially the bigger ones in the current.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Why don't they bite I wish I knew!!!! this summer two rods same line lure and bait dropped 3" beside each other. The one line in water- drop down- fish on -reel up- rebait -drop in water- drop down -fish on over and over --my line not a nibble and this was at PCR ---- who knows!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
Never caught one but had a 45-50" pike grab my walleye right at the boat and a 36-40" pike try the same thing half hour later at PCR. Tried tossing a big 5 of diamonds at them but no luck.

Quote:
30 pound plus. Ive had one well over 20 eat the walleye on my line in the summer, unfortunately I was using 4 pound line and didnt manage to land it. Did have it on for a while and got it to the surface tho, right baitfisher??? Was talking to a retired commercial fisherman who swears he had one come up at the dock that was at least 30. they are in there, but theres so many walleye for food they are hard to catch. and Crusty Oh yes on the light drag, if you catch something bigger at least you have a chance then. Im going to spool up a reel with 2 pound for PCR just for the fun of it, it makes even smaller fish put up a good fight. I always prefer 4 pound in the Bow for Rockies, you have to work at landing them, especially the bigger ones in the current.
wow..thanks for the info next time i take my kids i will have to put a big gator rig on a tip up and see what happens. ur rite, a lot of food in that lake for a big gator.

p.s. sorry for the hi jack...
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM

crusty...maybe try downsize the bait on a small hook if that doesnt work
if that fails do something radical jig a small flash lure. kinda like throwing a hopper into a frustrating BWO hatch
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 PM

maybe try downsize the bait on a small hook if that doesnt work
if that fails do something radical jig a small flash lure. kinda like throwing a hopper into a frustrating BWO hatch

Tried that & more. It was frustrating knowing we were in fish but no hits. Next time.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 PM

i hear real corn (green giant) fished with a #10 and splitshot has out fished anything else there most days over and over year after year. did you try the real deal or just powerbait?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Gulp corn. I had corn scent (dip) (Berkley) should have tried that.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Toatally agree!! i would start off with 4 and see what happens, also try a bead head with green body, small
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Just a thought but maybe try washing your hands with a non scented soap before handleing your bait. Maybe the fish are scenting sweat or whatever off your hands. What do you have to lose. If your using a power auger, maybe they can smell gas or exhaust off the bait from your hands.Weird thought eh.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Just a thought but maybe try washing your hands with a non scented soap before handleing your bait. Maybe the fish are scenting sweat or whatever off your hands. What do you have to lose. If your using a power auger, maybe they can smell gas or exhaust off the bait from your hands.Weird thought eh.
Not at all. It wasn't sweat though. -14 plus a gusty wind. Hand auger. no sweat just icicles.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM

velveeta cheese , has worked for me whenever Ive been down there ...... Last time couldnt keep them off the hook long enough to sit down !!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 AM

Trout are way more line shy than Walleye or Pike and they will definitely shy away from heavier line. I fished Struble a couple of weeks ago with a buddy who was using 8lb high vis line. I was using 2lb and I out fished him about ten to one. Lighter line (either 2 or 4 lb fluorocarbon) is what you should use for trout. You don't need a whole spool of 2lb line a tippet of 3 feet is plenty. Tie it on to your main line with a Surgeons knot and you are good to go. What Chub says is true: lighter line has less water resistance and therefore your lures will drop faster but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like pink marabou jigs or small tube jigs tipped with maggots or a piece of worm for rainbow trout. I should also add that I was using a Marcum lx-5 flasher and I knew when the trout were checking out my lure and was able to tempt them into biting by raising my lure ever so slowly. If they follow it up you pretty much have them. A classic lift, drop, pause, method works great if you don't use electronics. The lift and drop (on a controlled slack line) attracts the fish and the pause triggers the bite. Most people don't pause nearly long enough.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
WC the lighter the line the faster the bait will fall
I know what you mean, I meant a controlled fall, the lighter the line the smaller the lure you can use.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
velveeta cheese , has worked for me whenever Ive been down there ...... Last time couldnt keep them off the hook long enough to sit down !!
X2. Did you try cheese? Is all I use for rainbows.