Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Default Fire and Ice

I have been trying to search if it's permissible to have a fire on the ice while ice fishing with no success. Anybody know if this is legal or not?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Never heard of it not being legal. Along as you have enough ice.......
Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Never heard of it not being legal. Along as you have enough ice.......
On Sylvan lake I have seen a group of guys get fined for littering because of their fire on the ice. Even with the ice shack the fish cops warned me about the ashes from the stove.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Depends on the co officer. I have seen some say yes and some say no. Cos don't care at crawling valley I know that I asked and had fire.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyAngler View Post
On Sylvan lake I have seen a group of guys get fined for littering because of their fire on the ice. Even with the ice shack the fish cops warned me about the ashes from the stove.
Guess it's way different down south, up here no bats an eye about fire on ice.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Iv never been told no, and Iv had co's come up to a few fires.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Iv had tons of fires on the lake at sylvan. Never got a ticket-so far so good
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM

I have had a few fires on the ice... Not a problem.. Just don't be littering or burning garbage.

Most importantly, make sure your on some solid ice.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Never been an issue. i do bring a small metal fire pit with me so i dont leave too much mess.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 PM

****es me off, I cannot even count the number of times I have cleaned up the remains of a fire on the ice.

If you must have one, then use a fire container: or something. Too many people leave all their partially burnt logs on the ice for someone else to deal with.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
****es me off, I cannot even count the number of times I have cleaned up the remains of a fire on the ice.

If you must have one, then use a fire container: or something. Too many people leave all their partially burnt logs on the ice for someone else to deal with.
o know wood in the lake.... hah jk but try finding someones **** hole in the ice.... easily the nastiest thing ive ever come across ice fishing..

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

Actually its all enviromentaly friendly wood and ashes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 PM

People need to learn how to make Swedish fire torches/ Canadian Candles 1 log burns all day, very little clean up. Will keep you warm enough.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM

Some times the ol wooden shack starts to look like the homeless have been living in it haha
Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 PM

My issue is when big pieces of wood get left on the ice. Seen lots of logs haulec out onto the ice, burnt for a while, then just left there. Then come spring, there are half burnt logs all over the lake to dodge in the boat, if lucky enough to see them
Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I have to agree with ya Troller.

Personally, I don't really care as long as people friggin clean up after themselves..... which means removing the partially burnt stuff that eventually becomes frozen to the lake and sticks out like daggers..... then gets covered by a snowfall and then I find them with my sled. Like other people have suggested, take a burn receptacle out with you and don't, don't, don't leave any wood on the ice.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:17 PM

It's not just the wood left behind it all the garbage people are known to leave. But a few good people will clean up Let's remember your mom is not here to clean up after yourself
Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
o know wood in the lake.... hah jk but try finding someones **** hole in the ice.... easily the nastiest thing ive ever come across ice fishing..
X2 it's lovely when your out in your boat coming across the lake at 80 k and you hit a burned up log .
Old 10-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
X2 it's lovely when your out in your boat coming across the lake at 80 k and you hit a burned up log .
Could be driftwood just as easily. You ain't driving on the highway and even there, better keep your eyes open.

Grizz
Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 PM

I fish in Switzer Provincal Park and its not legal so i use this and stay warm

David

5038-800_500.jpg
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Just bring a box with you and shovel the ashes in after. Heavan forbid you leave some ashes and burnt logs on the ice? The farmers feilds pesticides, runoff from roads, fertilizers are much better for the lakes. I say burn all you want on the ice and if you don't like it come and tell me while i'm enjoying my fresh fish and chips!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Could be driftwood just as easily. You ain't driving on the highway and even there, better keep your eyes open.

Grizz
Eyes were wide open looking far ahead side to side pretty difficult to see when water is choppy none the less no damage to my boat or anyone on those boat thank god .
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Didnt you say that you have a 115 merc on your boat and it does 80km/hr, so 50 mph? I think your speedo and/or gps are out to lunch. I have the exact same boat as you have shown in your pictures (tracker) and with 1 person and just a light chop, trimmed right up and full power I only get 42mph, I have 2 buddies with 17 foot boats, both with 115's, one a merc and one a yammie, they both top out at about 42 to 44 as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Eyes were wide open looking far ahead side to side pretty difficult to see when water is choppy none the less no damage to my boat or anyone on those boat thank god .
is that half burnt log anchored to the bottom of the lake? i dont think so, in your choppy water that half burnt log is on the shore somewhere not in the path of your boat
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Didnt you say that you have a 115 merc on your boat and it does 80km/hr, so 50 mph? I think your speedo and/or gps are out to lunch. I have the exact same boat as you have shown in your pictures (tracker) and with 1 person and just a light chop, trimmed right up and full power I only get 42mph, I have 2 buddies with 17 foot boats, both with 115's, one a merc and one a yammie, they both top out at about 42 to 44 as well.
Methinks that BBJ, who himself is larger than life, tends to embellish his stories somewhat. Some of my associates would save a ton of money by not having to buy 250 or 300hp engines, and a hull to match, in order to be first to the "spot". Or back to the scale before closing time.

Having said that, it is known that charcoal contains toxins that are harmful to aquatic life. As it is illegal to light a fire on a river, below the high water mark, then it would also be wrong to light a fire directly on the ice of a frozen lake that is probably at its low point in the winter.

Free
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Getting a tent and portable heater would solve the question.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Not if a person doesn't like sitting in a shack all day long....

My brother made a portable fire pit out of an old oil drum and then welded together a stand for it. We've taken it out with us a couple times, and it works like a charm and no mess to clean up afterwards.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Methinks that BBJ, who himself is larger than life, tends to embellish his stories somewhat. Some of my associates would save a ton of money by not having to buy 250 or 300hp engines, and a hull to match, in order to be first to the "spot". Or back to the scale before closing time.

Having said that, it is known that charcoal contains toxins that are harmful to aquatic life. As it is illegal to light a fire on a river, below the high water mark, then it would also be wrong to light a fire directly on the ice of a frozen lake that is probably at its low point in the winter.

Free
Just curious where you got that information...i'd be interested in seeing it.

Carry on.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I was originally thinking about the kids and having a fire. Do some smores and such, hot dogs. I don't think it would be much fun for them staring at a heater. I thought everyone likes a good old fashioned fire.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Just curious where you got that information...i'd be interested in seeing it.

Carry on.
Falls under the Water Act [Activities]. I tried to track it down on-line from the Environment & SRD but the Queen's Printer wants a fee to purchase the complete Act as written. So I contacted the Province by an on-line query to speak to just the pertinent portion. A follow-up email assured me that I will get the information in 2 or 3 working days.

Because I am not spending any cash to prove the veracity of my statement (feel free to do it yourself), you will have to wait until they respond. Until then, if you want to build a fire on the ice, go ahead.

Free