Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Sims Barrel De-Resonator?

Has anyone tried one of these? I was trying to come up with something to help a new shooter with recoil and muzzle jump and came across these while looking for the recoil pad model on Limbsaver's site. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 PM

Default Sims

Does it work? Some will call it a gimmick some will say it is great, others will say it is plain ugly. I have one and for me it worked. Can't say it did what it was supposed to because I had no way to actually prove it.\

As for their recoil pads, two thumbs up.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 PM

I have a Limb Saver Barrel de-Resonator made by Simms Labratory
new in the package.
I bought it when i purchased a Limb Saver recoil pad for my Tikka .300 Win Mag.
The recoil pad made an amazing difference and I never got around to trying the barrel thingy.
Don't even remember what the thing is worth.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 PM

Thumbs up Just my thoughts

I was in at pheniox gun range the other day getting my limbsaver recoil pad and seen the deresionator i sad self if it works for 20 bucks ill bite so i bought 3 one for the 300 ultra mag One for rusty My ruger m77 270 win and one for the 257 weatherby mag i think any thing that reduces vibration etc shoud help some what and proably help extend the life of my guns and hey when yuor guns is worth around 1500 plus all decked whats another 20 going to hurt
Old 01-19-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUM View Post
Has anyone tried one of these? I was trying to come up with something to help a new shooter with recoil and muzzle jump and came across these while looking for the recoil pad model on Limbsaver's site. Any feedback is appreciated.
It reduces vibrations, and "tunes the barrel" , etc - WAITAMINIT!!!
That is what handloading does!!
gimmick, with a big fat "G"!!
Cat
Old 01-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Kind of figured it was more to "tune the barrel" than really address recoil. Well got him set up with the recoil pad, so we'll start there as I'm thinking if that doesn't do it, time to think about a different caliber all together. Thanks for the info
Old 01-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Kind of figured it was more to "tune the barrel" than really address recoil. Well got him set up with the recoil pad, so we'll start there as I'm thinking if that doesn't do it, time to think about a different caliber all together. Thanks for the info
your right, has nothing to do with recoil. it just reduces the vibrations of the barrel for more accuarcy so they say.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM

No different than the BOSS without the ports to reduce recoil.
it simply modifies the barrel harmonics.
Another piece of hardware hung on your rifle that can get moved, or some how inadvertantly put out of adjustment.

Stick with the basics.
and
Take the time to find what your rifle actually likes and you might just become a better shooter from all the time spent evaluating and yup you guessed it practicing.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Take the time to find what your rifle actually likes and you might just become a better shooter from all the time spent evaluating and yup you guessed it practicing.
Yep, couldn't agree more. But I am just trying to explore options to help reduce recoil/muzzle jump so he can more comfortably practice shooting it before we get too carried away with fine tuning a load.
I have used the these (the R3) on my ultra mags and they seemed to work pretty good, so I'm thinking (hoping) we have the answer for him with just the pad.... we'll find out this weekend.
Thanks again guys
Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Yep, couldn't agree more. But I am just trying to explore options to help reduce recoil/muzzle jump so he can more comfortably practice shooting it before we get too carried away with fine tuning a load.
I have used the these (the R3) on my ultra mags and they seemed to work pretty good, so I'm thinking (hoping) we have the answer for him with just the pad.... we'll find out this weekend.
Thanks again guys
Have you investigated reduced loads? Speer has all sorts of information on these types of loads in their manuals.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 PM

We have just started with some factory offerings for now as I don't have this caliber myself, so no dies or brass here to use. As soon as he grabs the dies and we have some brass, I will certainly be looking into loading up some lighter loads for the bench.
On that note, anyone seen the new Speer manual out anywhere yet? Tried to get it just before Christmas and WSS said they were waiting for the order to arrive. Haven't checked again, so maybe there now?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 AM

If you would specify the caliber perhaps someone could help you more.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 PM

I was at wss on saturday they had about 20 new speer manuals on the shelf
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks Dave, I will have to try to make it in this weekend.

Dick, the caliber is 300WSM.