Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of trail camera do you use and prefer?
I use IR cameras 52 49.06%
I use Flash cameras 11 10.38%
I use both IR & Flash cameras 21 19.81%
I prefer IR cameras 27 25.47%
I prefer Flash cameras 11 10.38%
I like both IR and Flash cameras 4 3.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 AM

Default Trail cams: IR or Flash

Just curious as to what kind of trail cams you run, IRs or Flash models?
Also which type do you prefer?

About 2/3rds of mine are IR models. I like IR models a little better than flash cameras, but don’t hold anything against a flash camera.
The only down fall to a IR is the black and white pictures at night. However I have heard about IR cameras that take color pictures at night. I haven’t researched much into them though.
With the same model of camera in IR vs flash, the IR gets much better life. In some cases I get well over double the battery life in the IR camera.
Another thing I like about IRs if you have your cameras in a public area the no flash at night keeps them hidden from other people better.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 AM

I have 3 Moultrie IR 55's. One cam I got over 1900 pics on in a month and still had 79% battery left. Can't say how they operate in the cold yet though, will find out. Yeah I am happy with them. On sale at Cabela's this week $119.

Also got a Primos IR46, but have not tried it out yet.

As for flash cameras I have never owned one.

Note to self...........buy more SD cards.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM

I use both IR and Flash. I like Flash a thousand times better. But all new cams are going to IR so I just gotta deal with it.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Great thread Rocky, I am contemplating picking up a flash camera instead of IR for some color night shots. Being much cheaper than IR, I won't be as choked when they get stolen!

I have only used IR. So far I have a Wildlife Innovations, and a Moultrie. Seeing that you use Cuddeback, I want to give them a try. I just don't have the cash to invest in a super quality camera like a T-Bark, mainly because I hunt public land and I don't want to lose sleep at night wondering if they will be stolen.

I will be picking up a couple of new cameras in the next few days, and I was wondering the same thing as this thread, how convenient!

My only question out there to the flash guys, do you notice that the flash spooks animals? Do you see the same animals coming in night after night and not concerned about the flash? If so, are those returning animals "big"? I have heard about smart bucks avoiding any human/foreign scent and objects, so I am curious to know if the flash has any ill effect on them.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 PM

When I get home I'll show you pics of 2 really nice deer that I got on cam from my flash. They were not bothered by it at all. A "smart deer" will smell your scent on your IR cam anyways. A smart deer is usually gonna outsmart us lol. Check out the Moultrie D-50/55. You can pick em up for 60 bucks or so and they are really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Great thread Rocky, I am contemplating picking up a flash camera instead of IR for some color night shots. Being much cheaper than IR, I won't be as choked when they get stolen!

I have only used IR. So far I have a Wildlife Innovations, and a Moultrie. Seeing that you use Cuddeback, I want to give them a try. I just don't have the cash to invest in a super quality camera like a T-Bark, mainly because I hunt public land and I don't want to lose sleep at night wondering if they will be stolen.

I will be picking up a couple of new cameras in the next few days, and I was wondering the same thing as this thread, how convenient!

My only question out there to the flash guys, do you notice that the flash spooks animals? Do you see the same animals coming in night after night and not concerned about the flash? If so, are those returning animals "big"? I have heard about smart bucks avoiding any human/foreign scent and objects, so I am curious to know if the flash has any ill effect on them.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 08-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
This will be my 7th year using trail cams. I have never noticed the animals to be spooked by the flash. Sure it may suprise them at first, but they sure dont seem to take off from it.

The scent thing I dont buy. I check my trail cams that are close to home every 7-10 days. The further out ones once ever couple weeks. Everytime I check that card there is always some sort of animal giving me a close up and checking the camera out. In many pics you can tell that the animal is sniffing the camera. Sure hasnt affected the number of pictures I get.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM

I like flash cams for pics as I find the IR night ones two grainy or to bright and you cant see the animal clearly. I have a couple High Mp IR cams but i only use them for video mode.

I dont believe flash scares the animals at all.I have lots of video of various animals feeding and a flash cam taking pics and most times they wont even lift there heads up when the flash goes off..
Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Great info fellas, thanks for your advice. I will pick up a flash camera and give it a shot. I am keen to see animals in color at night, and with better resolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Check out the Moultrie D-50/55. You can pick em up for 60 bucks or so and they are really good

Where did you find these cameras at that price Elk? Anything locally? I checked them out online, and would rather support someone local than ordering from the US if at all possible.

Thanks fellas, good luck this season - looking forward to more field photos! Keep em' coming!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM

Just for you fisherguy.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Great info fellas, thanks for your advice. I will pick up a flash camera and give it a shot. I am keen to see animals in color at night, and with better resolution!

Where did you find these cameras at that price Elk? Anything locally? I checked them out online, and would rather support someone local than ordering from the US if at all possible.

Thanks fellas, good luck this season - looking forward to more field photos! Keep em' coming!
I picked up D-50 from Bass Pro when it opened for $80, so they should be down to atleast $70 now since they are old models. Check out eBay. That's where I get all my cams.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 PM

A while back i posted a trail cam pick that was a nightime shot and complained about ir. Well i did indeed go out and get a flash cam and just checked it for the first time today. Respectable buck and a beautiful, clear, colorful picture. Love it!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM

Here is what i don't like about ir:
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 PM

Great thread is right Rockymtnx, I have a IR camera, but I think I will try a cheaper flash camera next instead.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Good thread to bump. Any additional feedback?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
I bought a couple flash models, they take good pics but the batteries don't last as long as my IR model.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Makes, models etc recommended?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 AM

What I liked about the flash camera I owned was that it wouldn't blur moving animals like IR does in the dark.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 AM

I have the problem of blur on my ir as well [reconyx new] but my old one seems flawless. I think ill try one with a flash next now hearing they dont spook game.My old flash was old and was a 35mm so it made lots of noise as well.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

I've definately noticed bucks not taking the same trails twice when my flash camera is on them compared to the IR. I'm constantly having to move around my flash camera's to keep getting the big bucks.. It does spook them IMO.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Picked up a couple Cuddeback Capture IR today (last ones left and all out of the flash model) which have been highly recommended by a number of different guys. I'm going to keep researching things as I may change my mind and return/exchange them before I am done lol. Anyone have some less expensive suggestions that have still performed well in cold temps?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM

I use a T-Bark (x2) ans a Truth Cam 46 that are all flash. They all take good day pics, but I prefer the T-Bark for night. Although, the Truth Cam pics at night are only black/white, but they seem to have a further flash range than my T-Bark.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Moultrie M-80 out since July just got to 15% battery. I'm impressed.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM

Has anyone had any luck with the Moultrie I-65, looking at buying and was hoping to see some pictures. Or would you say save some money and just by the 55?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywarje View Post
A while back i posted a trail cam pick that was a nightime shot and complained about ir. Well i did indeed go out and get a flash cam and just checked it for the first time today. Respectable buck and a beautiful, clear, colorful picture. Love it!

What model too this picture Haywarje? Looks really good.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM

bump =)