Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-28-2019, 08:57 PM

Default Having a serious bout of magnumitis...

Got some long awaited draw tags coming up in the next couple years, P6 antlered elk this year (probably 936), antelope soon, mulie, maybe even Alaska. And after eating tag soup on my P7 antlered moose a few years ago, I’ve got it in my head that I should buy a long(er) range setup, you know...just in case there’s that one in a million 4-500 yard shot opportunity. Right now I have a model 88 308 (terrible trigger) and lightweight 243 (could work at <300, but ain’t getting an exit wound on a big bull)

No, it wouldn’t have helped me get a moose, never saw a single live bull in November.

Yes, I know that 936 is thick and most shot opportunities are close anywhere. Killed most of my animals within 15 yards with an arrow. But what if...

Foolishness. Stupidity. Waste of money. Too much recoil. Anything else?

Specifically looking at the 7rm Christensen Mesa

Thought, opinions, and mostly please try to talk me out of it. I can’t seem to go a year without buying that one last x-thousand dollar thing I need to hunt with
Old 03-28-2019, 09:01 PM

It's never a waste of money ... Do it!
Old 03-28-2019, 09:02 PM

Before I got to your comment about the Christensen, I was already thinking 'he should get a nice 7 mm RM'.....shoot 165 TTSX and Bob's your uncle. Why talk you out of it? It's a classic and effective cartridge, without being too punishing on the shooter. And it will make you happy.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 PM

You already talked yourself into it,so go buy the 7mm and enjoy shooting it.
You will just spend the money on something else then regret not buying it,how's that for talking you out of it.

Plus sell the stuff you don't need and buy one that's good,no use owning something your not happy with.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:31 PM
Banned

I used to own a 300 WM and I couldn’t group that thing at all so I got rid of it. Failed experiment. Put a Tinmey trigger in your 308 and forget about getting a magnum. It’s plenty of enough rifle for a 500 yd shot.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Christensen Arms make great rifles and a 7mm rem mag kicks about as hard as a 30-06 maybe not even. Grab the gun and love it.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:36 PM

I've never shot a Christensen, heard they're light but the brake will help that. Brake & practice time a no go for me. 7 RM fine choice, buy it & enjoy it. Good luck on the hunts!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-28-2019, 11:24 PM

I just picked up a LH Mesa Prophet River ordered for me. Its a 6.5 Creedmoor.
I havnt shot it yet, but I must say im pretty impressed with the fit & finish. Bolt is nice and tight and smooth as butter.
A 7RM in a Mesa is a winner if you ask me.
Prophet River has one in stock to.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I've never shot a Christensen, heard they're light but the brake will help that. Brake & practice time a no go for me. 7 RM fine choice, buy it & enjoy it. Good luck on the hunts!

What is this brake you speak of sir? Could I put one on my 243?
Old 03-29-2019, 06:33 AM

I'm always loving a 300WM or weatherby version. its a hole puncher for sure.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Before I got to your comment about the Christensen, I was already thinking 'he should get a nice 7 mm RM'.....shoot 165 TTSX and Bob's your uncle. Why talk you out of it? It's a classic and effective cartridge, without being too punishing on the shooter. And it will make you happy.
165gr TTSX out of a 7mm remmag?
Old 03-29-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Got some long awaited draw tags coming up in the next couple years, P6 antlered elk this year (probably 936), antelope soon, mulie, maybe even Alaska. And after eating tag soup on my P7 antlered moose a few years ago, I’ve got it in my head that I should buy a long(er) range setup, you know...just in case there’s that one in a million 4-500 yard shot opportunity. Right now I have a model 88 308 (terrible trigger) and lightweight 243 (could work at <300, but ain’t getting an exit wound on a big bull)

No, it wouldn’t have helped me get a moose, never saw a single live bull in November.

Yes, I know that 936 is thick and most shot opportunities are close anywhere. Killed most of my animals within 15 yards with an arrow. But what if...

Thought, opinions, and mostly please try to talk me out of it. I can’t seem to go a year without buying that one last x-thousand dollar thing I need to hunt with

Difference between a 7rm and your 308 recoil is minimal. A good pad and you likely couldn't tell the difference. More rifles is never a bad idea but a 308 for the type of hunting you're doing is lots of cartridge.

I'm not a fan of levers but thats just me. Nice 24 - 26" barrel in a 7rm BA is pretty hard to beat and easy to shoot.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

One should always be encouraged to add another gun. However, your model 88 will kill anything that you can hunt.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Heres the one I recently picked up.
I went with a VX5 3-15x44 aswell.
This ones in 6.5 Creedmoor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 7mmremmag; 04-23-2019 at 09:37 AM.