Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2022, 05:39 PM

Default Conditions attached to new PAL

My wife and I just renewed our PAL's. I removed the plastic cards and was about to shred the paper it was attached to until I saw the "cut along the dotted line". It says that I have to carry this piece of paper with my license at all times. So now I have to carry a piece of paper that is likely to deteriorate in 5 years when it has all the same information as the actual license? How long has this been the case?
Those who are willing to surrender their freedom for security have always demanded that if they give up their full freedom it should also be taken from those not prepared to do so. - Frederick Hayek (The Road to Surfdom)
Old 09-04-2022, 05:57 PM

Exclamation Surprise!

To the best of my knowledge, that has been a requirement since Day 1 of the PAL/RPAL licensing system. Although I've never heard of anyone being asked to produce the paper copy for inspection, it could happen.
We keep those paper documents in a secure location where they won't get damaged.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-04-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
To the best of my knowledge, that has been a requirement since Day 1 of the PAL/RPAL licensing system. Although I've never heard of anyone being asked to produce the paper copy for inspection, it could happen.
We keep those paper documents in a secure location where they won't get damaged.
That would seem 'reasonable'. However under SPECIAL CONDITIONS it states
"Carry this document with your license card as you must be able to produce this document on demand if requested by a peace officer or other authority"
Those who are willing to surrender their freedom for security have always demanded that if they give up their full freedom it should also be taken from those not prepared to do so. - Frederick Hayek (The Road to Surfdom)
Old 09-04-2022, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
That would seem 'reasonable'. However under SPECIAL CONDITIONS it states
"Carry this document with your license card as you must be able to produce this document on demand if requested by a peace officer or other authority"
This is not new, here’s a discussion on this site from 2011.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=82752
Old 09-04-2022, 06:25 PM

For the record, to the best of my knowledge, nobody in Canada has *EVER* been charged for not producing that piece of paper. I keep mine with all my certificates for restricted, but the PAL in my wallet will just have to suffice for most purposes.

What you need to understand, is that if the government and it's professional bureaucrats aren't making rules, and generating paperwork, there would be no reason for them to exist (and cost taxpayers billions and billions in wages and benefits every year).

There isn't an LEO in Canada, or fish cop, who is going to ask for that piece of paper. Most don't know it exists. They may ask to see your PAL. Then, it's have a nice day, assuming you haven't broken any laws.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-04-2022, 06:58 PM

laminate it
$ 4 bucks
Old 11-01-2022, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
My wife and I just renewed our PAL's. I removed the plastic cards and was about to shred the paper it was attached to until I saw the "cut along the dotted line". It says that I have to carry this piece of paper with my license at all times. So now I have to carry a piece of paper that is likely to deteriorate in 5 years when it has all the same information as the actual license? How long has this been the case?
It is absolute pointless keeping it.