Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Default Environmental Pig in action on Sylvan Lake

With my daughter home from college we thought we would take a drive over to Sylvan lake to see if we should make this coming Saturday a fishing day, we were disgusted to see the mess that was deposited just off shore on the north end of the lake where RR23 (Palm Bay road) enters. I would really like to see this filthy S.O.B. clean up his own mess but what's the chances of that.
I have asked a fellow A.O. member to help me with posting some pictures of what we found so you guys can be on the look out for any similar activity in the area.
It appears that the "PIG" in question used a chainsaw to cut up a bunch of trusses and possibly pallets and dump a gallon or two of used motor oil on the lot to get the blaze going. Needless to say the debris left over is full of nails and those razor sharp cleated plates that are used to hammer the trusses together along with a pool of unburnt oil.
Myself, many locals and tourists use this area in the summer to swim their dogs and let their kids splash about. Countless pleasure boats get launched here as well. I think the mess that has been left will end up in about 3-4 feet of water when the thaw comes, this is real bad news for any bare feet and boat trailers.
It is my intention to try to clean this up as best I can before it gets covered up with snow, the forecast looks fair for Saturday morning so I will be there at 10 AM with a shovel and pail along with a garbage bag or two, looks like a some of the nails etc are frozen in so I will hit them with the tiger torch and see if I can make any headway. If there is anyone who will be out that way with any of those fancy pads for soaking up oil I sure wouldn't mind a few. I hope we can get some of the pictures posted up soon so you can see what's been going on. Best Regards David Henry.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM

Default p.i.g

hey dave , I will be there on Saturday and will bring some soaker pads for the oil and give u a hand .
someone did the same thing 2 yrs ago in the middle of the road and it was a huge pain picking up the nails so I didn,t blow a tire . would love to catch him in action and get him charged for dumping .
Old 12-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Pads

Thanks there is a pool of oil that I would just end up chasing around with the shovel, so those pads will sure help. Nice of you to offer a hand I don't think the clean up job will take to long. David.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:35 PM

good on both of you guys...good karma for you this season!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Slobs. Good on you guys.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Nails

Good on you both. U could try a magnet also, might make things easier.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
With my daughter home from college we thought we would take a drive over to Sylvan lake to see if we should make this coming Saturday a fishing day, we were disgusted to see the mess that was deposited just off shore on the north end of the lake where RR23 (Palm Bay road) enters. I would really like to see this filthy S.O.B. clean up his own mess but what's the chances of that.
I have asked a fellow A.O. member to help me with posting some pictures of what we found so you guys can be on the look out for any similar activity in the area.
It appears that the "PIG" in question used a chainsaw to cut up a bunch of trusses and possibly pallets and dump a gallon or two of used motor oil on the lot to get the blaze going. Needless to say the debris left over is full of nails and those razor sharp cleated plates that are used to hammer the trusses together along with a pool of unburnt oil.
Myself, many locals and tourists use this area in the summer to swim their dogs and let their kids splash about. Countless pleasure boats get launched here as well. I think the mess that has been left will end up in about 3-4 feet of water when the thaw comes, this is real bad news for any bare feet and boat trailers.
It is my intention to try to clean this up as best I can before it gets covered up with snow, the forecast looks fair for Saturday morning so I will be there at 10 AM with a shovel and pail along with a garbage bag or two, looks like a some of the nails etc are frozen in so I will hit them with the tiger torch and see if I can make any headway. If there is anyone who will be out that way with any of those fancy pads for soaking up oil I sure wouldn't mind a few. I hope we can get some of the pictures posted up soon so you can see what's been going on. Best Regards David Henry.

David's pics for all to see ... just can't believe some nincompoop would do this, unbelievable !

I'll try to get out on Saturday to assist.

Z-z

Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Default Pictures

ZIP many thanks for you help with the picture posting I owe you one. Regards David.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
ZIP many thanks for you help with the picture posting I owe you one. Regards David.
Your very welcome ... hope to join you on Saturday.

Z-z

Old 12-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Good for you guys for the clean up. If we could only prevent this sort of thing before it happens. Sometimes, a confrontation with these slobs is the only way.

Bobby

Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Good guys doin the clean up! Thank you!

Sad that that kind of stuff goes on!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
... just can't believe some nincompoop would do this, unbelievable ! Z-z[/SIZE][/B]
Lets ask the kids that tried to burn down shacks, destroyed shanties and robbed ice huts, if they know who would do this!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:39 AM

Gross