Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Crestliner windshield Smashed...HELP

As I always feared.. my port side glass got taken out this weekend. And within a few calls, it seems I can only buy both port and starboard windshields together. I have a 2014 Crestliner Superhawk 1750, Does anyone have a similar issue and want to split the $1276 + shipping and take the starboard side?? Im not sure the compatability with other models. Or better yet, anyone have another solution that may not be such a sting in the pocketbook?? Maybe someone on here has been through the search process and knows what my best steps are. Thanks
Old 07-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Banned

Default 2 years

That's how long it took me to find a portside windshield for my Lund. TaylorMade dual curve tinted. I advertised everywhere, searched everywhere. Finally Barry Jay's came to the rescue and had the piece I needed (so I saved half the cost) but a 10 hour return trip was involved. I installed it myself; comes with the frame and gaskets.

Now I have a canvas cover fitted to the glass for transportation home. I never cover the boat for the homeward journey but the glass is well protected.

Free
Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 PM

Well thats the process I wasnt hoping to hear. Heheh. I dont even mind running the boat like this except the bimini cant install and the travel/storage cover doesnt fit well obviously. I also try not to trailer the boat with the cover (which proved costly), But my last travel cover got destroyed trailering, so sounds like the glass guard is the way to go. What brand is the one you found where did you find it? And is it custom fit? or standard for full windshield?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT1! View Post
Well thats the process I wasnt hoping to hear. Heheh. I dont even mind running the boat like this except the bimini cant install and the travel/storage cover doesnt fit well obviously. I also try not to trailer the boat with the cover (which proved costly), But my last travel cover got destroyed trailering, so sounds like the glass guard is the way to go. What brand is the one you found where did you find it? And is it custom fit? or standard for full windshield?
I made it myself (with a little help from an upholsterer who sewed the hems)from a piece of canvas tent that never saw the light of day for 25 years. It fits perfectly and snaps on with dome fasteners, most of which serve to hold the sun top in place. Not to put too fine a point on it but $1200.00 is closer to the values that I had quoted from Lund dealers. Taylor Made does not sell retail.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 AM

Try these guys in Quebec,

Veralex

20 Boulet St.
Princeville, (Quebec) CANADA G6L 4M1
T 819 364-3419
F 819 364-3628
Toll Free 1 855 364-3419
Email veralex@prelco.ca
Old 07-31-2018, 10:33 AM

Wow!! That Lexan worked out really well and looks great. I didn't really examine the frame yet, was it hard to take apart and get the glass remnants out and fit the new sheet of lexan in? What thickness Lexan did you buy and how much was it approx? Did you just use a zip disc in your grinder? Sorry for all the questions, but sounds like ( and looks) like the way you did this was very successful. Any other HOT tips for me before i get this underway? So it sounds like a good option for me as I dont mind messing with it to save a pile of money.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:33 AM

Brilliant job CoilOil37, have always worried about that happening, and here you make it look like nothing to fix it, great stuff, btw you never needed to heat the lexan at all? that's awesome
Old 07-30-2018, 02:40 PM

I feel your pain. About three weeks ago I was taking the wife fishing. Dropped the kids at my moms and then headed for sylvan. This involved about 2km of gravel. I didn’t have the cover on the boat. Looked back and saw glass falling off the side onto the road. Looked up and saw this.

I cleaned all the glass up and put the boat in the lake. The wife out fished me as per usual, not in numbers as we caught a ton of walleye but she managed to land this old girl at 16lbs

I started looking for glass when I got home. Long story short Taylor made was close to $2k plus shipping and duty from the states and 10+ weeks. Two Alberta dealerships said they couldn’t find one. Virden recreation in Manitoba could get me one for $1600 plus shipping and 10+ weeks.

I thought about putting it through insurance but didn’t/don’t want to.

In the end I went to Home Depot and bought a 3’x3’ piece of Lexan that says it’s good for 10 years with no hazing for $153. Took it home and traced the other window with a piece of wrapping paper. Transferred it to my lexan and cut it with a grinder. Test fit and trimmed it a few times then installed her.
All up it took me about 2 hours. The lexan made the bend without issue, no heat required. It’s as sturdy as my other windshield and so far there are no scratches and it’s as clear as the day I installed it.

Now I travel with the snap on cover. It sucks putting it on and taking it off but it’ll save the other two pieces of my windshield.
This winter I might build a plastic cover that snaps top and bottom over the glass. I just have to find the right plastic. So far all I’ve seen is corogated stuff for patios. If I can build that it’ll be quick and easy to protect the windshield without spending 10 min putting a cover on the boat.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:47 PM

Try UPD plastics they can manufacture OEM spec windshields for 100's of different boats.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 PM

That's a great job with the Lexan! Nicely done.

For a temporary cover, maybe one of those windshield frost/snow protectors would work? I picked one up cheap at Costco a couple of winters ago (I think the brand was Frost Shield).
Old 07-30-2018, 04:23 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Lexan, as indicated above. Seen this done a few times and it is tuff too!
Go back to glass and you might be in the same boat again with a broken window.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-30-2018, 04:29 PM

I have a curved 1/3rd windshield here, if there is any chance it would work for you I can send you pics and measurements? It is new never installed.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM

Great job with the Lexan on your Lund!!! That looks mint at a fraction of the cost hey. I did use UPD Plastics once already like an above poster mentioned. They are out of Florida somewhere. In the end I was very happy with the quality of the product they supplied me. It was as good as OEM, in fact better. In my case I was able to order a thicker guage windshield and in a dark smoke colour, they had like 3 different tints I could choose, but that was back a few years ago when the cost was still kinda reasonable by today’s standards.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have a curved 1/3rd windshield here, if there is any chance it would work for you I can send you pics and measurements? It is new never installed.
Id certainly entertain the idea if it was the correct size. Thanks