Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 PM

Default Isle Lake

Anybody have any luck lately out there for perch?

Thanks

D
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Banned

Default isle lake

Don't even waste your time there. zero all across the board for all species.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Banned

Is that ever sad! Wondering why the Government does not stock it?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM

I've really been wanting to try it...heard lots of good feedback recently...hopefully soon
Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Is that ever sad! Wondering why the Government does not stock it?
I think it's not a great candidate to stock considering the high risks associated with winter and summerkills.

Lake is Hyper-Eutrophic - super high productivity for algal growth and subject to frequent winter kills and frequent summer kills due to the lack of O2 levels.

This does mean there is lots of food and nutrients in there and any fish that do survive will likely have lots to eat and they will grow quickly. But if you consider a winter or summer kill every few years, it's really irrelevant.

The lake is more like a 10km long slew that is a part of the sturgeon river system. Average depths are extremely shallow at about 4m with most of the lake covered and choked in weed mass. It's shallow, murky and prone to massive blue/green cyanobacteria growth.

After these frequent kills - Fish will repopulate the lake from adjoining watershed and the cycle starts all over again.

I wouldn't support having my dollars go to stock a lake that could see the fish we stocked die off.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Banned

Default isle lake

Those are really good points EZM
Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think it's not a great candidate to stock considering the high risks associated with winter and summerkills.

Lake is Hyper-Eutrophic - super high productivity for algal growth and subject to frequent winter kills and frequent summer kills due to the lack of O2 levels.

This does mean there is lots of food and nutrients in there and any fish that do survive will likely have lots to eat and they will grow quickly. But if you consider a winter or summer kill every few years, it's really irrelevant.

The lake is more like a 10km long slew that is a part of the sturgeon river system. Average depths are extremely shallow at about 4m with most of the lake covered and choked in weed mass. It's shallow, murky and prone to massive blue/green cyanobacteria growth.

After these frequent kills - Fish will repopulate the lake from adjoining watershed and the cycle starts all over again.

I wouldn't support having my dollars go to stock a lake that could see the fish we stocked die off.
Thanks for clearing that up EZM! A friend of mine used to live on the lake and he said the fishing was good!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Thanks for clearing that up EZM! A friend of mine used to live on the lake and he said the fishing was good!
It is a productive lake and has large in and outflows. Fish will definitely move in and enjoy a period of feasting in this highly productive lake. I'm sure the fishing can be great.

Keep in mind a lake can winterkill or summerkill, but that could be anything from a mild kill, to a complete kill and anything in between.

Whites are usually the first to go.

My point is I think I'd rather stock into a lake that has a better overall survival rate if I were the SRD.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:07 PM

Very true.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 PM

What's really sad is that everyone wants to keep keep keep no one wants to just go fishing it's ridiculous if you really need to keep fish go to superstore and buy some much cheaper then driving to a lake and trying to find some keepers.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
What's really sad is that everyone wants to keep keep keep no one wants to just go fishing it's ridiculous if you really need to keep fish go to superstore and buy some much cheaper then driving to a lake and trying to find some keepers.
Really!! That's false I believe, go to wabamun on the weekends that place is a zoo, my point was if the lake was destined to die off then let us reap some of the rewards.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Really!! That's false I believe, go to wabamun on the weekends that place is a zoo, my point was if the lake was destined to die off then let us reap some of the rewards.
Go to wabuman on the weekends and ask if they know the lake is closed to retention or ask people you see in the bait shop just cause people are there doesn't mean they are following the rules.

Why should you be able to keep fish there cause it winter kills? How do you know the fish you were going to keep wasn't just there for forage and was gonna move back up the sturgeon river just cause a lake winter kills doesn't mean you should be given the right to go pillage it. But of course that is the albertan way pillage now complain later.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
Go to wabuman on the weekends and ask if they know the lake is closed to retention or ask people you see in the bait shop just cause people are there doesn't mean they are following the rules.

Why should you be able to keep fish there cause it winter kills? How do you know the fish you were going to keep wasn't just there for forage and was gonna move back up the sturgeon river just cause a lake winter kills doesn't mean you should be given the right to go pillage it. But of course that is the albertan way pillage now complain later.
I didn't say we should all go pillage the lake, but if it is going to winter kill then why not keep some for the pan, pretty straight forward. Otherwise the fish are all wasted, I don't understand what you are trying to get at. I don't know of hardly any lakes that get pillaged anymore, they are all strongly regulated.