Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Pike where they don't belong

Anyone hear rumors of Northern Pike being caught in Birch Lake near Caroline over the weekend?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Esh I hope not, be a shame if another lake up there gets ruined by some moron with a bucket
Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 PM

Nope, but I know there's a beast in there! Buddy's estimate is its in the 40" range, and he's not one to exaggerate! Sure hope the person kept it!!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:14 PM

Can you verify that there is pike in there? Photographs, etc. This would be significant if its true. Would have very bad ramifications for the quality of the Trout fishery that is there.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:37 PM

No photos but a good friend had it come in right under the ice to inspect his offering. Him and his brother spent the rest of the day trying to catch it but no luck.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:07 PM

They were sure it was a northern pike and not one of the very large rainbows or very large browns that are present in that lake. The brookies can be pretty big on occasion as well.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcarpenter View Post
Nope, but I know there's a beast in there! Buddy's estimate is its in the 40" range, and he's not one to exaggerate! Sure hope the person kept it!!

Keeping said pike would be as illegal as dumping them in there in the first place. Unfortunately it won't be a angler that fixes this, at least not legally.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTreadOnMe View Post
Keeping said pike would be as illegal as dumping them in there in the first place. Unfortunately it won't be a angler that fixes this, at least not legally.
Why would it be illegal. Regs has 3 trout as the only stipulation for Birch. Which would mean you would fall back to the general regs for northern pike in lakes which is 3 with no size limit. Keep em if you catch em.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptreguy View Post
Why would it be illegal. Regs has 3 trout as the only stipulation for Birch. Which would mean you would fall back to the general regs for northern pike in lakes which is 3 with no size limit. Keep em if you catch em.
You only read the regs that you wanted to read apparently. This is copy and paste from page 16 in the regs. You may also want to know that baitfish are illegal at Birch since you can't read the regs properly.

"The following list of lakes, reservoirs and ponds identifies sites that are frequently stocked with rainbow trout, and some with brook trout, brown trout or cutthroat trout. Water bodies appearing below are open all year with a trout limit of five. The harvest of game fish species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted. Stocked waters where the harvest of other species is allowed or where bait restrictions apply are listed under “Lakes and Streams Listings” for each Watershed Unit.
Several additional sites stocked with rainbow, brook, brown, cutthroat trout or arctic grayling are not identified in this section, but appear with special
regulations under “Lake and Stream Listing” for each Watershed Unit starting on page 34"
So since it doesn't have a pike limited listed for birch in particular the harvest of sportfish other than trout is clearly illegal at said lake.

Last edited by DonTreadOnMe; 01-12-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
Esh I hope not, be a shame if another lake up there gets ruined by some moron with a bucket
Its not always some moron with a bucket, often its from ducks and other aquatic bird species having fertilized eggs stick to them and flying from one lake to another. What normally didn't have a species of fish in all of the sudden does this is often the reason why.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
Its not always some moron with a bucket, often its from ducks and other aquatic bird species having fertilized eggs stick to them and flying from one lake to another. What normally didn't have a species of fish in all of the sudden does this is often the reason why.
That specific area is known for the morons with the bucket. Its mostly perch and its a problem with illegal stocking in that area. I have heard rumors that Phyllis is going to be taken off the trout stocking program because of it.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 PM

They can wipe out a lake pretty quick. Hope they're not in there
Old 01-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Sceptreguy,

You mentioned you've caught some fish out of Birch Lake that had some big war wounds. I am assuming you mean bite marks or scarring of some kind. Was this on fish that came from under the ice during winter or during open water season?

And would you perchance have pictures of these wounds.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
Sceptreguy,

You mentioned you've caught some fish out of Birch Lake that had some big war wounds. I am assuming you mean bite marks or scarring of some kind. Was this on fish that came from under the ice during winter or during open water season?

Thanks.
I only fish Birch during the winter. I always just assumed they were old marks from birds in the summer or birds from around the aerator during the winter but if there are a few pike in there then that would also make sense. And sorry no pics.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:18 PM

Default Birch Lake Pike

Page 41 of the regs. Birch lake falls under the category of ES2 Lakes sub section C "listed lakes that don't mention a fish species" Pike limit is 3 no size restrictions. So if ya catch em keep them. No question about it, keep them. In fact for Birch lake that goes for anything you catch there with the exception of the trout. Just follow the provincial restrictions and your good.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Banned

Old 02-18-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
Sceptreguy,

Thanks.
What is it with the constant request for pic's? I am wondering if some guy dies on the ice or in a boat a report would not be good enough for you unless we had a pic of him in the coffin being lowered into the ground.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
What is it with the constant request for pic's? I am wondering if some guy dies on the ice or in a boat a report would not be good enough for you unless we had a pic of him in the coffin being lowered into the ground.
I was thinking the same thing