Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 AM

Default MacGregor Whitefish in big trouble

I have fished MacGregor lake for 20 plus years, targeting Whitefish, with my fly rod. Usually make a trip each spring. They can be finicky fish, but fun to catch and they fight great. The last few years it seemed that the fishing was getting tougher, and there were definitely more people there targeting Whitefish.

This weekend I went down for a day. There was no one at the spot I usually go, and only two other groups showed through the day. That was unusual, given the number of people I have been seeing the past few years. Calm day - Chironomids and Mayflies hatching, which usually means I see fish rising. This day I saw less than 10 rises all day (and those could have been pike). Plus, more alarmingly, I got no fish! Pretty concerned as I feel confident that, had the fish been there, I would have got some. Anyone know what has happened to the Whitefish in MacGregor?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Banned

I noticed a huge huge decline of risers at battle lake too yesterday. Not sure what's up. Netting for substinence? I dunno.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
I have fished MacGregor lake for 20 plus years, targeting Whitefish, with my fly rod. Usually make a trip each spring. They can be finicky fish, but fun to catch and they fight great. The last few years it seemed that the fishing was getting tougher, and there were definitely more people there targeting Whitefish.

This weekend I went down for a day. There was no one at the spot I usually go, and only two other groups showed through the day. That was unusual, given the number of people I have been seeing the past few years. Calm day - Chironomids and Mayflies hatching, which usually means I see fish rising. This day I saw less than 10 rises all day (and those could have been pike). Plus, more alarmingly, I got no fish! Pretty concerned as I feel confident that, had the fish been there, I would have got some. Anyone know what has happened to the Whitefish in MacGregor?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 AM

You should take a look at travers... It'll make your eyes bleed.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Not sure what you mean about Travers.
Whitefish numbers there down as well? Do you know why?
Old 06-08-2015, 01:33 PM

I go there targetting whitefish every winter on opening day and do wel usually. This year was brutally bad and I thought it would be better because they eliminated commercial fishing. I wonder what is up.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:36 PM

Default Get real

You don't think the PC -SRD ......netting was supervised do you .

Good luck ...... Just like everything else they did .crappalooza .

Get ready for the peoples party to reinstall netting ......without

Any reason or info .