Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 09:02 PM

Default Strikemaster 10 inch 40 volt

So I went and got a new auger. The strikemaster 10 inch 40 volt with the lite flight. I can honestly say that my old 10 inch Lazer Pro can kick this electric thing's ass around the block. 15 holes and down to 2 bars. Half a dozen times, the thing stalled just as it was about to break through the bottom of the ice. I spent over $1000 on this thing with extra battery and carry bag. I'm not impressed!! Anyone who has a good gas auger like my old Lazer Pro, stay away from this electric garbage. With a gas auger you can easily drill 100 plus holes in a day, just keep filling up the fuel tank. I can't believe I fell for the hype that a few guys on here were spewing. My 15 year old Lazer Pro can drill close to twice as fast.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:45 AM

Edit, missed some info. In my mind 10" is a lot for an e auger.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-10-2024, 08:42 AM

My 10" strikemaster is on year 5......I've never burnt out a battery in a day or even a weekend. 40-50 holes in 24+" is no problem.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:22 AM

would not trade my strike master 10 inch 40 volt for any gas auger .way lighter ,always starts ,and no smell . does 15 seconds drilling a hole make any difference.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:36 AM

Going to follow this post . Every one is talking how good electric ice augers are Now we get one guy saying how bad they are . Did we finally get someone to try it on 4 ft of ice ?
Whats up ?
Old 03-10-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Going to follow this post . Every one is talking how good electric ice augers are Now we get one guy saying how bad they are . Did we finally get someone to try it on 4 ft of ice ?
Whats up ?
I've been way north and drilled through 40-48" no issues with an extension.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
My 10" strikemaster is on year 5......I've never burnt out a battery in a day or even a weekend. 40-50 holes in 24+" is no problem.

Got the 8” one and still no issues.

Same results as you.

Seems the OP got a dud which happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-10-2024, 11:06 AM

Not completely the same product but I got an Eskimo Pistol Bit that I am using with a Dewalt drill and a 9AH battery and I have been more than satisfied so far. It drills substantially faster then the gas unit and I can drill more holes then I expected.

I would reach out to the manufacturer and see what they say about your issues you're having.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:26 AM

The area of a circle is 3.14 x radius(squared). An 8 inch circle has an area of 50.24 sq in. A 10 inch circle has an area of 78.5 sq inches, roughly 50% more. On 24 inch thick ice, the 8 inch auger cuts and moves 1,205 cubic inches of ice whereas the 10 inch auger cuts and moves 1,884 cubic inches of ice.

This difference in amount of ice cut for the same ice thickness makes a huge difference in battery life.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-12-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyemagnet View Post
So I went and got a new auger. The strikemaster 10 inch 40 volt with the lite flight. I can honestly say that my old 10 inch Lazer Pro can kick this electric thing's ass around the block. 15 holes and down to 2 bars. Half a dozen times, the thing stalled just as it was about to break through the bottom of the ice. I spent over $1000 on this thing with extra battery and carry bag. I'm not impressed!! Anyone who has a good gas auger like my old Lazer Pro, stay away from this electric garbage. With a gas auger you can easily drill 100 plus holes in a day, just keep filling up the fuel tank. I can't believe I fell for the hype that a few guys on here were spewing. My 15 year old Lazer Pro can drill close to twice as fast.
I have the same issues. I primarily use my Jiffy 3HP for all trips. Electric is nice and lite with little noise but I prefer oil and gas. Same goes with vehicles.