Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2023, 08:29 PM

Default Pine Coulee

Anyone been out there lately?
I would imagine the trout would do really well, seeing as the starving walleye were full of scuds.
Seen a couple pics of fat trout, but I’ve pulled bigger out of Bathing lake, just wondering if it’s living up to its “trophy lake” status yet?
Old 04-30-2023, 05:49 PM

I took a drive out there last weekend (Sunday, April 23rd).

Lake was 100% ice-free, in addition to the surrounding area.

Water level was quite low with ~10 feet gap between last concrete block and water level. This would affect launching a boat but perhaps not shore fishing.

I saw no fishermen at the time though I suspect a few were given there were some occupied campsites.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:54 PM

Default Pine Coulee update

Stopped by today, quite a few fisherman. First cast with my fly rod and a leach pattern, small pike, 2nd cat, fish on, for a brief second then pike bit right through my trout set up. A couple other hits, no trout . What’s the point of stocking this with trout when the pike population is still really high?
Furthermore, why have a 3 pike, 3 wallet limit if predation is happening. What a waste of money and poor resource management. Right up there with not aerating police Lake. Ok rant over. Hopefully other guys are getting some rainbows.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:11 PM

How did the water levels look? I’m getting a bit antsy to get the boat on the water!
Old 05-07-2023, 06:21 PM

Water levels must be coming up as the boat launch was in good shape. Lots of boats out. I don’t think you will have any issue! Campground in nice shape too.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:23 PM

Just to add to my earlier post. This was a really good walleye catch and release lake. I recall a fish a cast. What was wrong with that? Why take a round peg and try to put through a square hole? I was fine with that….
Old 05-07-2023, 06:37 PM

Just to add to my earlier post. This was a really good walleye catch and release lake. I recall a fish a cast. What was wrong with that? Why take a round peg and try to put through a square hole? I was fine with that….
Old 05-16-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhackle View Post
Stopped by today, quite a few fisherman. First cast with my fly rod and a leach pattern, small pike, 2nd cat, fish on, for a brief second then pike bit right through my trout set up. A couple other hits, no trout . What’s the point of stocking this with trout when the pike population is still really high?
Furthermore, why have a 3 pike, 3 wallet limit if predation is happening. What a waste of money and poor resource management. Right up there with not aerating police Lake. Ok rant over. Hopefully other guys are getting some rainbows.
Ya, the logic of it is perplexing to say the least, and what a kick in the nuts at police!!