Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Default Pine Lake - Dead Fish Everywhere

We've not had a good year here and now, for the last three days, more and more fish are floating on the lake and on to the shore. I've seen walleye, big, healthy looking fish (no marks, no sores), just floating belly up. Lots of them, not just a few here and there. And carpets of dead shrimp, a couple of inches thick, covered the beach line. Some folks say they've seen dead pike and perch, too.

I've heard that F&W will be coming up to test the water (again).

A friend said he can still see fish on his radar, but he hasn't caught one all weekend either.

This doesn't seem natural, I've never seen this before on Pine Lake in the ten or so years we've been here. Pine Lake is a green lake and we're used to algae, but it's been thicker and nastier than usual this year. The water smells like spinach. Maybe too many boats on the water stirring things up. Maybe the algae's depleting the oxygen in the water. Maybe too much development/pollution. Maybe an unreported spill of some sort. Whatever it is, it looks like something really bad is happening.

Last edited by Deb; 09-05-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

WOW keep us posted.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 PM

There have been reports of blue Green algae in some ponds/lakes around lloydminster, mabye the same thing could be happening there? Its some really bad stuff
Old 09-05-2011, 03:35 PM

While on holidays in July, I called Alberta Environment to report what I thought was a pretty intense blue green algae bloom. The person I spoke to said that he'd send a team out for testing, but I never heard back from them.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it is, but am horrified that, if it is and that it was known before now, a warning to swimmers hasn't been issued. There are toxins in some varieties in blue green algae that are pretty dangerous.

As I write this, I'm watching folks launch their boats, fill up their tubes with kids and drive between the floating carcasses of walleye.

I really hope this is a harmless chain of events.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:11 PM

I hope so too, from what I hear it is pretty dangerous the toxins produced. the alberta health has warnings out on a few lakes right now, but Pine isnt included yet at least.

albertahealthservices.ca/1926.asp
Old 09-05-2011, 05:41 PM

That's too bad. Hopefully it doesn't completely die off. If it is blue-green algae I sure hope they hurry with issuing a warning soon, that's a popular water sport lake.

What was the water temperature like?