Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Here's why Keystone is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoVbk5Tq7Ik

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-27-2014, 02:07 AM

WOW...I feel enlightened after watching that

I think those people have eatin one to many Tofu sandwichs, they live in a fairytale world...

"Always surprised at the people that come here and trash Alberta. Why put yourself through the torture of living here? Start your own thread about why Alberta is the worst place to live and why you stay."

Rugatika
Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 AM
Banned

I know its true because I saw it on TV.

By now it hardly matters whether Keystone is bad or not.

What matters is what the majority of people in a democracy want and whether or not the losing side of the argument has the grace to accept that.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 AM

BDB, you do realize that most Americans are in favor of the Keystone pipeline and by a fairly wide margin.

"Always surprised at the people that come here and trash Alberta. Why put yourself through the torture of living here? Start your own thread about why Alberta is the worst place to live and why you stay."

Rugatika
Old 04-27-2014, 03:32 AM

Lol that was awesome.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
BDB, you do realize that most Americans are in favor of the Keystone pipeline and by a fairly wide margin.
I realize that that statement in no way makes what I said invalid.

Some want it...others do not...each side claims that theirs is the majority.

There is a true count out there some place but it doesn't matter because no matter who is actually right... the other side will continue to work to overwhelm the will of the people.

This issue is no different than so many other polarizing issues that see the same sort of activity.

For my part I object to the pipeline only because I see it as an exportation of jobs and futures.
We have a finite resource that we are not exploiting to its full potential.
It is no different in my mind than sending raw lumber to Japan where it is turned into chopsticks to be sold back to us.
In the long term we would be better off to bite the bullet and incur the cost of making those chopsticks here and selling them to Japan.

Similarly we would be better off in the long term to resist the quick cash secure in the knowledge that down the road our resolve will pay off beter if we invest in our own future rather and maximize the control, production and sale of the final products made from our resource.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 AM

"For my part I object to the pipeline only because I see it as an exportation of jobs and futures.
It is no different in my mind than sending raw lumber to Japan where it is turned into chopsticks to be sold back to us.
In the long term we would be better off to bite the bullet and incur the cost of making those chopsticks here and selling them to Japan."

http://www.nwrpartnership.com/index....&id=2&Itemid=3

This world class refinery is going to get built and could trigger more being built in the future, great news ya?

"Similarly we would be better off in the long term to resist the quick cash secure in the knowledge that down the road our resolve will pay off beter if we invest in our own future rather and maximize the control, production and sale of the final products made from our resource."

If I were in business to make money I would want to sell my products when the margin is good and in demand, we have enough supply in the oilsands for 100 years, do you really think the combustion engine will be around in 30 years, I don't, we should be selling this oil while it is in demand not wait 30 years when nobody will want the stuff.

Alberta will still be a great Province after the Oil era has past, the greatest resource that we have here is our people not the oil

Rugatika

Last edited by blackpheasant; 04-27-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post

There is a true count out there some place but it doesn't matter because no matter who is actually right... the other side will continue to work to overwhelm the will of the people.

This issue is no different than so many other polarizing issues that see the same sort of activity.

For my part I object to the pipeline only because I see it as an exportation of jobs and futures.
In the long term we would be better off to bite the bullet and incur the cost of making those chopsticks here and selling them to Japan.

Similarly we would be better off in the long term to resist the quick cash secure in the knowledge that down the road our resolve will pay off beter if we invest in our own future rather and maximize the control, production and sale of the final products made from our resource.
your statement is invalid if most of them want keystone they would have a different president . but i agree with the rest of your statement. canada should make the money not the big oil companies . it should be a privilege to get our semi conflict free energy. i think its bull chitt that we have to get the oil out of the ground today cause they wont need it later. let the americans pay there own way out of debt. we have our own debt to worry about. better 20 or 20000 Canadians working than one American imo.

Last edited by cooper; 04-28-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:

I agree that exporting crude to the US instead of refining it here and selling the higher-margin more profitable final refined products is a stab to the province's economy... it's quick cash today but no growth in the future. All those majors playing in the market halted their refinery and upgraders projects since Stelmach's royalty revisit (with a few smaller projects proceeding) and decided to put the investment in the US to maximize their profits... Oil companies don't really care about AB or Canada or US or Saudi... all the nice stuff about securing oil from a friendly country instead of middle east is just cheap marketing... they'd reverse that in a second if their benefit is in the middle east... today there's a lot of turmoil in the middle east, which translates into a higher risk value so investments are coming our way... however, having expensive oil here, makes them think of ways to make it cheaper... well, get crude from here, and ship it to a cheaper labor area... gulf of mexico...
although for my field of work the pipeline will bring more $$... yet looking at it from a Canadian point of view (or even better an Albertan point of view) it's not in our best interest on the long run...

I might be wrong, but that's how I see it now...
Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:

What matters is what the majority of people in a democracy want and whether or not the losing side of the argument has the grace to accept that.
Well if its that simple turn in your guns and be happy
Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 AM

I seen Neil Young on the news last night in DC marching with the XL protesters...
Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 AM

Mr Redfrog, we have had our run ins but I thank you for humoring me.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

That video shows a good cross section of really stupid uninformed people.The 2 biggest idiots were the indian who called the keystone pipline the equivilent to genocide and comparable to the acts of Hitler and Pol-Pot.I doubt he even knows who Pol-Pot was and what he was responsible for.The other guy who cited the State department as the plank of his arguement like it was gospel and then rejects the State departments final findings as "industry spin" is just some NIMBY idiot.There is no fix for stupid not even with duct tape.

The reason for the latest delay in the Keystone pipeline is not due to protesters or public opinion it is because the mid term elections are cominng up and the democrats dont want to lose control of the Senate.

The Keystone pipeline will be built as it is in the national interest for both the USA and Canada.Same as the Gateway pipeline will be built as it is in Canada's national interest.

FTH
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Sooo the beer is fine, had me a little worried
Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Lol. That video is breathtaking.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I think there are enough ill informed statements coming from all sides of the environmental discussion these days. Choose your sources carefully, and mind that you're not just choosing to believe what you would like to believe. That's what will bite you.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
I think there are enough ill informed statements coming from all sides of the environmental discussion these days. Choose your sources carefully, and mind that you're not just choosing to believe what you would like to believe. That's what will bite you.

I do believe Mr. Redfrog was Illustrating the disgusting drive by journalism that is always exhibited by the main stream liberal media. You will note how the slimy character protester was telling people not to talk the interviewer. Liberals do not believe in free speech, and this little exposition showed that my statement is true.

The post by Mr. Redfrog reveals an incident when the tables are turned on liberals. Redfrog's post creates a wringing of hands in disgust by liberals on this forum. The very same people who would live well under a Keystone pipeline. The hypocrisy is amazing.

Mr. Redfrog's post exhibited a wonderful case of how low liberals will stoop.

Last edited by greylynx; 04-27-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I do believe Mr. Redfrog was Illustrating the disgusting drive by journalism that is always exhibited by the main stream liberal media. You will note how the slimy character protester was telling people not to talk the interviewer. Liberals do not believe in free speech, and this little exposition showed that my statement is true.
The post by Mr. Redfrog reveals an incident when the tables are turned on liberals. Redfrog's post creates a wringing of hands in disgust by liberals on this forum. The very same people who would live well under a Keystone pipeline. The hypocrisy is amazing.
You should be a politician.
All I have to say is in previous post.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 PM

Wow...

Too bad we can't develop some way to keep stupid people from breeding...
Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Banned

Thank goodness we don't let stupid people vote, or the western world would be in decline.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Its not hard to edit down 10+ hours of video interviews and remove any context or intelligent debate and comments made in it for the purpose of exploiting people and making them look stupid.

I'm not anti-pipeline but this video doesn't prove anything except the interviewer had an extremely bias agenda.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Thank goodness we don't let stupid people vote, or the western world would be in decline.
Without folks like these where would Obama be

Rugatika
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

I gotta say you is one Hep Cat there Grey.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand