Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 AM

Default Cell phone at the bottom of Jackfish Lake!!!!

So myself and the wife took the kids out sunday for some ice fishing fun at Jackfish Lake... 20min after the lines were in the water my wife pops her cell out to snap a pic of the kids....It didn't even bounce of the edge of the ice, straight in!!!!!!!!! Prob 400 pics and 15-20 videos of the kids on there. It's sitting below 14-15' of water!! Grrrrrrr, I was asking around and they say if I can get it they can recover the info from the sim card. So.... Any Ideas guys???
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador1 View Post
So myself and the wife took the kids out sunday for some ice fishing fun at Jackfish Lake... 20min after the lines were in the water my wife pops her cell out to snap a pic of the kids....It didn't even bounce of the edge of the ice, straight in!!!!!!!!! Prob 400 pics and 15-20 videos of the kids on there. It's sitting below 14-15' of water!! Grrrrrrr, I was asking around and they say if I can get it they can recover the info from the sim card. So.... Any Ideas guys???
Thanks in advance.
What's the depth at? You might be able to use a GPS for location, and snorkel down in the summer. Those are priceless memories in pics of the fam.
Might be a entertaining trip too.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 AM

If it's an iPhone everything will be backed up on iCloud
Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Ya, its at around 14-15' deep there, I did put the way point in my phone to be sure where it is, not sure if I could get down that deep without a tank or a rock on my back, lol. Icloud is great but we dont have it turned on(leason learned).
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Cellphone in lake

We recovered one using a piece of 4" plastic pipe, fishing camera and a shop vac!!! Used camera to get pipe over phone and stuck into muddy bottom then sucked water out with vac and latched onto phone with shop vac. May not work if it's a rocky bottom where you can't get a seal between the pipe and bottom? We were only in 11 ft of water as well. Hope this helps. SIM card may be ratched if it's left too long under water?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Depending on the bottom you might have a really hard time.....it will not take very long to be sucked into the mud on the bottom! Good luck but i wouldn't leave it very long like someone said or it will be a really hard time......my sons ipod is entertaining pike/walleye in the bottom of Newell.....kid has good taste in music!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM

That sounds good, pretty sure I have all the supplies for that also! I'm working on Sat but it looks like it's gonna be an interesting Sunday, My 4 year old boy said last nite; "me and you can get it dad, we just have to try really hard"!!! so either way it has to come up!!

Thanks, for the ideas!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM

Get one of those telescoping paint handles, and attach a suction cup to the end. If it's a smartphone with a large surface area, you'll have something to stick to...

A light bulb changer pole may work as well.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krthegunslinger View Post
We recovered one using a piece of 4" plastic pipe, fishing camera and a shop vac!!! Used camera to get pipe over phone and stuck into muddy bottom then sucked water out with vac and latched onto phone with shop vac. May not work if it's a rocky bottom where you can't get a seal between the pipe and bottom? We were only in 11 ft of water as well. Hope this helps. SIM card may be ratched if it's left too long under water?
There is a lake in alberta with a rocky bottom?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador1 View Post
Thanks in advance.
One of these should do the trick. I wonder if anyone rents them.

http://www.aquavu.com/Products/AV-Claw

Last edited by cube; 03-12-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
One of these should do the trick. I wonder if anyone rents them.

http://www.aquavu.com/Products/AV-Claw
Now that's pretty cool!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 PM

Reasonably priced too !!!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 PM

Dropped my phone into Sylvan two yrs ago. Got two ice fishing rods and tied a magnet to the line of one and my big ice scoop to the other. The magnet wasn't strong enough to lift the phone but did attract it enough so that I could flip the phone into my ice scoop and then just reeled it up. Took the battery out and then put both phone and battery into a bucket of rice overnight. Phone was like new the next day! The phone was in about 6-8 feet of water.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM

I have a 3 inch round magnet at work ..I believe it came from acklands ...it has a bolt on it so it can hang flat down... when I stick it to stuff its nearly impossible to get off lol its nuts ...talk to acklands you could grab an anchor off the bottom of the lake with it...