Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2022, 09:00 PM

Default Colon Cancer - 3 years since my diagnosis and treatments NOW TO PREVENT YOUR JOURNEY

This isn’t about dwelling on my journey but rather helping some of you NOT have a journey to discuss.

So how can I help you prevent it?

Firstly…

if 50 or older have a FIT test done. It’s so simple.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Alberta/...ical-test.aspx

If you have family history of colon cancer get a FIT test starting at age 40 as well as a colonoscopy.

If you have irregular bowel issues I’d strongly suggest having it done at age 40 and age 45 also. I’d also get a colonoscopy so you have a baseline.

Secondly…

After age 50 get a colonoscopy. Based upon the results you most likely may need your next one at 60 if you have no family history.

A colonoscopy, while annoying is not that big a deal. I’ve had a number of them now. What is far, far worse and more invasive is getting cancer.

Thirdly…

Get tested and follow up when you feel off. You are the best judge of if something is wrong.

This dude has been an idiot in the past. Too stubborn to get tested and follow up on problems. Not any more. Early prevention is key to a longer less stressful life.

So… talk to you doctor… talk to your spouses, siblings, parents, family and friends.

It could save you life. Not getting tested is selfish. Your loved ones will feel your pain many times over if you get sick as they are powerless.

So say **** cancer and get it done!

Stay healthy

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-02-2022, 09:12 PM

Great words of advice, thanks for that!! The big 4-0 is this year for me. Think I will look into getting this test done in the next year. Hope you stay healthy and save some of us from what yourself and many others have had to go through. I watched my own mother suffer through it and treatments and succumb to the dreaded “C” word. Don’t wish that on anyone or wish to see anyone near and dear to me go through that again if they don’t have to.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Great words of advice, thanks for that!! The big 4-0 is this year for me. Think I will look into getting this test done in the next year. Hope you stay healthy and save some of us from what yourself and many others have had to go through. I watched my own mother suffer through it and treatments and succumb to the dreaded “C” word. Don’t wish that on anyone or wish to see anyone near and dear to me go through that again if they don’t have to.
If you mom had it… get a FIT test for sure. Ow that you are 40.

Mine started growing when I was 40 cancer doc said. Didn’t get tested till my early 50’s. Great you are not going to make the same mistake.

Good news is I shared with my extended family and one family member tested young and caught it just in time.

So being proactive.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-02-2022, 09:23 PM

Great advice! F Cancer!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 08-02-2022, 09:33 PM

My bother in law is going thru it right now had the fit tests all showed negative didn't find the tumor until they did the colonoscopy.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
My bother in law is going thru it right now had the fit tests all showed negative didn't find the tumor until they did the colonoscopy.
FIT found mine. Colonoscopy confirmed. Together they are good tools to help diagnosis.

Find it early and it’s not scary… cancer starts in a polyp. It then grows down into the lymphatic tissue.

Catching it early means you remove the polyp and you are cancer free. Stage 0. Woohoo. Phew.

Stage 1… hasn’t started to spread outside the colon. New level of phew.

Stage 2 and it starts getting more complicated.

People shouldn’t be scared about finding it… as catching it early can be as simple as remove the polyp and you are cured up to minor surgery and you are cured.

The benefit of the colonoscopy is they can biopsy anything they find or decide treatment if it needs to be removed.

Point is… being scared to find out and waiting is Russian roulette of the worst kind. Finding out sooner than later is important.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:28 AM

Very good advice, lost my mother at very young age to colon cancer. These days very hard to get appointments for colonoscopy in Alberta, no doctors or nurses. Have been waiting for 2 years.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:46 AM

Had to post. Touched home again as a friend’s family is now in the middle of a new journey.

People. Please ask your doctor for a FIT test at a minimum. Don’t delay getting a colonoscopy at age 50. Age 40 with family history.

Time is on your side by being proactive.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Had to post. Touched home again as a friend’s family is now in the middle of a new journey.

People. Please ask your doctor for a FIT test at a minimum. Don’t delay getting a colonoscopy at age 50. Age 40 with family history.

Time is on your side by being proactive.
X2
Old 08-11-2022, 03:34 PM

I guess at 66 might be time to go in.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
I guess at 66 might be time to go in.
Very much so. Don’t hesitate. Get a FIT test.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:09 AM

Great news, even in Alberta you can eventually get into a hospital for colonoscopy if you wait long enough.