Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

Default License Costs

Another thread got me thinkin. We have a ridiculous defecit of f and w officers in this province due to lack of funding. If srd upped the license costs across the board to put more fish cops in the field, at what point would you call it too much? Right now a general tag is about 40 bucks and a wc is about 30 and a bowhunting permit is about ten. Id gladly pay 100 bucks a tag, 100 for my wc and 40 or 50 for my bowhunting permit IF the funds went where they are needed most. Imo that would be enforcment, but Id consider arguments that it would be better used for other things too.

How much is too much?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Bite your tongue ,we dont need higher anything,just because you can afford it there are many others who can not. Do you really think that would help the money wouldn't get to where it's needed anyway,it would just end up in some other government slush fund. With the costs of hunting now days ,ie: gear ,guns,scopes ,gas why would you even say that. I have 4 of 6 sons who are old enough to hunt plus my wife,trust me it costs enough, i can afford it to but at what point is it enough???
Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 AM

The problem I would see with that is that government agencies are at the mercy of government budgets every year. Budgets change annually as do the priorities of the government of the day, and Fish & Wildlife related departments have never been a top priority. I don’t think any government-based revenue ever gets dedicated to something. For example, the revenue the government makes from the registration of motor vehicles isn’t spent on improving highways, etc. I doubt the revenue from hunting licenses would ever be re-spent on fish / wildlife related matters.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
The problem I would see with that is that government agencies are at the mercy of government budgets every year. Budgets change annually as do the priorities of the government of the day, and Fish & Wildlife related departments have never been a top priority. I don’t think any government-based revenue ever gets dedicated to something. For example, the revenue the government makes from the registration of motor vehicles isn’t spent on improving highways, etc. I doubt the revenue from hunting licenses would ever be re-spent on fish / wildlife related matters.
Good point.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

Im in the same boat. I buy tags for 3 of us, plus all the diesel, chainsaws, winches, arrows, camo, freezer paper etc etc etc. Huntin season is 5 to 10 grand a year as it is, whats another few hundred bucks?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildnFree View Post
Im in the same boat. I buy tags for 3 of us, plus all the diesel, chainsaws, winches, arrows, camo, freezer paper etc etc etc. Huntin season is 5 to 10 grand a year as it is, whats another few hundred bucks?
are you smoking something???? I can speek for 98% of us when I say we should not pay anymore..... $5-15000 a year is alraedy enough.I dont know to many people that could afford $15000 to hunt every year. Let all the rich americans and non residents pay way more for there tags. in stead of $250-1000 per tag make it start @ $1000-5000 per tag. Also if the money was put back were it came from we would probably be ok.In stead of ai all going in to a gernal fund account and waisted on other stuff.

We average class people pay way tomuch for everything already....
Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildnFree View Post
Huntin season is 5 to 10 grand a year as it is, whats another few hundred bucks?
$5K to $15K/year............!!!!

What are you hunting with......gold bullets?

I'm sure that people that have deer/moose on their property or in their area spend nowhere near that amount. Even with one hunting camp in November I figure that it costs me about $500/season. How the heck do you spend that much?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
$5K to $15K/year............!!!!

What are you hunting with......gold bullets?

I'm sure that people that have deer/moose on their property or in their area spend nowhere near that amount. Even with one hunting camp in November I figure that it costs me about $500/season. How the heck do you spend that much?
Once you start adding up the total REAL cost of hunting season, youd probably surprise yerself with what you actually spend.

My fuel bill (for hunting) alone in a year will run $3000-$4000. This includes spring bear, summer scouting, fall scouting and fall hunting. When you do the math, its not that hard to spend $3000. A tank of diesel costs me about $120. Thats 25 tanks of fuel. Spring bear in April and May takes about 8 or 10 tanks (plus quad gas that I havnt factored in). Over the summer Im sure I burn at least 5 tanks for scouting. Come Sept 1 I hunt every day, so figure on a tank every 4 -5 days equals about 6 tanks/month for 3 monthes. Poof, youve just burned 18+5+10 tanks = 33 tanks X $120/tank = $3960. And thats just the fuel. Now buy 2 dozen arrows at 120/dozen. Theres 250 bucks. Muzzy em up for another 100. Then 600 bucks on tags for the 3 of us, now your at about 5 grand. Throw in laundry soap, scents, smokesticks, replacing a few treesteps here and there, leg ropes, bla bla bla.....all the consumables figure on at least another 500 bucks. Now your at about 5500. Spend a few nights in camp a few times at a conservative $200/trip and youre over $6k.

So then you bring your trophy home, and if youre lucky you have the skills and tools to process it yourself. Paper, tape, spices, sausage casing etc aint free. Figure on another $250 ( this is super conservative) for meat processing ( our bill is more like 800 a year, but that between 3 couples and LOTS of meat).

See? Once you start adding it up, its frickin expensive. And we didnt even take into consideration lost wages on time off to go hunting!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 PM

i agree with hwf...add it up 2 elk trips to hinton...130 bucks a tank...not including the photo ticket i got just outside of hinton...220 bucks...1 trip for moose ....athabasca...
bought a new 223 tikka...not sure why,but i did...1500 bucks...special trip to the farm to sight it in....athabasca again...just bought a snow camo bib & jacket...200 bucks...tags moose,elk both deer,bow license and wlc...

trail cams
reload bullets...
knifes
camo clothing
calls for everything
quad
guns for everything that moves
deck for truck
i could go on...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 AM

I went through a big road block just outside of whitecourt at the truckstop yesterday. 4 co vehicles and 2 rcmp. They were checking for everything. I got through without a problem, but this was middle of the week during the day. Maybe if they set up on a sat they would have more success. Just seemed like a waste of resources to me. They weren't nailing anyone while I was there.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 AM

If the price of tags and wildlife certificates were put up that high in price I think so many hunters would just say to heck with it that there would be even less funding than there is now.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchfisher View Post
If the price of tags and wildlife certificates were put up that high in price I think so many hunters would just say to heck with it that there would be even less funding than there is now.
Do you think that increased costs of tags would also increase the amount of poaching? or would it shut many hunter completely out?

I don't know if raising costs is the answer to put more enforcement out there. I do agree that more money would help, but I think that there are alternatives having more of the money already collected directly allocated back to F&W.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 AM

The answer doesn't lie with the costs as they are now IMHO....I think it is more how you manage the money you have coming in, not necessarily the amount that is coming in.

LC
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The answer doesn't lie with the costs as they are now IMHO....I think it is more how you manage the money you have coming in, not necessarily the amount that is coming in.

LC
Well said. LC.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Default General Revenue fund vs. Budgets

All money goes to GRF, and each department submits a budget, which is reviewed and decided upon by Finance and Enterprise.

Net sum gain ZERO!!!!

If you want to make a difference, have Alberta Conservation Association, Ducks Unlimited, etc get your money (tax deductible, and no tele marketer getting a commission). They use the money to buy critical habitat in areas where development is destroying habitat, and access is dwindling. (IE Southern Alberta).

What I am most upset about is that the fines for enviromental damage is not diverted completely to habitat preservation and acquisition (I call this "Compensatory Habitiat Preservation").

Basically, another F & W Officer won't make a difference when the quarter section has been subdivided for acreages with a view of the mountains, and there is nowhere for the game to live.

Drewski
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
All money goes to GRF, and each department submits a budget, which is reviewed and decided upon by Finance and Enterprise.

Net sum gain ZERO!!!!

If you want to make a difference, have Alberta Conservation Association, Ducks Unlimited, etc get your money (tax deductible, and no tele marketer getting a commission). They use the money to buy critical habitat in areas where development is destroying habitat, and access is dwindling. (IE Southern Alberta).

What I am most upset about is that the fines for enviromental damage is not diverted completely to habitat preservation and acquisition (I call this "Compensatory Habitiat Preservation").

Basically, another F & W Officer won't make a difference when the quarter section has been subdivided for acreages with a view of the mountains, and there is nowhere for the game to live.

Drewski
although its a good point.......its completely off the topic being discussed.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchfisher View Post
And probably more poaching to be honest.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Base it on the WMU you live in. A tag in the zone you live is cheaper, and jack up the price if you don't live there. That allows for country people who don't have much money to get cheap meat off there own land, and the rich Calgarians that spend $15,000 a year hunting for trophies demanding more rules and regulations to pay more.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:29 PM

If tags were $100 each I wouldn't have gotten the chance to go this year, bad enough saving for everything else I needed. Nice in theory, but coming from someone who didn't grow up with parents or close family to take her hunting, affording the sport while working/going to school is really stretching my budget as it is. Worth it of course, but from similar perspectives... A less obtainable opportunity. I also have a feeling it would increase poaching if it were unaffordable. Just my opinion
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Base it on the WMU you live in. A tag in the zone you live is cheaper, and jack up the price if you don't live there. That allows for country people who don't have much money to get cheap meat off there own land, and the rich Calgarians that spend $15,000 a year hunting for trophies demanding more rules and regulations to pay more.
LOL.... This is the dunbest post I have ever read in my whole life.... Are you off your rocker. All the rich calgary folk and you poor farmer.....LOL.... Wow... How about you sell you land and then you will be 10000 times richer than any poor Calgarian... I think you need to leave your farm and experience the country or for that matter a city. I grew up in the county and trust me you have it way better than most that live in a city. The biggest difference is your pay is once or twice a year from your farm or ranch. as for us it is every two weeks.You poor farmer could go get a job as most of the farmer i know do. They make money all year.They also have way more rite offs and money than anybody i know. So how about we put a tax on everything that goes to small town from the big city se we can subsidise our hunting in your wmu.....