Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2022, 04:11 PM

Default New scope

Wondering if anyone has a Swarovski Z8i 3.5X28X50 and what they think of it,my son is trying to decide on his next new scope and this Swaro is the front runner ?
Old 09-07-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Wondering if anyone has a Swarovski Z8i 3.5X28X50 and what they think of it,my son is trying to decide on his next new scope and this Swaro is the front runner ?
Is it for target purposes?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-07-2022, 06:23 PM

Default Oops

Sorry,this scope will be used for Hunting
Old 09-07-2022, 06:56 PM

I would say anything over 16 power is a waste for hunting. 3-15, 4-16 are nice ranges if you need high power.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-07-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry,this scope will be used for Hunting
Hands down I would go with Leupold!! Light, accurate, maintain zero beautifully if mounted correct, and any warranty issues are dealt with here in Alberta! Never had any warranty issues however I did order a turret from them, and it was to my door in 3 days!
Old 09-07-2022, 07:05 PM

That's an awful lot of scope for a hunting rifle. I think he may be better served by a Z5 in 3.5-18, and he can pocket a lot of change as well. I personally don't like 50mm scopes on hunting rifles. They generally need higher rings and mess up your cheek weld.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Hands down I would go with Leupold!! Light, accurate, maintain zero beautifully if mounted correct, and any warranty issues are dealt with here in Alberta! Never had any warranty issues however I did order a turret from them, and it was to my door in 3 days!
Interesting. Leupold over a Z5 swaro. Not the route I would go when you have the money for the swaro.
As said in another post, an 3.5x18 would suit your needs well
Old 09-07-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Interesting. Leupold over a Z5 swaro. Not the route I would go when you have the money for the swaro.
As said in another post, an 3.5x18 would suit your needs well
The fact that any issues with your scope can be resolved quickly speaks volumes, so does customer service, and to say you can’t purchase high end Leupold scopes is false, and yes every scope manufacturer has many of their products currently having warranty work done, last thing you want when hunting season comes is to have to buy another scope because your main is sitting in limbo! Like I said above if you’re looking for a good quality hunting scope Leupold is a great way to go!
Old 09-07-2022, 07:40 PM

I am a leupy guy but I am playing with a 5x25 at with the ballistic turret...jury is still out...it is on a 7rem mag...most of my shooting is range work...practicing now from 500 to 700yds...maybe 2 shots hunting each year...I find the glass on the swaro better for my tired eyes...lol...
Old 09-07-2022, 08:32 PM

I like Leupold but the Swarovski tops that choice. There was a time when every hunting and target rifle had a Leupold Goldring. All of the hunting rifles now have Swarovski Z3 and Z5 optics.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I like Leupold but the Swarovski tops that choice. There was a time when every hunting and target rifle had a Leupold Goldring. All of the hunting rifles now have Swarovski Z3 and Z5 optics.
This is how I would roll as well. I'm a peasant, so I'm running Nikon and Leupold, and will be upgrading to Swaro when funds permit.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:33 PM

I have Z3, Z5, Zeiss 6x20 conquest with mild dot reticle. and Leupold on hunting rifles. My favourite is the Z5 3.5x18x44 BRX reticle. Second is the 4.5x14x40 Boone and Crocket v3i, then the Zeiss. Zeiss has better glass than Leupold but the turrets don't lock, which can be tricky if you forget to check them prior to shooting but it is on my antelope and coyote rifle so the turrets dont get much of anything dragged across them in open country. . I can't imagine needing more than 18 power on a hunting rifle and I have old eyes. .
Old 09-08-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
I am a leupy guy but I am playing with a 5x25 at with the ballistic turret...jury is still out...it is on a 7rem mag...most of my shooting is range work...practicing now from 500 to 700yds...maybe 2 shots hunting each year...I find the glass on the swaro better for my tired eyes...lol...
5 x 25 is the Z5
Old 09-08-2022, 04:57 PM

Hey Mark, why the thumbs down on NF?
Old 09-08-2022, 05:18 PM

Mark may have different reasons but mine are, lousy glass and REALLY fargin heavy. Have had a couple. They are tough as a rock axe, so if ability to withstand abuse is the main consideration like the military there probably is no tougher made scope, but that really is their only major plus.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:41 PM

I have a Schmidt and bender 5x25x56 PM2 FFP MSR2 Reticle DT II+ MTC LT / ST II ZC LT. Its a fantastic scope glass is amazing the look of it the function of it everything about it.
I don't care that its larger than I need for hunting, it doesn't bother me that its heavy when walking for a while. I just know I have the best scope for all my needs with the rifle, but it wasn't cheap I got it whilst in England shipped from Germany, was £3,300 GBP but I know I will have it for life and always wanted one.
The decision is ultimately yours and I always got told whatever you spend on a rifle you should spend double on your optics.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Mark may have different reasons but mine are, lousy glass and REALLY fargin heavy. Have had a couple. They are tough as a rock axe, so if ability to withstand abuse is the main consideration like the military there probably is no tougher made scope, but that really is their only major plus.
I agree. Tried one for a season and sent it down the road. Subpar glass and very very heavy compared to others. Tough yes, but I don’t beat my rifle like the military do.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:43 PM

Default Z5 scope

Quote:
I have 2 of them 1 on a Sako 85 finnlight in 300 Wm and on the other on Browning A Bolt MT Ti in 7mm wsm they are great have shot out to 985yards great glass. They are not a True MOA scope and if you order a turret they work awesome, my son has one on his 338 wm.