Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 PM

Default Sq. Foot Cost to Build A House

Looking for any members info on what it would cost per sq. foot to build a house in the Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Leduc, Bashaw area.

Looking at doing a bungalow with stucco, in floor heat in the basement, vinyl plank, and some tile floor, granite in the kitchen and pending price maybe the rest of the bathrooms (3).
Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 PM

I can give you the name of a great contractor in the Bashaw area, he built two houses for us. Lots of variables when building, the cost per sq/ft can go up in a quick hurry depending on whats put inside!!! I know on both of our houses everytime you turn around you are dishing out $500 here $1000 there. All of it adds up and adds up quickly.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 PM

With land cost included or just material and labour cost ??
Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 AM

If you know, I don’t think it would be too hard to provide a rough material and labour example.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:48 AM

Land price fluctuates too greatly to put it with house sq ft price. Just a rough estimate leaving land out of the equation with the things you listed may put you in that $180-$200 per sq ft range. Perhaps less but better to over budget. I'm just a random guy on the internet so get your quotes and do your homework
Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Wildwood is correct that going rate for what finishes you described was in $200/sq ft area. However that was before our Alberta low oil price recession. I would guess that some builders with sharp pencils might be able to cut the cost somewhat, however need to watch that they do not cut the quality as well. Get good references from homes they built in last year or two when their backs were against the wall.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 AM

Exclamation

If you can swing it, build it yourself. I built my own house 2800 ft for under $40/sq ft. That was in 2001 when lumber prices were a hell of a lot higher than now, other than particle board which is at a real high, not sure the reason for that other than greed.
Paying someone $6000 to shingle a house in a day or $6000 to side a house in 2 days or $14,000 to mud and tape 2 floors in 3 days is insane.
Take the time, learn a few trades and do it yourself like I did. Start to finish it took me 7 months and I saved I would guess $250,000.00 - $350,000.00. Then a couple years later I built my shop, 40x50x12 and saved another $100,000.00. I had guys begging me to build shops for them here.
When I built my house, I was also running my main business, and was running the arena. I would get up at 5am, go work on the house until 4pm, run the arena until midnight and get a few hours sleep. Repeat until the house was done and saved how many thousand per day?
My only costs were feeding friends and family that helped, $2000 for blow-in insulation and $500 to get a guy to tape and mud the basement in 2 days. It's real good to know 'a guy'. I had friends that knew how to survey the footings, neighbor dug the basement with a payloader for $500. I had a floorlayer do the lino and carpet for $500 as well. As much as they want you to think all of this is rocket science, it is not.
I took out a homeowners permit for the gas, electric, heat. Minimal cost. Nelson lumber did the Blueprints.
Like I said, if possible at all look into it. It is wonderful having intimate knowledge of every single nail screw socket window door corner and flooring that you put in yourself, PLUS you know it is going to be square!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....