Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-26-2021, 01:01 PM

Default 2020/2021 coyote season

So these days I don't get much time for big days of coyote hunting which is where I often get good forum worthy stories so I'm going to keep adding to this thread as I make stands and (hopefully) kill coyotes.

2021/12/26
Sadly this year it was my turn to work Christmas weekend but luckily there's little more to do than make sure nothings broken.
With that in mind I took advantage of the cold north wind and headed for an early morning pre-work coyote stand.
This spot I have been waiting for perfect conditions as it is a perfect breeding ground for coyotes and always has lots of dogs and it has great potential for multiples.
After walking in and finding a place to sit I looked up to make a plan for where to place the foxpro. like a magical apparition there stood a coyote at 200 yards! It must have only just crested the hill as I stopped cause he stood there looking puzzled as I centered the crosshairs and shot him right there.
Amazed at my luck I quickly placed the Ecall and naturally realized after sitting down that the batteries were dead. Oh well not a problem I always bring the handcalls for this reason.
Not 1 minute after wailing away on a foxpro bite reed a coyote crested the hill and paused to eye it's fallen comrade. A quick blast on the call convinced it to cautiously keep coming. At 153 yards it checked up and started howling and barking at me. Knowing the gig was up no time was spent taking the shot. At the shot I heard the telltale WHUMP like a fastball hitting a pillow that told me this dog wasn't getting up. Only 5 min into the stand I kept up with the bite reed and after eyeing what seemed to be the stump of a fence post for forever I put the scope on it to see it had eyes and ears! Once again the bite reed came into play and coyote number 3 cautiously made its way in stopping at coyote#1. This old boy knew something was up cause after a quick look at his dead buddy he decided to leave. I barked him to a stop and hurriedly took the shot. as soon as the trigger broke I swore out loud as I knew I had rushed and hit the guts. Worried that I might have to track it and realizing I didn't have my phone (I was on call) I stopped the stand early and went up to find him dead as a doornail just 15 yards away. The 50gr vmax by some miracle never opened him up even with a gut shot.
Here's where the second one dropped. I was sitting right at the tip of the fence post.
PXL_20211226_160536421.MP by brad, on Flickr
PXL_20211226_161750210.MP by brad harder, on Flickr

And sadly they all had mites so I had to leave them where they sat which was a bummer

PXL_20211226_161919300.MP by brad harder, on Flickr

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-26-2021, 01:13 PM

Great story pal! I was just about to comment on the beautiful dark coloured dogs when I noticed the mites damage…. Would’ve been a great fur if not for the mites!
Old 12-26-2021, 01:50 PM

I love your stories. to bad they are not worthy to take home.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-26-2021, 02:05 PM

Excellent man. Just excellent. I’m on the cusp of starting an 8 day pursuit of the buggers here soon enough.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:09 PM

Very well done. As much as I love shooting coyotes I just can’t handle the cold anymore.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Very well done. As much as I love shooting coyotes I just can’t handle the cold anymore.
Should look into battery operated gear. Theres a fellow that haunts this forum now and then with electric gloves socks and vest which I would bet could keep a guy toasty as can be.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
I love your stories. to bad they are not worthy to take home.
So glad you guys like the stories. I love sharing them as long as others appreciate it.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
So glad you guys like the stories. I love sharing them as long as others appreciate it.
This an outdoors forum and what we look for so post away......refreshing to read posts like this. I'm hitting the woods this upcoming week to see what's out there.....and of course the coldest weather is upon us.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:32 PM

After a stressful day this was just the read I needed. Thank you!
Too bad about the mites.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend