Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2023, 04:30 PM

Default Hip replacement

Does anyone on here have experience with going out of country or province to get a hip replacement. I’m looking at least 2-3 years to get it done with ahs.
So far in 1.5 years all I’ve got is a phone consultation with surgeon.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:06 PM

Boy am I going to watch this thread.
Cna't even get on the list here inAlberta!

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 11-11-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
Boy am I going to watch this thread.
Cna't even get on the list here inAlberta!

Buddy just diagnosed with Parkinson's, sorry you're off the list.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-09-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysoil View Post
Does anyone on here have experience with going out of country or province to get a hip replacement. I’m looking at least 2-3 years to get it done with ahs.
If your on Facebook you could ask Rich Mellon he just went to the states and got it done I think he’s 209x50 on here
Old 11-10-2023, 02:47 PM

I have heard Germany offers better value than the US.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2023, 03:00 PM

Yikes. My wife at 45 years old needs a complete hip replacement. Looks like we are in for a long run. Hoping the government can help with disability. She's unable to work, hard to make due on 1 income these days.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:28 PM

Default India

I have an acquaintance that went to India. Not exactly sure where in India.

They said it was like a five star resort. They were there for three weeks. Got there had the surgery and then rehab after. They said they had a great time along with the conditions being amazing. 1/2 the price of US
Old 11-10-2023, 04:11 PM

Go figure. Lots of places offering private surgeries. This one is Sweden

https://www.nordorthopaedics.com/en/...SAAEgJ7HfD_BwE

Go figure. Also a magazine on travel surgeries.

https://www.magazine.medicaltourism....ip-replacement
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-13-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysoil View Post
Not with a hip replacement but my wife had a laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis back in September in Athens. My honest advice is that if you can afford it go and turn it into a holiday. Another thing make sure you get a letter from your doctor stating that you need the surgery and cannot get it in Canada in a timely matter. You may and I say MAY be able to get ahs to cover it. They gave us the middle finger because the surgeon in Edmonton phoned to book a consultation the morning my wife was going in.

Last edited by Jack fish hunter; 11-13-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 03:11 PM

People cry that they don't want health care to go private,then they run to other countries and pay for it there .
Right now we are just back logged because of Covid .
Going to take 10 years to catch up now
Old 11-13-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
People cry that they don't want health care to go private,then they run to other countries and pay for it there .
Right now we are just back logged because of Covid .
Going to take 10 years to catch up now
Personally I support both systems but when you get the run around for 8 years you get to the point where you decide to say **** it lets spend our savings and get it dealt with.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:26 PM

So here's how it works. If you live in Alberta and need a surgery that the province covers then you can't be charged for that by the surgeon. However if you live in Alberta and want to pay out of pocket you can go to Ontario and pay for that surgery. The reverse is also true, the patient in Ontario cannot pay for a surgery that the province covers, but he can go to Alberta and pay for that surgery in a private clinic. Its a loophole in Medicare.
The end result is the surgeons in Alberta and Ontario refer to each other the patients that are prepared to pay out of pocket. The surgeons do them in the private clinic and its way more lucrative for them financially then doing the same surgery for an Alberta resident that gets paid for by Alberta Health.
So the private clinic referral from Ontario gets bumped to the top of the list because it pays better, while the Alberta resident waits behind the Ontario resident for the Alberta surgeon.
The government turns a blind eye because every surgery sent out of province is 1 more they don't have to pay for, so it works for everybody, except the resident who can't pay and is on the waiting list. Surgeon gets top dollar and the province doesn't have to pay anything.
And thats how a dual system screws the guy who can't pay.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:42 PM

When I was having knee issues earlier this year I looked into it and there are clinics in Calgary where you do all your pre-op work, fly to Vancouver or Montreal and the surgeon who did your pre-op flys out as well and does the surgery in a private clinic, then you fly home and see the same surgeon for post-op follow up.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:54 AM

Dean, it's good to hear you're getting fixed up. It's kind of like bringing the old hot rod in for some new suspension.

You mentioned everything went well and quick.

Are there any pains starting to set in now? I've heard many times of things going well initially. Followed a day or two later by the real pain. Hopefully this isn't the case.

What are the plans now? Taking up dancing? Mountain climbing? Karate?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Dean, it's good to hear you're getting fixed up. It's kind of like bringing the old hot rod in for some new suspension.

You mentioned everything went well and quick.

Are there any pains starting to set in now? I've heard many times of things going well initially. Followed a day or two later by the real pain. Hopefully this isn't the case.

What are the plans now? Taking up dancing? Mountain climbing? Karate?

Surgery was the 29th of Nov, flew home yesterday Dec 2nd. Two hours at the airport and 4 on the plane plus one in the car from the airport home was a bit trying. Would have been a whole bunch less trying if I could have done this locally.

Still no real pain to speak of. The muscles got really stiff yesterday from so much sitting around, even with focusing on moving around fairly regularly too keep them looser. The first couple of days, 29th and 30th, they had me on 2 regular strength Tylenol every 4 hours, but it was more preventative than anything. I never did need any of the Delodid they supplied as part of the medication package. From Dec 1, I don't need to take any kind of pain meds, not even Tylenol, on a regular basis. If I start to get a twinge I will take one Tylenol and that pretty much takes care of it for the next 14 hours or so. Got to say I am greatly impressed but how well this went and how little discomfort I have. Biggest challenge right now is not over doing it. Physio lady was REALLY clear about the need to take it easy the first couple of weeks and not try to walk too far or too fast. She wants to see limis of 200 meters a day total first week, no more than 400 a day, second week.

My wife is really looking forward to us being able to go dancing again, it was something we both enjoyed a lot. Other bright spots are being able to travel so much more easily and get around out hunting better. I found it hard to go far this fall, plan to work hard to get back to my old form. Thanks for the good wishes.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Surgery was the 29th of Nov, flew home yesterday Dec 2nd. Two hours at the airport and 4 on the plane plus one in the car from the airport home was a bit trying. Would have been a whole bunch less trying if I could have done this locally.

Still no real pain to speak of. The muscles got really stiff yesterday from so much sitting around, even with focusing on moving around fairly regularly too keep them looser. The first couple of days, 29th and 30th, they had me on 2 regular strength Tylenol every 4 hours, but it was more preventative than anything. I never did need any of the Delodid they supplied as part of the medication package. From Dec 1, I don't need to take any kind of pain meds, not even Tylenol, on a regular basis. If I start to get a twinge I will take one Tylenol and that pretty much takes care of it for the next 14 hours or so. Got to say I am greatly impressed but how well this went and how little discomfort I have. Biggest challenge right now is not over doing it. Physio lady was REALLY clear about the need to take it easy the first couple of weeks and not try to walk too far or too fast. She wants to see limis of 200 meters a day total first week, no more than 400 a day, second week.

My wife is really looking forward to us being able to go dancing again, it was something we both enjoyed a lot. Other bright spots are being able to travel so much more easily and get around out hunting better. I found it hard to go far this fall, plan to work hard to get back to my old form. Thanks for the good wishes.
That's good to hear. Yes I bet the hardest and most uncomfortable part is just not doing anything for the recovery period. I bet you'll be glad when that's over.

Old 12-12-2023, 06:14 PM

Default Timely surgery in Toronto

hi guys, I came across this thread and feel compelled to reply, because I feel the private clinics are taking advantage of people's desperation and charging exorbitant amounts of money.

Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto will do hip replacements quickly (like within 3 months), and won't charge you at all (it'll be completely covered by Alberta health insurance). Of course you'll have to pay for your own flight and hotel stay. The referral link is below

https://sunnybrook.ca/content/?page=...-refer-patient
Old 12-12-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingtheGalaxy View Post
hi guys, I came across this thread and feel compelled to reply, because I feel the private clinics are taking advantage of people's desperation and charging exorbitant amounts of money.

Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto will do hip replacements quickly (like within 3 months), and won't charge you at all (it'll be completely covered by Alberta health insurance). Of course you'll have to pay for your own flight and hotel stay. The referral link is below

https://sunnybrook.ca/content/?page=...-refer-patient
Maybe your onto something , my neighbour went Sunnybrook a month after I went to clear point and yes AHS paid for her replacement
Certainly worth checking out