Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 PM

Default Disaster in Slave Lake

Guys and girls, your prayers are needed for the town and area and all who are there.

The fire has hit the town, the southeast side is burning. A full evacuation is in effect.
I heard from my brother-in-law and he got out to the south east ( Hwy 2 ) but the highway to the west is closed. I guess its a mass movement of people and a lot of panic.

Those who believe in a higher Power - pray to Him now.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Who is handling the fire control? Have you got a phone number? Maybe we can get some equipment up there?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 PM

I know Mel Knight is on site as of "breaking news" at 7:10 this evening, so its SRD and local Fire for sure. I know everyone in SRD and the HeliTack crews from High Prairie are there.

I'm not sure what # you could reach anyone.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM

Residents of Slave Lake are being asked to go to safe spaces.

Sustainable Resource Development says an out of control wild fire has jumped Highway 2 and Highway 88. Winds are gusting as much as 100 kilometres per hour.

The town's website is advising residents to move towards large green areas, beaches, or large parking lots.

A water ban is also in effect. The town says water should only be used for fire fighting until further notice.

The town is asking residents not to leave on highways because they are closed.

http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg...spx?ID=1418160
Old 05-15-2011, 07:37 PM

SLFD has a dedicated phone line, one of very few working in the area.

I just talked to the Fire Chief there, he says they are desperate for (trained) crews and equipment. Our Area Head told me that if the Province asks for mutual Aide we will roll, but are under high alert with the dry conditions and wind ourselves.

Gear is packed and ready to roll, just waiting on that phone call. I am sure that all departments within 100 miles are there already. I sure hope things straighten out for them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 05-15-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Good to know, Ken. I'm sure they could use all help possible.

I lived in Slave for 9 years, have lots of friends, family and memories there.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM

According to texts and phone calls from family and friends, its just chaos. It would be a big job getting 10,000 people out on one highway.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Just got a text from my BIL that they have opened Highway 2 south to Edmonton
Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Default Slave Lake disaster

My tournament fishing partner, Marvin Koizumi and myself, Cody Earl are going to donate our $1000.00 Anglers Cup entry fee to the Alberta Red Cross. They will be needed to help support those in and around Slave Lake with temporary housing, clothing, food and the neccessities of life for the many, many who have lost their dreams and memories to these massive forest fires. We hope this donation will show what Albertans and Canadians are all about.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 AM

It was an awful day at work (Lac La Biche Air Tanker Base). The pilots told their stories when they got back and they were both unbelievable and extemely disheartening. Since the moment we heard that Slave was pretty much gone we all felt numb. It was so surreal. We went from hoping to have an overtime day to just wishing it would end and turn out to be a bad dream.

They sent us the Bird Dog plane from the Slave base and when the Air Attack Officer came into the office he broke down for a few moments in a room. I guess he lost his house but kept fufilling his duties as an AAO all day long. I can't imagine what he is going through right now.

If I wasn't working at the base at the moment I would try to volunteer with the department at Slave to help out anyway I could. Being an EMR and firefighter I feel my skills are being wasted at the base but nonetheless duty calls and the water bombers need to roll.

If anyone has any questions about the water bombers or anything feel free to PM me. Can't guarantee I will respond ASAP but do my best.

Tags
fire, slave lake