Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: fishing courses needed?
yes, so we can save our lakes and rivers 70 41.92%
No way 98 58.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM
camogirl

Default Should there be fishing courses to get a fishing licence??

I look at posts and i see that alot of people debate on the issue of more catch and release in our lakes and rivers, i believe that if we have to take a hunting course , we should all have to take a fishing course to get our fishing license! Maybe that otta teach people some common sence, and respect so that our kids , and grand children can catch trophys when were old and grey!
People should atleast be able to read, and understand the regulations

Lets save our fish!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM

I agree
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camogirl View Post
I look at posts and i see that alot of people debate on the issue of more catch and release in our lakes and rivers, i believe that if we have to take a hunting course , we should all have to take a fishing course to get our fishing license! Maybe that otta teach people some common sence, and respect so that our kids , and grand children can catch trophys when were old and grey!
People should atleast be able to read, and understand the regulations

Lets save our fish!
Finally , someone with the same train of thought as I . You have to take a course to be able to hunt , to drive a boat , why not fishing . It might make the mortality rate of fish go down . Proper handleing wouldnt be such a bad thing for people to learn .
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM

More regulations = more FREEDOM lost...

Want more regs ....move here to Ontario......it's sickenning here...
very corrupt too....

They have limited coyotes to 2 per hunter/year....need hunting card $30.00, small game licence $22.00 and $10.00 coyote tags each..2 limit...
for residents!!!

fishing licence cost me $74.00 for the year!!!
moose is $50.00....pay first then apply for lottery with 7% success rate..(calculated at 1 tag every 33 years)..if you don't draw a tag they keep your money....!!...thank suckers...

you are allowed 1 walleye over 18"

Game wardens take fishing licence revenues and secretly stock their own secret lakes while sending you on wild goose chases to empty lakes that are supposed to be stocked....

This is what has become of regulations in Ontario....
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

Cool

I agree ,but all license revenue MUST be returned to the fishery ,fines,tags,environment infractions. the money generated must be put back in to improving albertas fisherys. otherwise just an other government money grab. an age limit of 16 must also be installed. younger than that a child should be free to fish as they wish.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 PM

If were going to bring something like that in, why not bring in a fishing rod registry while were at it. Makes about the same amount of sense.

Last edited by bigfishen; 02-28-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM

The hunter's education course was to show people the differences between species, tracks, outdoor survival etc... I think a educational course for fishing would be a great idea. Some people were just not raised in an outdoor environment and need to be taught the right way. It is important to identify what species they are pulling out of the waters. Same as taking down any other animal, you need to know what it is that you shot before the shot or you could end up in big trouble! I would like to see more educated people vs. winging it and feeding others b.s when they have no clue..
Old 02-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
If were going to bring something like that in, why not bring in a fishing rod registry while were at it. Makes about the same amount of sense.
i agree !!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
Have to have licence # on the rod in 2" block letters so they can be seen from 100 ft away.

Have to take a 8 hr course and pay your fee.
I would bet 1/2 the people that have the boating licence could not pass the course again if written with out looking at the book. What a joke! Pay your money , take the test online with book infront of you.

Too many differant rules and regs allready to keep up with.

Make two rules and regs

# 1 - so many fish at this slot size, this type or size of hook, and only one rod hard water or open water.

# 2 - CLOSED to fishing.

covers all lakes.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

You might as well throw in the requirement to have courses to camp, hike, swim, ski, snowboard, quad, snowmobile, fly a kite, ride a bike, fly a remote controlled model aeroplane, snorkel, snowshoe, jog, walk...........

It'll be a sad day when a kid can't go down to the local pond and throw a line in because he doesn't have a course, but hey...........If it only saves the life of one fish the course would be worth it.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
camogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You might as well throw in the requirement to have courses to camp, hike, swim, ski, snowboard, quad, snowmobile, fly a kite, ride a bike, fly a remote controlled model aeroplane, snorkel, snowshoe, jog, walk...........

It'll be a sad day when a kid can't go down to the local pond and throw a line in because he doesn't have a course, but hey...........If it only saves the life of one fish the course would be worth it.
obviously not for children who will be accompanied by an adult with a fishing licence, teaching them the proper way of fishing !
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnummike View Post

very corrupt too....

They have limited coyotes to 2 per hunter/year....need hunting card $30.00, small game licence $22.00 and $10.00 coyote tags each..2 limit...
for residents!!!

moose is $50.00....pay first then apply for lottery with 7% success rate..(calculated at 1 tag every 33 years)..if you don't draw a tag they keep your money....!!...thank suckers...

Game wardens take fishing licence revenues and secretly stock their own secret lakes while sending you on wild goose chases to empty lakes that are supposed to be stocked....

WOW don't know what Ont. your from
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

I am not in favor of a fishing course, everything you need to know is in the regulations including how to release and identify fish. Maby if it was just a test like how hunting used to be I could see it but kids under 16 have no licence so what would you do about them? Perhaps if they would suspend a persons fishing licence untill a test was taken when they saw an angler releasing fish improperly or when a regulation is broken with ignorance as the excuse, I could see that working.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM

To "hunterdave" Just because I hunt whitetails, does that mean I do not need to know what a mule deer looks like, or because I hunt sharpies I dont need to know what a hen pheasant looks like?? Or a person who only fishes stocked trout, they should still know what a bull trout or walleye look like!! Same goes for the boating exam.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

very corrupt too....

for residents!!!

Move up north, it's not nearly like that.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:

very corrupt too....

for residents!!!

2012 Fees

Product Availability
Products
Ontario Residents
Buy Online*
Automated
Telephone
Licensing Line **
1-800-288-1155

Licence Issuers at this link *
Outdoors Card $ 9.68
Three-year Sport Fishing Licence Tag $ 83.29
Three-year Conservation Fishing Licence Tag $ 47.70
One-year Sport Fishing Licence Tag $ 27.76
One-year Conservation Fishing Licence Tag $ 15.90
One-day Sport Fishing Licence $ 12.67
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned

Cool

use the new test to generate funds for more enforcement. and children should be except under a certain age.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Banned

I don't want any more regulations than there already are.

How much for a fishing course? $50? Well that would increase my yearly fishing permits by 300%.

Ever fished in BC?????
Well, if we want to follow their model.

All streams with cutthroats would require a $40 Cutthroat Stream Tag.
All Streams with Bulls would require a $25 Bull Trout Conservation Stamp.
K-Lakes would require a Stamp with a tag system for Rainbows over 50cm.

Bow River would require a Bow River conservation Stamp. $50.

Trophy Pike >100cm would require a Trophy Pike Tag. 1 per person per season and once your tag is filled you can no longer fish Trophy Pike Waters. Tag is $85 +GST.

What am I missing?

Hmmm,

Sturgeon Fishing in the Bow, Oldman, SSR, Red Deer, NSR etc would require a Sturgeon Conservation Stamp $50 with no bait fishing allowed if you dont have the stamp.

Oh yeah, and on top of that, Everything in ES1 and ES2 is "Classified Waters" which requires a $20 CW Tag for residents, and a $40/day license for non-residents which must be renewed daily.

Sounds great. This will increase enforcement by SRD.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camogirl View Post
Maybe that otta teach people some common sence, :

COMMON SENSE CAN NOT BE TAUGHT. Everything that needs to be known is in the fishing regs, does everyone read them...NOPE.

Do you own a boat??? Did you take the boating exam ??? What did you learn from that ??? I did and learned all about the buoy markers that we dont use in alberta...

Want a healthy population of fish...lobby that healthy spawner fish get released not protected for 7-10 yrs and when they are able to spawn they can be taken to the freezer...just my opinion

Last edited by Shmag; 02-28-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Banned

Look at it really You take a driving test people still speed, run red light, drive with no insurance.... You take a hunting test people still poach, still shoot the wrong game,hunt in the wrong place at the wrong time, You take a boat operators test no need to even explain it's a joke What makes you think it will change because its a fishing test......!!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 PM

I think it's a good idea, normally I'm not in agreement with more "GOV.", but..We are licensed anyway, and an on line course every two years would not be to intrusive. The biggest benefit I can see is that we would in effect telling people, we value this resource. We value it enough, that we think it's worth making sure all Albertans understand the regulations and respect our resource. I think a lot of peoples attitudes would change if they understood how fragile our resource is in this province, it's easy to loss sight off when your hammering big post spawn fish in the early season. Someone that doesn't get out much thinks the fish are unlimited. The hardcore poachers, it probably won't have much effect on, other than to make them uncomfortable knowing people are being taught, that their "the poachers" action can be detrimental to a fishery. Who knows who will turn them in.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 AM

I just turned 58....this fall will be my 50th year of hunting, I've been fishing longer. Never had a course to do either and don't want one! If you need some help, read a book, or go out with someone that knows something. If you think the only way to learn is to take a course, then go for it, but please don't be a hypocrite and try and force one on the rest of us.

It wasn't that long ago that I had to write a challenge exam to get a pal. Thought the exam was a joke, but I had to take it because I could no longer purchase ammo without one. I had managed to go through life without an FAC or a PAL. But suddenly I couldn't even but a box of 22's. Kind of a pain in the butt when you own lots of firearms and you can no longer feed them. My ownership of firearms predates most of the silly rules.

Now if I'd been a native guy I could have an elder make his mark on my application and I would have received a PAL for free. Unfortunately I'm a white guy and my elder’s endorsement is not valid. I had to take the course or challenge the test. Under Bill C 68 only first nation’s elders are skilled enough to vouch for their youth.

My grandfather spent 6 years in Europe in WW1, he returned to Canada and returned to his trap line and carried a firearm pretty much daily. He taught me to shoot and hunt fish and trap. Apparently he was not qualified to vouch for me I had to pay to take a stupid test.

My 4 uncles grew up in a subsistence hunting family. Between them they have 39 years military service, 21 years of it in WW2 in Europe. Two of them returned to trap lines. Apparently they were not qualified to vouch for me I had to pay to take a stupid test.

My father grew up in a subsistence hunting family. He went to war like his brothers he re enlisted after the war. He has 38 years military service. He taught me to shoot hunt and fish. Apparently he was not qualified to vouch for me I had to pay to take a stupid test.

So several lifetimes of bush experience and 83 years of military experience and training but it’s not good enough to teach or vouch for my skills. Only old native folks have that skill according to bill C 68. What ever bonehead crafted this house of cards believes that only first nations have a right to hunt and as hunters they skill with firearms and they will train their children. Apparently non first nation’s people are not capable of teaching our children. Am I the only one that can see a constitutional challenge under the charter of rights and freedoms here?

Back to me, I was trained to hunt fish and shoot by the government trained family members I have mentioned. They had decades of government funded training but they are perceived as not good enough to vouch for someone. Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that the government does not recognise their own training programs?

When I was twelve I completed the dominion marksman program at CFB 3 Wing Germany and earned a gold medal in all disciplines. At 16 I entered the militia and spent four summers and one day a week training. Apparently this training was also no good as I had to take the stupid government test.

I think the firearms test is a joke, it does not test if someone is safe with a firearm it measures weather or not someone can regurgitate some acronyms. You young folks who think you’ve learned something because you can pass this test need to give your head a shake.

Now you want to create some equally useless fish test. Why not just get in the government lobotomy line and fall silent?

Actually fishing regs even come with pictures of fish if you can’t figure it out without a course and a test you might need a new past time. Please stop all the social engineering to address your shortcomings; I’m sick of everyone else’s issue having to be mine. WTF do you have to do in this country to be left in peace?

Hey I'm a trained chef. I don't think untrained people should be allowed to purchase food! They don't know what they are doing, they are not safe , they don't have a government issued certificate. Yeah that's it, take the government test or forgo your right to eat!

So your response to my food training idea....pretty much my response to your fish training idea.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Do you really think a fishing course is the answer to peoples ignorance in following the regulations that we already have. Every one has to take a course to drive and follow the laws but you would never would know it when you are out on are roads.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyfish View Post
Every one has to take a course to drive.
Since when? Gawd I'm getting old. Back in the dark ages when I grew up we just had to take a written test and a road test. Courses were voluntary. Damn government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

i have read 4 pages on this thread and put my own 2 bits worth in. there has been some good and bad ideas from both sides of this debate and i have found it quite informative and entertaining. being fairly new to this site (and the internet) i especially get a kick out of how quickly some of the members take things to a personal level. i,d love to see some of their p.m.s, and can only guess that there are some long standing fueds going on, or perhaps were all getting a little cabin fever after this big snowfall. in any case i really enjoy reading all the different threads.
p.s. may i suggest couples therepy or a boxing ring for few of you?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM
camogirl

Thumbs up lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i have read 4 pages on this thread and put my own 2 bits worth in. There has been some good and bad ideas from both sides of this debate and i have found it quite informative and entertaining. Being fairly new to this site (and the internet) i especially get a kick out of how quickly some of the members take things to a personal level. I,d love to see some of their p.m.s, and can only guess that there are some long standing fueds going on, or perhaps were all getting a little cabin fever after this big snowfall. In any case i really enjoy reading all the different threads.
P.s. May i suggest couples therepy or a boxing ring for few of you?
lol
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i have read 4 pages on this thread and put my own 2 bits worth in. there has been some good and bad ideas from both sides of this debate and i have found it quite informative and entertaining. being fairly new to this site (and the internet) i especially get a kick out of how quickly some of the members take things to a personal level. i,d love to see some of their p.m.s, and can only guess that there are some long standing fueds going on, or perhaps were all getting a little cabin fever after this big snowfall. in any case i really enjoy reading all the different threads.
p.s. may i suggest couples therepy or a boxing ring for few of you?
Bbbbbbaby