Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM

Default Is this F&W solution to unsustainable trout harvest at Cold Lake?

Many of the people I talk to out at Cold lake seem to think that we could never fish the lake out. Had a stranger walk up to me the other day and tell me I should have kept the 87cm trout i released. Personally I choose to slot size fish and keep nothing over 75 and the smaller the better IMO. Cold lake is a rare lake producing great lake trout fishing and being easily accessed by thousands of people each year. I just want to share some information that may help persuade someone from taking more fish than they need or be able would enjoy.

It is my understanding that the harvest rate and incidental mortality rate have been at or above sustainable levels to keep up with natural reproduction for a number of years. I believe this article states that clearly.

http://www.coldlakesun.com/2011/05/0...ut-alberta-srd

If i have interpreted the information properly after stocking 2 million lake trout over 22 years the lake trout population was hovering around a whopping 25 000 fish in 1985 (On a side note I believe if I believe If an effort this extensive was made to reestablish a lake trout population in Touchwood lake we would have two lake trout lakes in the lake land area). Since 1985 Cold Lakes lake trout population has significantly improved by means of natural reproduction, and over the past 28 years the population has grown to nearly 500 000 fish.

Fishing isn't always about putting something in your belly. Every once in a while its good to learn something new and put something between your ears.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Well said. Lake trout are not that common out here in Alberta and this prized game fish should be carefully managed.

Each one of us can do their own part in making good choices on harvesting our game fish.

It all starts with good information and understanding the impact we exert on each fishery.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 PM

It was pretty easy for me, went a bunch of times, never caught anything in slot size.

Spent a grand or 2 getting down rigger, gear, better fishfinder, caught a ton of huge fish in slot size, kept and ate one.

It was terrible, I don't fish for lake trout anymore.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM

Conservation is the name of the game. We are lucky as fisherman/women in that we can pull fish out of the water all day long with all fish going back to the lake. This does take a)skill to catch fish all day, but more importantly b)caution and common sense to safely release fish. As a hunter catch and release isnt really an option. For those who NEED to keep their limit, wouldnt a tag system such as the walleye draw be a more effective way to manage all fish populations? For example if someone wanted to fish perch for a year get a book of 25 tags; catch them all at once or through out the year its their choice but it would limit the freezers full of fish. even though they are suppose to fall within the possession limits. i dont know just a little rant i guess. i had some extended family that always fished until they caught thier limit and it just didnt sit right.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Conservation is the name of the game. We are lucky as fisherman/women in that we can pull fish out of the water all day long with all fish going back to the lake. This does take a)skill to catch fish all day, but more importantly b)caution and common sense to safely release fish. As a hunter catch and release isnt really an option. For those who NEED to keep their limit, wouldnt a tag system such as the walleye draw be a more effective way to manage all fish populations? For example if someone wanted to fish perch for a year get a book of 25 tags; catch them all at once or through out the year its their choice but it would limit the freezers full of fish. even though they are suppose to fall within the possession limits. i dont know just a little rant i guess. i had some extended family that always fished until they caught thier limit and it just didnt sit right.
Depends on the water body. If it will support catch and keep then allow it. If tags are needed so be it, it is just one management tool. If it will support a 3 fish 1fish or 10, you dont need tags to blanket the province. Hunters have the choice shoot dont shoot. You have the same option as a fisherman.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM

I would support a wider regulation with a specific max limit tag system for specific lakes and/or specific species which are vulnerable to over-harvest for sure.

That's a good idea.

I don't think it would work province wide for a "one shoe fits all" approach.

Perch would have to be lake specific for sure - there are many lakes over-run with the stinky little striped piranhas that need a larger harvest in order to benefit the other species within that lake.

There are few Pike lakes that are the same - over-run with hammer handles.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM

Always keep one 70-80cm. Love bbq'd lake trout! Let the bigger guys swim. Maybe im just getting used to catching them, but every trip the fishing is better! Im sure If i counted the fish i mark in a day it would be in the hundreds, maybe more... Lol. Definately think its a stable fishery, but agree that a slot size would increase the number of larger 20+ lbers. Although i think the big guys are there, see some pretty big marks on the sonar, just think they have seen their fair share of jigs. Great thread and article! Love Lake trout, and thankfull that we have such a great lake close to home!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM

Im gonna bring one home for the smoker this weekend, its my legal right. Will put everything else back.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM

nothing wrong with that. everyone likes a tasty treat!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Banned

Default jgyggfkhvh

ukriy grtyk gfgnm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alta beach wallie 1.jpg (25.2 KB, 132 views)